PDA

View Full Version : Hiring from a temp service

op25ttfd
11-08-2011, 06:58 PM
I am wondering what you guys thoughts are on using a temp service. I am thinking of this route because as of right now I am only cutting and working on lawn care on my days off from the firehouse and it seems I cant find someone who can work part time due to my work schedule. Is using a temp service a good idea?

bruces
11-08-2011, 08:14 PM
I would say your taking a chance .The people you hire ,will be generally "out of work " once they learn that people make money cutting grass ,theres a good chance you just created a competitor .Also ,my buddy used to work for a service like that ,the service took a few bucks an hour from his wages ,so supposing your not paying much to begin with ,your new helper would probably feel a little under appreciated . I have to say,that hiring somebody can net you the exact same problems ,but I feel that if the guy felt he had a job ,he might show a little more loyalty .

op25ttfd
11-09-2011, 07:27 AM
That is a very good point, I just have to find a way to get help. I have enough work to keep someone busy when I am off from the firehouse but I believe its gonna be hard to find someone to work like that.

Steve
11-09-2011, 02:13 PM
This is a very interesting question. I think last year or so, one of our members hired employees through temp agencies and found a lot of success from it. He liked that the temp agency handled all the employment comp payments and tax issues for that temp worker and all he had to do was send in one check.

Here is one post where musician/lawnman (http://www.gopherforum.com/member.php?u=4257) explains what he did with his hiring. There are other posts he has made. If you do a search, you might find them helpful.

Let me know how this works out.

What to know about hiring employees (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=10881)

vl2007
11-13-2011, 04:45 PM
I use temp labor all the time! Workmans comp, ss, tax, all paid for. I get great help also, legal help!

Steve
11-14-2011, 11:07 AM
I use temp labor all the time! Workmans comp, ss, tax, all paid for. I get great help also, legal help!

What is your view on the benefits or negatives about using temp labor the way you do vs having a part time or full time employee?