PDA

View Full Version : C.C.Lawn Care & Snow Removal

chucklewellen
11-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Hi everyone my name is Chuck Lewellen,I am in the process of starting my own lawn care & snow removal business.I am starting out small by using 2 everyday riding tractors,a push mower and a couple of weed whackers,I bought and old Chevy pick up with a recently rebuilt motor and transmission.I would like to know how I should go about getting started.I have tried to find grants available,but with no luck(please help).I have gotten all the paperwork from the state to apply for licenses,but man are they expensive.I have got 2 customers so far for lawn care,and 6 for snow removal,could I get some direction on how to charge customers,some have told me I will not succeed,but I am very strong willed and I will survive.I am the only employee right now should I start out as a sole proprietor,or as an LLC(sugestions appreciated.I will take all help I can get.I live this type of business and couldn't be any happier trying to make this work.Looking forward to talking to you all ,hope we all have a prosperous season.

Steve
11-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Hi Chuck,

Welcome to our forum!

I have got 2 customers so far for lawn care,and 6 for snow removal,could I get some direction on how to charge customers

It sounds like you are doing good so far. How are you currently charging these customers? Are you happy with the amount of profit you are making from it?

chucklewellen
11-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks for letting me join your group,You asked if I am happy with what I am making and the answer is no,with just starteing out I have been charging whatever I feel is right in my mind.I have no idea what I should be charging customers.I know I have just started the business but I have made absolutely no money at all to put back into the business . Please help!!!

jymie
11-05-2011, 09:45 AM
I just posted in this thread

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=15077

I hope that helps!

Steve
11-07-2011, 03:02 AM
Thanks for letting me join your group,You asked if I am happy with what I am making and the answer is no,with just starteing out I have been charging whatever I feel is right in my mind.I have no idea what I should be charging customers.I know I have just started the business but I have made absolutely no money at all to put back into the business

Hi Chuck,

A lot of our members are in your same boat and can learn from this discussion, so let's look into this situation a bit more.

Up to this point you said you have been charging what ever you feel in your mind. For your average lawn mowing job or your commercial plowing jobs, what does that come out per job? When you compare similar jobs, are you finding you are charging a similar price or do your prices vary from job to job even if they are the same size and take the same time to perform?

chucklewellen
11-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Hey Steve ,Thanks for asking,on small size yards less than an 1/8 acre i have been charging 75.00,any thing over an acre i have charged 100.00 to 300.00 depending on obstacles,and thats on mowing.On snow removal i charge 10.00 on small driveways,as equal to a 1 car garage,if its a 2 car garage style driveway i have ben charging 25.00.Anything over that i am not really sure we dont have many around here over that,got any hints,i have set a time line that if i am not making money to put back into the business by november 30,2012 i will give it up as a full time job,and reduce everything to a part time status.

Clays Landscape
11-08-2011, 08:14 AM
Hey Steve ,Thanks for asking,on small size yards less than an 1/8 acre i have been charging 75.00,any thing over an acre i have charged 100.00 to 300.00 depending on obstacles,and thats on mowing.

Small yards, $75 for mowing?!?! Wow, I wish I could get that for the yards I do. A small yard around here in Va. will bring $35.

Steve
11-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Are you concerned about the $10 fee for the small driveways? Ultimately should there be a minimum that is worth your time to get there, perform the service and leave?

Will $10 cover it?

Dragger
11-09-2011, 06:37 AM
Hey Steve ,Thanks for asking,on small size yards less than an 1/8 acre i have been charging 75.00,any thing over an acre i have charged 100.00 to 300.00 depending on obstacles,and thats on mowing.On snow removal i charge 10.00 on small driveways,as equal to a 1 car garage,if its a 2 car garage style driveway i have ben charging 25.00.Anything over that i am not really sure we dont have many around here over that,got any hints,i have set a time line that if i am not making money to put back into the business by november 30,2012 i will give it up as a full time job,and reduce everything to a part time status.

your prices may be why your seeing lack of work .

Here in Virginia my small city yards are $30 and an acre is $50 .I cut an acre in about an hour so $50 an hour is what I base my price on.
As far as your snow plowing prices your way to low on them.A single care drive way I drop my blade for $35 a push and go up from there,figure 100 an hour for a truck with plow and 25-35 for snow shoveling an hour.
Try using this calculator calculator (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?p=43299#post43299) to figure your time and cost to do a job
Good luck and the first couple years are the hardest

nickeckes
11-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Hey Steve ,Thanks for asking,on small size yards less than an 1/8 acre i have been charging 75.00,any thing over an acre i have charged 100.00 to 300.00.

You Charge That Much And Your Not Making any money :confused: i make about $25 on a average size ranch style house.. . that takes me usully 20-30min . . . Your prices are way to much.....