PDA

View Full Version : Mower doesnt want to start

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-01-2011, 03:51 PM
My back up walk behind wouldnt start. Its a old proline with a fb460. I used it two weeks ago and tried to use it today. This is how I used it all year. The gas was two weeks old also. Even though I dont think the gas was bad I drained it out and emptied the bowl. Then put gas from this week that was used in my other mowers in.

I put a new plug in and had no spark with it but the old plug did spark lightly.

I unplugged some of the safety wires and that didnt help. I also cleaned the air filter.

A few times in a row it did try to start and when I went to take choke off died. Then I couldnt get it to repeat.

So do you think this is bad gas, carb, or electrical?

wandfsmall
11-01-2011, 04:09 PM
My back up walk behind wouldnt start. Its a old proline with a fb460. I used it two weeks ago and tried to use it today. This is how I used it all year. The gas was two weeks old also. Even though I dont think the gas was bad I drained it out and emptied the bowl. Then put gas from this week that was used in my other mowers in.

I put a new plug in and had no spark with it but the old plug did spark lightly.

I unplugged some of the safety wires and that didnt help. I also cleaned the air filter.

A few times in a row it did try to start and when I went to take choke off died. Then I couldnt get it to repeat.

So do you think this is bad gas, carb, or electrical?

with the fact it tried to start with the choke on I would say clean the carb first.

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-01-2011, 04:19 PM
with the fact it tried to start with the choke on I would say clean the carb first.

Thats what I'm going to try in the morning. I did drain it and there wasnt dirt in the bowl. The carb cleaner can wouldnt spray so I didnt go any further then that. It did only try to start 3-4 times and that was after I poured gas in the air cleaner housing. I just want to be prepared on what to do next before I give up and store it for the winter.

wandfsmall
11-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Thats what I'm going to try in the morning. I did drain it and there wasnt dirt in the bowl. The carb cleaner can wouldnt spray so I didnt go any further then that. It did only try to start 3-4 times and that was after I poured gas in the air cleaner housing. I just want to be prepared on what to do next before I give up and store it for the winter.

you could just try mechanic in a bottle, it seems to work for me some of the time and is a lot easier then cleaning them.

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-01-2011, 08:01 PM
you could just try mechanic in a bottle, it seems to work for me some of the time and is a lot easier then cleaning them.

I did put mechanic in a bottle and a water remover in the new gas.

Steve
11-02-2011, 04:18 AM
Could the plug be fouled now and not be giving you enough spark?

wandfsmall
11-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Could the plug be fouled now and not be giving you enough spark?

yes it also could be a voltage problem but the most likely is still the carb.

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Put brand new gas in and cleaned the carb with wire and spray. At first it wouldnt start then it did but would die at full speed. I then put the new plug in and it ran right. This is the same plug that had no spark yesterday. Not sure if the carb was the problem or the coil is going.

strength
11-02-2011, 07:46 PM
take off air filter look in the air vent hole over the cylinder u should be able to see the coil make sure u don't have a loose wire grounding out in there its happened to me before mine would start and at full throttle die because wire would move around and ground out same fb460.kaw 12.5

Steve
11-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Can you check that with a continuity tester?

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Can you check that with a continuity tester?

If I knew the specs.

Strength: Ill look in there if it does the no start thing again.

wandfsmall
11-03-2011, 10:13 PM
If I knew the specs.

Strength: Ill look in there if it does the no start thing again.

if your getting a ground you will have a low resistance, and intermittent problems are a pain to figure out.