PDA

View Full Version : Which Snow Blower??

ELITE23
10-28-2011, 04:42 PM
So, I'm going to be offering snow blowing this year for driveways and walkways.
I am leaning towards this blower- Troy-Bilt 2620 Storm 26" Two-Stage Snow Thrower

My neighbor swears by Troy-Bilt. Is Troy Bilt good enough for what I will be doing, or is there another brand I should get.

My budget is $750. So the $1500 dollar blowers are out :mad:

Thank you
Frank

Steve
10-28-2011, 06:43 PM
At least a couple of our members here started off using a toro and offering snow blowing services. I would think it would be a good way to get started.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

bruces
10-28-2011, 08:13 PM
troy built used to make great equipment ,now they are pretty much crap for the most part ,but for that kind of money you wont be able to find much different .

ELITE23
10-28-2011, 08:30 PM
bruces,
What brand would you recommend? If I really had to, I might be able to increase the budget to $900 or $1000 tops.

bruces
10-28-2011, 10:23 PM
for that money,your not going to be able to find much better ,I would buy whichever has the best warranty and service in your area .I have had good luck with craftsman ,ariens,deere etc,but I am a mechanic so can handle the repairs and know enough to maintain the heck out of them .

Liberty Landscaping LLC
10-29-2011, 02:30 AM
Last year I bought 4. I bought all mine used and haven't had issues knock on wood. A 26 in Toro 2 stage, a 28 in Ariens 2 stage, and two Toro Single stage. To tell you the truth I love the single stages. If you don't get much snow or if you stay ahead of them they are great. They tear through snow up to 8 inches so far and are far lighter then the 2 stages. I can throw them in the back of the trucks without the need to drag a trailer and the guys love them because they don't need to shovel. I started with one in the back of my bronco I used to clear a few sidewalks. I loved it so much I bought a newer model for me and threw the older one to the guys even tho I like it better its lighter for them bouncing house to house.

Long story short you need to determine how much snow you get. Then deceide single or dual stage snow blower from their. The singles are cheaper too. I love toro and ariens they have been great for me. I hear bad things about the new troy built equipment much cheaper made then they used to.

ELITE23
10-29-2011, 07:43 AM
Thank you all for the feedback. I did some more research last night and I am leaning towards an Ariens 2 stage ($729) or a Cub Cadet 2 stage. ($749)

Liberty, Like you I am also in NJ. (Middletown) so probably snow like last year. I would be happy just making the money back to pay for the blower in the first year.

Thank you again
Hope we all make a ton of money this winter

Frank

Steve
11-02-2011, 03:56 AM
What have you all found to be the most common problem when it comes to break downs with these snow blowers during the season's use? Any ways to avoid that?

nickeckes
11-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Like said above, Troy-bilt was good back in the day before they got bought out by MTD (if i remember right). . . then everything just got made cheaper. . . id go with a toro. . but i know you said you dont have $1300 + for a good name brand. . . the only thing i hate is buying from a Box store(fleet farm, menards, home depot, walmart) ECT. is if something breaks on it. . . whos going to fix it??? thats why i buy all my stuff from a dealer that has its own shop, and only works on the brand they sell. . . . just my thoughts. . .i wont buy another piece of equipment from a box store, weather it be a leaf blower or trimmer or lawn mower. . . so even if you buy something from menards and it says. . comes with 2 year warrenty?? yes thats cool a 2 year warrenty. . . but when it breaks whos doing to fix it??? menards isnt going to.. and most dealers wont touch things from box stores.. .

good look with your buy. . hope some of my info helped you so you dont get burned like i did. .(bought a trimmer that took a **** after a year and no1 would fix it, but it had a 2 year warrenty)

Hedgemaster
11-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Here's a thread I started last year when I bought my first snowblower:
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=12655&highlight=snowthrower

My only regret was buying a two stage first. It's great for deep snow, but around here, that isn't the norm - I would have been better served by buying a smaller single stage blower.

Live and learn.

Steve
11-03-2011, 11:10 AM
I would have been better served by buying a smaller single stage blower.

Does one stand out that you would like more than others?

Marcintosh
12-02-2011, 11:30 PM
What have you all found to be the most common problem when it comes to break downs with these snow blowers during the season's use? Any ways to avoid that?
It's always a good idea to have more than a few shear pins under the seat of the truck. Spare quart of oil and some silicone for the chute to "sliprify" it between jobs. A brush to clean it off between jobs or when you're done so that it doesn't freeze solid and jam the controls. Some SeaFoam for that gas can refill so you don't forget it. A hand full of tools is good to have around.

If you don't work on your gear, Some have found it helpful to make an appointment for the middle of the season to have it looked over for potential issues, Ounce of prevention thing. Plus without an appointment you can't get in until April around here.

I think that the biggest thing to keeping them running is to NOT just shut it off and walk away from it. Take a moment, clean it off, refill the fuel, check the oil, make sure the augers don't have excessive play, tighten any loose bolts and then cover it.

mark123
12-03-2011, 05:31 AM
Does one stand out that you would like more than others?

I run two single stage snow blowers. A Honda HS 520A (http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/modeldetail.aspx?page=modeldetail&section=P2SB&modelname=HS520A&modelid=HS520A) and a cruddy craftsman as a backup if the Honda needs repair.

The two stage blowers don't make sense to me as they are just too slow. I'd have to charge twice as much using a two stage because of having to drag a trailer around in the snow and taking more time to unload it and walk really slow on the driveways.

IIRC, the two stage blowers also don't get all the snow off as the paddles don't touch the surface. Is that true of all of them?

bruces
12-03-2011, 11:05 AM
the two stage auger does not contact the ground ,so it makes sense that the single stage blower can clear a little closer to the ground .