PDA

View Full Version : Poison Ivy


Sprinkler Buddy
10-28-2011, 08:36 AM
It amazes me how many lawn care professional are allergic to poison ivy, etc...
It effects me very little and quickly disappears. For those that are very allergic, what are the remedies that work best for you?

stevef1201
10-28-2011, 09:02 AM
Knowing what it looks like and staying away from it. If I have to work in it I wear long sleeves, long pants and heavy gloves, then throw all of that into the trash.

Steve
10-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Every time I see it, I think of the saying, 'leaves of three, let it be.'

mark123
10-28-2011, 07:39 PM
I get it a few times per year but it doesn't itch. It just bubbles up on my skin and goes away in a day or two.

Growing Green
10-28-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm terribly allergic to this crap! I get into it all the time and it takes at least a week to go away after it spreads all over my body.

I hate it!

Matt

mschlotter
10-28-2011, 09:13 PM
I don't usually react to it but when I do it's serious. We were chopping up some wood with vines and I got it all over, Covering my face, and had to go to the hospital to get a shot. Lesson Learned the hard way.

JeffK26
10-29-2011, 12:04 AM
I get it, but not bad....it's more like a couple mosquito bites...may itch a bit, but it's gone in a couple days. no big outbreaks.

Now, chiggers, i get hit by them.....i'd rather get poison ivy than chigger bites.

Johnny_boy02
10-29-2011, 01:06 AM
No poison ivy here but we have its evil sister poison oak.

I am allergic, I wouldn't take a job that put me anywhere near the stuff.

Hedgemaster
10-29-2011, 11:55 PM
I got it bad - really bad - last summer. I couldn't work for a week. I couldn't sleep for more than an hour for two weeks.
It completely covered my forearms, legs below the knees, part of my chest/stomach, and neck. It was a full month before I was free of the stuff. It was the first time in my life that I had it and I never want to go through that again.

I passed on a job this season because it was everywhere on the property - it's simply not worth it. The pain, the nasty blisters, the money spent on ointments, cleansers, and such... it's just not worth it.

I've had a few small cases of it this year, but nothing like last year. I wore long pants for as long as I could stand it this summer and kept bottled water, and Tecnu cleanser in the truck in case I suspected I had come in contact with it. As soon as I finished a job where I may have trimmed the stuff (string trimmer - bits of the ivy gets thrown on you), I clean up my arms/legs.

I ran across a photo of one of my blisters a few weeks ago. I should see if I can find it again. It's nasty looking. :eek:

ringahding1
10-30-2011, 12:03 AM
My son looks @ it and catches it! :D