PDA

View Full Version : Inspection and Chicken Pox and Brakes - OH MY!

Hedgemaster
10-27-2011, 03:58 PM
What a day.

Dropped off my truck for annual state inspection then took my wife to a dermatologist to see what's up with a rash that developed over the last two days. (Went to one of those "medi-quick" places yesterday, but didn't feel comfortable with their diagnosis)

While at the dermatologist I got a call from the garage - needs brakes and rotors all around - yay. They can't finish it today, so I'll mis half my work day tomorrow. Again, "Yay" because I need to do two days work tomorrow. (raining all day today)

THEN it is determined that my wife has chicken pox. She's being admitted to the hospital and I'm typing while she packs her bag.

Sheesh. When it rains it pours.

Steve
10-27-2011, 06:50 PM
I am sorry about all this but it will be ok. Take it step by step and don't let yourself get overwhelmed.

Have you ever played around with doing brake work? I bet you could do it on the weekend if you wanted to. The parts should be pretty cheap.

Hedgemaster
10-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Wife is still in hospital. She should be discharged tomorrow (Sunday) though.
It's strange how "interested" all the hospital staff is in her because of the rarity of chicken pox these days. Since the vaccine was introduced, it's just not seen any more.

I had it bad when I was a small child. Head to toe, in my mouth, down my throat, in my ear canals - it was horrible. They say when an adult gets chicken pox it can be much more serious, and while my wife was incredibly sick before the "bumps" appeared, she's doing "OK", all things considered.
She has a ton of the blisters/lesions/"spots"/whatever you want to call them on her face and neck primarily. I feel bad for her because I know that they can leave scars (have some on my forehead) and no woman wants to have scars on her face.

This whole week just sucked all around, but the truck is what it is and the mowing will get done when it gets done. My only concern at the moment is getting my wife home so she can continue to recover.

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-29-2011, 11:50 PM
sorry to hear that. Theres actually a mini little outbreak going on in Canada. I believe it was around 90 high school kids caught and the majority were vaccinated. The benefits of vaccines are disputable.

JeffK26
10-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Sorry to hear, man. Our prayers are with you.

Steve
10-31-2011, 09:53 PM
Is there any truth to that old saying if you get chicken pox when you are young you can't get it again later in life or are we all always susceptible to it?

Hedgemaster
11-01-2011, 12:06 AM
Is there any truth to that old saying if you get chicken pox when you are young you can't get it again later in life or are we all always susceptible to it?

As I understand it, yes, that's true. However, adults can get shingles, which is another form of the "disease". None of the medical staff was concerned about me getting chicken pox, but they did suggest I wear a mask while visiting in the hospital for the reason I mentioned.

The kicker for my wife is that she asked about getting the vaccine about ten years ago. The doctor couldn't believe that she never had chicken pox as a child, so he ordered some sort of blood test, which indicated that she had exposure (thus resistance) to chicken pox and wouldn't give the vaccine.

Thanks doc. Four days in an isolation room was a BLAST!

She has to go back for a follow up and the current doctor is going to confer with the CDC (Center for Disease Control) to determine if my wife should still get vaccinated for chicken pox as well as shingles. (Shingles is supposedly very painful as it affects the nervous system, so it's no wonder you see signs for shingles vaccines at all the pharmacies)

It's still amazing that she picked it up in the first place.
1. She has back issues and hasn't left the house more than 4 times in the past month
2. Except for us older people (I'm 43), most everyone has been vaccinated for it, so the number of people out there and sick with it must be very low.

What are the odds that in those 4 times out, she ran across someone who had chicken pox? Then again, if you know my wife, it's not that much of a stretch - always something medical going on.

The Cleaning Doctor
11-01-2011, 10:49 AM
The hospital for chicken pox. These guys are foolish. I can tell you that I had them as a kid and I got them again around 30 or so. They are more painful when you are an adult but I got mine cleared up in 3 days after diagnosis.

Chicken pox is a herpes strain of virus. What treats herpes? Valtrex.... I asked the doc for some and 3 days later they were going away.

I can't believe they put her in the hospital. Damn quacks.

I wish we had know about the valtrex earlier when my grandkids had it. Would have saved a lot of sanity.

Growing Green
11-01-2011, 07:23 PM
I didn't get chicken pox as a child either. Hope I never get them.

Keep us updated on your wife Hedge. Hang in there!

Matt

Hedgemaster
11-01-2011, 09:25 PM
The hospital for chicken pox. These guys are foolish. I can tell you that I had them as a kid and I got them again around 30 or so. They are more painful when you are an adult but I got mine cleared up in 3 days after diagnosis.

Chicken pox is a herpes strain of virus. What treats herpes? Valtrex.... I asked the doc for some and 3 days later they were going away.

I can't believe they put her in the hospital. Damn quacks.

I wish we had know about the valtrex earlier when my grandkids had it. Would have saved a lot of sanity.

Sure, she could have ridden it out at home, but I think the reason for the hospital was because they wanted to give her meds by IV because it works better and faster that way.

Actually the "quack" was the guy at the "medi-quick" place that barely looked at her and misdiagnosed it completely. Her freaking dermatologist was the one who nailed it the next day.

Hedgemaster
11-01-2011, 09:30 PM
I didn't get chicken pox as a child either. Hope I never get them.

Keep us updated on your wife Hedge. Hang in there!

Matt

I hope so to. There is a vaccine if it's a concern.

She's doing better each day. Fortunately, she says the itching isn't unbearable.
The worst part was a day or so before the "spots" appeared when she was sick as a dog and then while in the hospital she had one night where her temperature was over 103, so I'm actually happy she was there instead of at home.

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-01-2011, 09:48 PM
I hope so to. There is a vaccine if it's a concern.

It was a measles outbreak not Chickenpox. Close enough though.

An investigation into an outbreak in a high school in a town that was heavily hit by the virus found that about half of the cases were in teens who had received the recommended two doses of vaccine in childhood in other words, teens whom authorities would have expected to have been protected from the measles virus.

It's generally assumed that the measles vaccine, when given in a two-dose schedule in early childhood, should protect against measles infection about 99 per cent of the time. So the discovery that 52 of the 98 teens who caught measles were fully vaccinated came as a shock to the researchers who conducted the investigation.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2011/10/20/measles-quebec-vaccine-schedule.html

Hedgemaster
11-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Hey. Get vaccinated, or not. Doesn't matter to me.
Some people have a "thing" about vaccines and while some concerns are valid, those who say things like "The flu shot gave me the flu" have no idea what they are talking about.