PDA

View Full Version : Ready for the snow?

B-2 Lawncare
10-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Ready for that first snow? We are here but would like some more time to do fall clean up's.

Steve
10-27-2011, 07:40 PM
That looks like some serious equipment! How are the different tractors utilized for snow removal. What does one do that the other doesn't? Is one better to use in snow than the other?

B-2 Lawncare
10-27-2011, 11:00 PM
That looks like some serious equipment! How are the different tractors utilized for snow removal. What does one do that the other doesn't? Is one better to use in snow than the other?

The two tractors are use very differently, The bigger tractor is used for parking lots. and the 2305 is used for side walks and drive-ways. We have guys with shovels that go with the 2305. My town is fairly small so driving the bigger tractor from parking-lot to lot is not that big of a deal. I like to use the tractor because I can stack the snow higher than guys with pick up. also if we need to move a pile i can put the bucket back on and haul the snow away with the dump trailer.

Steve
10-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Do you need to use chains on the tires for traction or does it move around well enough without them?

Ducke
10-28-2011, 09:45 PM
aaaahhhh that's cute a Mama and her Fawn .

Nice looking setup.
hope you post some picture with then in action later.

B-2 Lawncare
10-29-2011, 12:48 AM
Do you need to use chains on the tires for traction or does it move around well enough without them?

No chains the turf tires work well, we have chains but have yet need them.

B-2 Lawncare
10-29-2011, 12:49 AM
aaaahhhh that's cute a Mama and her Fawn .

Nice looking setup.
hope you post some picture with then in action later.

LOL thanks man we will

Dragger
10-30-2011, 09:44 AM
thought I was ready but apparently the plow truck thought better .
Night before the snow no wipers so traced it to the wiper motor 30 mile drive to town to get parts and have wipers again.

Then yesterday snow is falling as I head the 30 miles into town to get some of that fun money that comes when it snows,stop for coffee and the truck would not start back up .
One jump start later and back at the house I pull the alternator off and head 30 miles back to the part store again to get a new one.

So yes I was ready and no the truck was not ready.

lesson learned here?

Do not leave your plow truck sit all year,drive it some times just to check for things going wrong.
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/298970_295188067165710_100000235566588_1176961_110 8258564_n.jpg

Martywdx
10-30-2011, 06:55 PM
Ready for that first snow? We are here but would like some more time to do fall clean up's.

Not to be an ars. But I have several accounts that I just mow. The snow removal people tear up the edges of the sidewalks and drives. Not a pretty site in the spring. I know I'm just a small fry using a walk behind blower, but I never tear 4 foot x8 inch plus gashes in the turf.

B-2 Lawncare
10-30-2011, 11:25 PM
Not to be an ars. But I have several accounts that I just mow. The snow removal people tear up the edges of the sidewalks and drives. Not a pretty site in the spring. I know I'm just a small fry using a walk behind blower, but I never tear 4 foot x8 inch plus gashes in the turf.

Sound to me like these guys have taken on more than they can handle and are going to fast,

Dragger
10-31-2011, 08:17 AM

I mark my drives with stakes and ALWAYS repair any damage in the spring,gonna catch a bit of turf every now and then but those who are serious about plowing will repair there mistakes when spring arrives

Steve
11-02-2011, 05:01 AM
I mark my drives with stakes

When do you normally go out to do this? Do you try and get it done a certain amount of time before when the average snow storms start?

Dragger
11-03-2011, 07:33 AM
When do you normally go out to do this? Do you try and get it done a certain amount of time before when the average snow storms start?

I mark them in the fall not normally this early but in November when I have signed contracts in hand.
The stakes stay up all winter long,just have to explain to the customer what there purpose is and how it helps save the edge of there lawn from the plow blade.

Steve
11-03-2011, 12:05 PM
when I have signed contracts in hand.

Do you try and get your lawn care customers to agree to snow removal too in your contracts or no?

Also, do you recommend in the contracts charging a per storm fee or a monthly fee based on an estimated amount of storms?

B-2 Lawncare
11-04-2011, 12:31 AM
some good tips with this thread, With all that we plow and with the staff that I have we only flag the ares where we pile the snow. The woman that i have running the 2305 mows for us in the summer. And for the most part,plows the side walks and drives of our mowing clients. so she has a good grasp of where she can and cant plow with the tractor. I have her leave a small strip along drive ways and in front of garage doors, then the shovel crew will clean up what she leaves. Thats not to say that we don't have an oops that we will have to fix in the spring.
we wont take on a home-owner for snow if we don't mow there lawn. Its a $ thing we can make more money plowing a parking lot. so it only make $ and cents to only plow for home owners if we work for them through out the year.
In the market that I am in we charge per push, people here don't like to pay for snow removal when it doesn't snow. It makes it tuff to plan for winter.

Steve
11-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Do you ever find that you can sign up lawn care customers because they want snow removal first? Is it a good selling tool for that?

picframer
11-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Tractors out perform trucks in deep, heavy snow any day, they will take the abuse and never miss a heartbeat, I have been using them for over 20 years and we get some pretty serious storms.

The big advantage in this case plowing parking lots is two things, that plow will raise a good 5 feet pushing the banks high, a trusk will not do this and the plow is what we call a quick attach, he can as I do, flip to a bucket that has a tooth bar, I don't care how frozen the bank might be I can move it in no time.

I see he has the PTO salter/sander, you can flip this to a blower in seconds.

Bottom line is cost, these Deere Diesel's sip diesel and they always start no problem at all. Turf's really stick to ice and hardpacked, I too have chains but it's desperate rare I need them.

Steve
11-07-2011, 03:51 AM
I see he has the PTO salter/sander, you can flip this to a blower in seconds.

Do you mean a snow blower? I am not following.

eMCeeW
11-10-2011, 04:18 AM
Do you ever find that you can sign up lawn care customers because they want snow removal first? Is it a good selling tool for that?

I plan to start my lawn company this spring and was hoping to get a jump on it this winter by offering snow removal. I just made a flyer that offers 50% off snow removal with a mowing contract, I wont be making much money on the snow removal but hopefully the discount entices the big payoff in the summer.

Steve
11-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Do you get a lot of snow in your area? This should be interesting to hear your feedback on it as you experiment with this marketing technique.

eMCeeW
11-10-2011, 08:25 PM
I live on the west edge of Omaha NE. We get really windy storms with alot of drifting. I had a 6' drift over my driveway last year. I really needed a snowblower and figured I could just pay it off "actually pay back my savings account" by doing jobs in my area. Since I plan to start up a small yard operation in the spring I figured I could just make it a little easier by getting customers lined up before I even dust off the mower. I won't make much off those accounts in the winter but I will in the summer. I will keep you posted, wish it would snow already...

Steve
11-11-2011, 06:59 PM
I am glad to see you getting started and good luck :)