PDA

View Full Version : 2011 season is over.

Ducke
10-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Well I finished up my last lawns today.
Overall it was a good first year, I haven't crunched all the numbers yet but will be running all the reports in the next few weeks.
but I do have some quick #'s

Lowest Number of Customers at one time 8
Highest Number of accounts at one time 51
Number of accounts resigned for 2012 (As of Oct 21st) 10

Now out of that 51 there was several foreclosure and Real Estate jobs and some one offs mowing and landscaping. I had 22 weekly scheduled lawns and have so far signed up 10 but am still waiting replies for several others so I could see the number rise to some were near 20. Oh ya I almost forgot I did sign up one new customer for next year, It was a neighbour of one of my big customers and he liked my work so he ask me to do his yard next year.

I do believe I turned a small profit but I won't know this till all the bills for Oct are paid and I can run the Quick book reports.

Regardless to the out come I am very happy and am looking forward to 2012 already.

CHEESE2009
10-24-2011, 01:47 AM
Next year (if the world doesn't end :p ) will be the best year ever.

Tomorrow is my first day back out, I've taken off so much time due to rain and procrastination, that I now have so much to do.

Leaves are all over the place, and I owe most of my clients two more cuts before I do the fall cleanups. It's irritating.

Not to mention, my guy got used to taking time off, he's disinterested in heading back out. He can continue life with his crackhead girlfriend, that's what stole him from me anyway. Prick.

************ God damn leaves..... lol

I'm glad you had a successful year my friend, I will celebrate for you!

I will end this with a quote;

"Having clients, is no different than babysitting".

JeffK26
10-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Cool deal, congrats on a good season!

Steve
10-24-2011, 05:32 PM
Congratulations!

Reflecting on the year, what do you feel you would have done differently? Were there any big lessons you felt you learned that you can carry ahead with you into the new year?

Ducke
10-24-2011, 05:55 PM
What have I learned from this year ????????

1) working for yourself is hard work.
I am harder on myself then any boss I have ever had, The hours are long and the works is hard. There is never any end to the things that need to be done.

2) Sales
Getting your name out there is not an easy task, Its a dog eat dog world and believe it or not lawn mowers are a dime a dozen so you need to stand out from the million other guys with a mower. which brings me to #3

3) Quality Work Nothing trumps quality work. No one ever complained that you took to long and did too good of a job. But snip off one frigging rose bush and the whining never ends.

I don't think there is anyone thing that I would change, Yes I made some mistakes along the way and yes I learned from my mistakes but that is what there for. I only wish I had done this when I was 20 instead of waiting till I was 50. But I can't change that so I must go with the cards I am dealt.

Steve
10-25-2011, 06:41 PM
I only wish I had done this when I was 20 instead of waiting till I was 50.

I think that is a really good point to bring up. We do see a lot of younger guys on here considering whether or not they should start up.

What advice would you have for those on the fence. What would you tell them as to why it is better to get started earlier than later?

Ducke
10-25-2011, 07:26 PM
I think that is a really good point to bring up. We do see a lot of younger guys on here considering whether or not they should start up.

What advice would you have for those on the fence. What would you tell them as to why it is better to get started earlier than later?

Well lets see.
From my point of view its like this.

When starting any kind of business it takes time 3-5 years to get your self established in the market and making a good profit. This is easier at 20 then 50.

But you should or could at 50 be better off financially, preparing for a slow start up with established fund before you start up the business.

Also when starting a this kind of business you need to be able to work long hours of physical work again easier at 20 then 50.

Now with that said at 50 I am way more mature and responsible then I was at 20,

But the ability to bounce back from a bad experience ( bankruptcy, accident etc.) is a lot easier at 20 then 50

Man this is a real loaded question. But in this kind of Business Landscaping/Lawn Care young and physically in shape I do believe win out over older and wiser.

Hedgemaster
10-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Man, if I started doing this when I was 20, I'd be sitting in Barbados, sipping a pina colada right now while my crews do all the work! :D
Imagine the growth potential with that much time.

It's tougher physically to start out when you're an old geezer like Ducke ( :D ), but with age, comes experience, and wisdom, and that helps to compensate in other aspects of the business.

I also truly believe that a lot of people are more comfortable dealing with/hiring an older person. There are a gazillion "young kids" out there doing this work, but only about a half dozen of them appear to give a damn about what they are doing.

Steve
10-26-2011, 06:19 PM
What I am seeing from this discussion is that now is always the best time to get started no matter what your age is. Regardless where you are in life, there seems to always be upsides and downsides to your age so with that in mind, it is better to start now.

Ducke
10-28-2011, 08:50 PM
What I am seeing from this discussion is that now is always the best time to get started no matter what your age is. Regardless where you are in life, there seems to always be upsides and downsides to your age so with that in mind, it is better to start now.

I agree :o

boats47
11-04-2011, 10:23 AM
We still have another month before I shut things down here in RI. It aint over till the ground freezes! I am ready for the winter break, been a long season.

Norcal
11-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Man, if I started doing this when I was 20, I'd be sitting in Barbados, sipping a pina colada right now while my crews do all the work! :D
Imagine the growth potential with that much time.

It's tougher physically to start out when you're an old geezer like Ducke ( :D ), but with age, comes experience, and wisdom, and that helps to compensate in other aspects of the business.

I also truly believe that a lot of people are more comfortable dealing with/hiring an older person. There are a gazillion "young kids" out there doing this work, but only about a half dozen of them appear to give a damn about what they are doing.

I think your right on some levels start young get all the learning and mistakes and having to eat crow out of the way and as you get older you will be taken more seriously than when you first started. I am 36 and i think being a little older than say a 20 years old i am taken a little more serious the problem I have is if I shave I look like Im 15 and people hassle me like I don"t have a clue what Im talking about if I have a facial hare that has some grey in it people take my word as gospil.

Moral of story start young but color your hair grey

Ducke
11-05-2011, 05:47 PM
ell I finished putting all my summer equipment away for the season.
I drained all the gas changed all the oils and coated all the undersides with Fluid Film.

I then dug out the Snow Blower and got it all ready to go.
Just as I was getting finished we started to get some flurries.
The old Snow Blower looked ready to go.

Hedgemaster
11-05-2011, 07:33 PM
I dropped off my $15 snowblower today to have it looked over and then I dug out my big, two stage from the garage and checked it over to see that it was ready - started right up.
I ran it around the yard and left it run for a while after adding some fresh gas.

That said, I'm still mowing some lawns and will be doing leaf work for at least the next month before we see any real snow here.

Ducke
11-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Man I haven't mowed a lawn in two weeks.
I think I am having with draw symptoms.
Last night I couldn't sleep so I was down on the computer surfing Lawn Mower sites. :o
Am I sick or what :confused:
I really liked the stripped down models there was even a couple of videos. :)
man I really do miss the smell of fresh cut grass, The feel of its softness under my feet. Watching it blow gently in the breeze.
The movies were great there were ones on how to do a lawn properly and even how to do multiple lawns. Some guys were doing up to six lawns at a time :eek:
Oh how I miss doing lawns.
Now all I have to look forward to is Banging out one drive way at a time once or twice a month. Its just not the same , It is in someways just so cold and impersonal.

picframer
11-06-2011, 04:46 PM
You need to take a drive through the South End of Halifax, there is tons of leaf clean up jobs, all you have to do is leave flyers, I drive through the South End every day on my way to Seaport and when I was doing leaf jobs we had over 60 clients in the south end alone.

Ducke
11-06-2011, 05:18 PM
My problem is two fold
one I don't have the proper gear for that kind of clean up, (A rake a blower some bags and a strong back)
Two i have already taken on a winter job.
I hope to expand next year and get myself a leaf vac
the kind that you can walk behind.

boats47
11-07-2011, 10:21 AM
My problem is two fold
one I don't have the proper gear for that kind of clean up, (A rake a blower some bags and a strong back)
Two i have already taken on a winter job.
I hope to expand next year and get myself a leaf vac
the kind that you can walk behind.

Truck mounted leaf vac, will save you big time. blow everything to truck and suck it up, done deal next property. You could pay for it with a couple properties that is the time you will save, no doubt.

Ducke
11-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Well as good as a regular pay check is,
I do believe I may have pulled the plug a little two quick on the 2011 season.
I am already planning on moving my closing date til Nov 30th for 2012.
I was out tonight and bought a second hand leaf vac it a few years old but it runs and has fantastic suction, I think I may make a mounting bracket for the trailer and get a hose for it and rig up a vac trailer. Not sure exactly how I will do it but I will frig with it on the weekend.

Steve
11-09-2011, 01:38 PM
I do believe I may have pulled the plug a little two quick on the 2011 season.

Were there more clean up jobs that came in or what happened?

Ducke
11-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Well I did get two calls but it more about the weather.
Its been extremely warm and very sunny.
I just feel that if I still had the equipment out and running I could have still been working.
Its just one of those things if I had kept working we would have had two feet of snow by now but because I shut down and put everything away its been nice.
I set a two dates back in January May 1st start day and Oct 31 Close up.
I set the dates so I stuck to them. I realize now I made a mistake but I have made other commitments and have to honour them but I am going to expand on it next year and go to Nov 30th.

picframer
11-10-2011, 04:39 AM
Ducke,

When I ran the lawn care and excavation, we started in April and ran until the first snowfall, that was December 18, 2009 and December 9, 2010. I mention this for what it's worth as we are in the same city. At the same time you are correct not knowing, I have seen so much snow on Halloween that we didn't go out, in fact just a few years ago the Atlantic Woodworking show was cancelled as we had a massive snow storm on Remembrance Day, being the 11th.

It's hard to set dates here, had I been running the business this year, it would have been late May before we could have done much, it was simply too wet.