PDA

View Full Version : Toro timecutter z4220

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-23-2011, 04:20 PM
I heard a few people say good things on here about the timecutters. Its almost off season and I have a chance to steal a 09 at $700. How do these hold up for light use? I wouldnt use it on any yard bigger then 2 acres even then I would team it with a walkbehind.

The deck looks flimsy to me. Can you switch to a bigger deck? The decks not that great looking and I would like a 54" or something close to that.

bruces
10-23-2011, 06:15 PM
buy it ,shine it up real good,then flip it in the spring for $1500 .00 ,then buy a better machine .

Hedgemaster
10-23-2011, 07:34 PM
I was "this close" to getting one, but I'm thinking a walk behind may get more use right now.
Heck, they are only $2,500 brand new, so I may end up grabbing one anyway next season for the few yards I get/could get that are too big to do quickly with a push mower.

My local Home Depot has a Timecutter sitting out front next to a bunch of lawn tractors. The Toro looks like a toy next to them - it's just so tiny!

I saw a guy at the gas station the other day with a Timecutter on his trailer. Said he's used it for 5 years now.

mark123
10-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Timecutter is the homeowner model, right? You'll wear it out in a month in a pro setting.

Hedgemaster
10-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Timecutter is the homeowner model, right? You'll wear it out in a month in a pro setting.

Yes, it is.

While I don't doubt that it is inferior to commercial grade equipment, I think that it would be OK for someone like myself - one man, using it here and there, as needed - not hammering out lawn after lawn, day after day. I still have a ton of lawns that can only be accessed/mowed with a 21" push, so I wouldn't need the "tiny Toro" 8 hours/day.

Also, in terms of "cost" - is a comparably sized commercial Z that is 3-4x the money 3-4x better? Probably not. At least not for my intended purpose.

bruces
10-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Even if your truly not going to use it for more than a few lawns a day ,I still would not keep it more than a season or two .That should net you a pretty high re-sale ,and hopefully no real issues with it repair wise .It would be worth the most in the spring ,so sell it then ,but buy its replacement the fall before .I doubt that theres much thats actually serviceable on it ,pretty much throw away components but if the machine is gone before it starts breaking ,it might be a good value .

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-23-2011, 09:33 PM
The main problem is the transmissions are sealed, right?

I only planned on using it for about 5 hrs a week. I think it would increase productivity on my second truck. I have them using a 44" proline and a 36" exmark both wbs for residential yards. It takes 8-10 hrs to finish the route. I use a 60" ztr on commercial lots and bigger yards. So in no ways am I looking at it as a replacement. Just a complement.

The 44" is really on its last stand. I didnt want to replace it with another wb or have my crew trashing a brand new machine either. I only have a few contracts sewed up for next season so theres no guarantees Ill stay busy.

I found a few others like woods and grasshoppers but they went to hell and back. I think I would spend more on repairs with them. When I could just junk the toro after next season. Then with the money I save on labor and selling the timecutter get a nicer ztr.

CHEESE2009
10-24-2011, 02:16 AM
1st year
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/breeze2009/trac1.jpg

2nd year
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/breeze2009/trac2.jpg

STILL SMILING!

Oh, and the bagger... last year

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/breeze2009/trac3.jpg

cutting sod

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/breeze2009/cut1.jpg

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-24-2011, 05:01 PM
cheese, you bought new? how many hours did you put on? Do you know if its possible to put a bigger deck by just switching belts? My old toro wb is like that.

wandfsmall
10-24-2011, 08:25 PM
The main problem is the transmissions are sealed, right?

I only planned on using it for about 5 hrs a week. I think it would increase productivity on my second truck. I have them using a 44" proline and a 36" exmark both wbs for residential yards. It takes 8-10 hrs to finish the route. I use a 60" ztr on commercial lots and bigger yards. So in no ways am I looking at it as a replacement. Just a complement.

The 44" is really on its last stand. I didnt want to replace it with another wb or have my crew trashing a brand new machine either. I only have a few contracts sewed up for next season so theres no guarantees Ill stay busy.

I found a few others like woods and grasshoppers but they went to hell and back. I think I would spend more on repairs with them. When I could just junk the toro after next season. Then with the money I save on labor and selling the timecutter get a nicer ztr.

The problems you get with consumer grade equipment would include valve issues on the engines, decks bending easily, and weak transmissions that do not hold up to long operating times. You would also see electric clutches that go out often and slower speeds.