PDA

View Full Version : Business number.

JeffK26
10-21-2011, 11:20 PM
I'm curious about your opinions on a business number...landline vs cellphone.

I currently have a cell phone, no landline. I'm leaning towards getting a business number that is a landline. My current cell number isn't used except for friends and family and since i have them in my phonebook i know when i have to answer as saber lawncare or just say "hey dipwad"......

Basically my thoughts are:
Cons of using existing number are........... not professional. Possible dropped calls even if i dont' suffer from that now, If i decide to have a landline number then it's a hassle to let all my customers aware of a change in number.

Pros. One less phone line to pay for. Customer or potential customer only has to wait for 15 mintues or so for a call back instead of the 8+ hours until i come home.

What do some of you use? and any advice from personal experiences of each?

Liberty Landscaping LLC
10-22-2011, 12:22 AM
I have a dedicated Cell phone that is my business phone. The reasons for me are it lessons the call back time most is typically 20 min cutting a lawn. Some customers just text me, I use it for email, I can turn it off at night (big plus), if it snows you need something for the field anyway because you won't be home for loooooong periods of time. Sure you can call forward but hey why pay another bill like you said. And most important if it storms in your area and you loose power you can still do business with clean ups and a car charger (case in point Hurricane Irene and the east coast)

JLH Pro Lawn Care
10-22-2011, 12:57 AM
I have one cell phone, my friends and family all have the number but if its not in my phone book then my friend hears the business answer and so far no problems at all, hell landlines are a thing of the past now days, i can get customer txts or calls and if I am on the grass they have a business vmail if my friends dont like hearing the vmail then they can either hang up,suck it up or pay me so far almost 2yrs like this without ever one problem:D

mark123
10-22-2011, 02:00 AM
I use a Magic Jack that is forwarded to my cell phone when I'm out. Different phone number but same phone. In the winter I shut the cell phone off and just use the Magic Jack either when the computer is on or I let the voicemail send the messages to my email for later listening.

JeffK26
10-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Cool, thanks for the input. hmmm

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Theres a difference between a land line and a business line. A business line cost way more. The benefit is its added to the yellow pages for free.

mark123
10-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Theres a difference between a land line and a business line. A business line cost way more. The benefit is its added to the yellow pages for free.

Do the yellow pages actually still exist?

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Do the yellow pages actually still exist?

yeah there a spam company that blows me up all the time.:)

strength
10-22-2011, 09:24 PM
i to have a magic jack you can pay to get a vanity # so i Have a local area code with a vanity # and i also have the magic jack calls forwarded to my cell phone because i had way to many people not leaving a message i would get back to the office 10 missed calls not one message it does suck having your phone ring while your working but people want to talk to some one asap plus if you are all the way across town doing a job and a person calls you for a Estimate that is right up the st you save a whole trip there and back if you can set up for that day

JeffK26
10-22-2011, 11:06 PM
Thanks again for all the responses. I think i've narrowed it down to some sort of smartphone with the ability to use a credit card reader for when i'm ready to go that route.

Thanks!

wandfsmall
10-23-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks again for all the responses. I think i've narrowed it down to some sort of smartphone with the ability to use a credit card reader for when i'm ready to go that route.

Thanks!

you can use google voice as well if you want for a business number. We use it for a metering number with a lot of luck. It also allows us to get voice mail in our email.

CHEESE2009
10-24-2011, 03:35 AM
LOL

Hey, the opposite of this will work for me!

I hate being interrupted while at work by a client having a heart attack because rain is on the way, and he/she wants first priority over everyone else on my route!

In all seriousness, a cell phone is the way to go. It's on your person at all times, think of the benefits;

A client can call and you could respond asap!

1. "You left your lawn mower at my house" - done that

2. For the times your equipment is in the shop being fixed, it'd be nice for them to be able to contact you right away so you can pick it up.

3. Instant voice-mail so that you decide whether to call a client back or not, sometimes it's actually important. "Can you come after my neighbor, so I have time to pick up the dog crap in the backyard?".

My problem is that my own clients spam my phone. I need some sort of filter. "Press one if you have a real problem" "Press two if you want to waste my time"...

mark123
10-24-2011, 07:52 AM
you can use google voice as well if you want for a business number. We use it for a metering number with a lot of luck. It also allows us to get voice mail in our email.

I would have probably used Google voice but they weren't available at the time I started the business and I already paid for 5 years of Magic Jack. ;)

When my subscription is up I may port it over to Google voice.

Dragger
10-30-2011, 09:59 AM
I have vonage for home/business number and cell phone .my vonage is set up so that it always rings my cell phone at the same time it rings my house/business number.

When at home I can answer either number and when out plowing and some one calls the house number I get the ring on my cell and can answer it there with out them having to wait for a call back or having to leave messages.

It works well for me

Steve
11-02-2011, 04:59 AM
"You left your lawn mower at my house" - done that

What was the story behind that? I bet it is a good one.