PDA

View Full Version : Motivational Thread

element009
10-21-2011, 10:19 AM
On Steve's suggestion, I'd like to start this thread to help myself and everyone else who has trouble staying motivated at times. The idea is that you feel more motivated to reach your goals if you post them for everyone to see on the forum.

I recently made up a flyer, and am hoping to pick up at least 10 new fall clean-up clients...all of which I will try to sign on for regular maintenance next year. I'll post an update when I get my first new customer.

I encourage anyone else currently trying to reach a goal to post it here as well and keep us updated on your progress.

CHEESE2009
10-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Lol.... you know that first few moments when you first wake up, how nothing seems logical?

A client called me very early in the morning, I just answered out of fear from being woken up. I just kind of rambled on, starting the convo like so;

"Helllllooooooooooooooouuuuuuwwwwww?"

And whatever a client says in the morning, I automatically believe...

"You haven't cut my lawn in ages" is a good way to mess with me.

ANYWAYS! Your idea is a great one, but I'm still too tired to write something using my brain.

Steve
10-21-2011, 04:39 PM
I recently made up a flyer, and am hoping to pick up at least 10 new fall clean-up clients...all of which I will try to sign on for regular maintenance next year. I'll post an update when I get my first new customer.

What will you be doing to achieve this goal and when will you be doing it?

element009
10-25-2011, 10:55 AM
What will you be doing to achieve this goal and when will you be doing it?

I have printed out 250 flyers (attached) and I am heading down to the municipal office to obtain a license to solicit door to door in the next town over. It's a fairly upper class town so I assume that's why a license is required. Once I get the license, I will start going door to door to hand out the flyers.

I don't think 250 will be enough to get 10 clients, but I'll print more when I run out.

Also what do you think of the flyer? I tried to keep it very simple without any fluff or special offers. I noticed last year even though I offered discounts, most people didn't even seem to notice them on the flyer. They just wanted their leaves picked up.

F3Nelson
10-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Wow, that is a nice flyer....very clean and simple.

Do you generate very much interest with those?

element009
10-25-2011, 04:49 PM

This is my first time putting out this particular flyer. I will keep you posted on the effectiveness.

CHEESE2009
10-25-2011, 06:02 PM
I wasn't able to download it properly :(

I bet it looks awesome!

JeffK26
10-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Lookin good.

Good luck and lookin forward to your post about how it works!

F3Nelson
10-25-2011, 06:39 PM
This is my first time putting out this particular flyer. I will keep you posted on the effectiveness.

I should have been more specific....I was wondering what your success rate for "any" previous flyers, you have put out. I have considered doing it, I just wanted to know if others had any luck with it

mark123
10-25-2011, 07:55 PM
I should have been more specific....I was wondering what your success rate for "any" previous flyers, you have put out. I have considered doing it, I just wanted to know if others had any luck with it

I'd tell you but this is a motivational thread. :p

element009
10-25-2011, 08:09 PM

I would say I get about a 1%-3% become my clients. Last year I put out about 500 flyers and got around 10 new customers. When I put them out, I usually just drop them at the door in order to get as much out as possible. However, I've read a lot of guys on here who actually knock on the doors and engage the resident face to face and they say the results are better. I think I'm going to mix up my approach this year depending on the neighborhoods and the time of day.

But if I can consistently get at least 5 new customers out of 500 flyers, I'd be pretty happy. I think I can get 500 flyers out in less than an 8 hour day, so it's worth it.

Still though, word of mouth is the best advertising. Can't beat it. No time or money involved.

Steve
10-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Great job on the flyer.

I think it's going to work well for you! Keep us posted.

op25ttfd
10-25-2011, 09:08 PM
I tried passing out flyers when I first started. I must admit, out of the 500 flyers I passed out I recieved 2 phone calls and gained 1 client. My best advertising wasw with Craigslist and word of mouth. I hope you have better success than I did with the flyers than I did. Keep us informed.

Steve
10-26-2011, 06:44 PM
I must admit, out of the 500 flyers I passed out I recieved 2 phone calls and gained 1 client.

Looking back on it, do you have any thoughts as to why you felt you got the response you got? Was it possibly the way you distributed the flyers? Or maybe the message/offer? Or maybe even the flyer design?

element009
10-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Update: I have yet to put out my flyers. I had to obtain a Mercantile License in order to advertise in the town, which cost me $50. Like I said, the town is pretty exclusive, so there are a lot of rules. In order to advertise there, I must knock on the door and physically speak with someone in order to leave them any literature. I am not allowed to just leave something on a doorstep. So in a way it's good, I'm going to have to get over my fear of door to door/face to face marketing. Also, the advertising can only take place during daylight hours(which is what i'd be doing anyway)

I should receive my license in the mail today, so I'll start the advertising Monday if the weather is not rainy, which it is right now. Does anybody have any suggestions on the best time to do this sort of advertising?

Steve
10-31-2011, 10:43 PM
I had to obtain a Mercantile License in order to advertise in the town, which cost me $50. Like I said, the town is pretty exclusive, so there are a lot of rules.

What other rules do they have that you need to follow in order to go door to door?

element009
11-01-2011, 11:04 AM
What other rules do they have that you need to follow in order to go door to door?

On top of what I already mentioned, I also have to check in with the police department before I go out advertising. I'm guessing they're going to ask in which neighborhoods I'll be giving out flyers.

Steve
11-02-2011, 05:07 AM
WOW now that is amazing!

element009
11-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Finally got the mercantile license for the town last week. I ended up putting the existing 250 flyers out on nicer blocks in my own town and am working on a nicer pamphlet for the nicer town. The guy who I spoke to about the mercantile license said flyers weren't permitted, plus I figure for a more upper-class neighborhood, a more professional, detailed pamphlet will get a better response. We shall see.

Steve
11-07-2011, 04:53 AM
And the situation was they can't just be stuck in the door, they can only be handed to a homeowner?

If that is the case, does that effect the time you are going to go out and do this in order to catch them when they are home?

element009
11-07-2011, 05:58 PM
And the situation was they can't just be stuck in the door, they can only be handed to a homeowner?

If that is the case, does that effect the time you are going to go out and do this in order to catch them when they are home?
Correct, I can only give literature to someone who answers the door and accepts it.

I'm going to go out in the morning on the first day (around 9am). I'm hoping that because this is a very well-to-do town, there will be a lot of wives who stay at home. If I notice that there are a lot of empty houses, I will try again from maybe 3 -5pm. I'm not allowed to advertise after sunset, and it's completely dark right now and it's not even 6pm. I hate changing the clocks back!

Steve
11-08-2011, 01:39 PM
This will be a great experiment with a bunch of variables to consider.

Such as:

Will mornings be better than dinner time?
Will weekdays be better than weekends?

element009
11-14-2011, 01:14 PM
I did one estimate last week, I'm still waiting for a reply. I got a lot of calls this weekend from the flyers I put out. I have about 4 more estimates to go on today and tomorrow and also some messages on my phone I haven't been able to check yet.

I really think the timing for this was important. Putting out stuff right as the leaves are about to start falling en masse seems to be working well so far.

element009
12-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Hello all,

I'm still doing pretty well with this. I'm at about 8 new clean-ups, with a few more estimates this week. It's tough to fit them in during the day because daylight is short and I'm trying to get all my clean-ups done, but it's a good problem to have. It looks like I will meet my goal of 10 new clean-ups plus maybe a little extra. Also, 3 of the new clients have already signed on for weekly mowing service next year, and I'm hoping more will follow suit.

How is everybody else doing with clean-ups this year??? Anybody else using this time to pick up more clients?

Steve
12-01-2011, 04:02 PM
That is fantastic!

When you are there on their property presenting them a bid for leaf cleanups, what do you find is the best way to upsell them on future lawn mowing? Do you have them sign a contract for it on the spot? Do you offer some kind of discount for prepay as well?

element009
12-06-2011, 09:20 AM
I don't do contracts yet, although I will be implementing that next season. Basically every estimate i do I make sure to let them know the other major services I provide before I do the job. It works well in the fall because their lawn is covered with leaves. So once they see what the lawn looks like when I'm done, it has a big effect. It's not easy to convince rational people to pay for something that they weren't already considering buying. However, if they did have it in mind, the effect of seeing a very clean lawn after it was covered with debris has sealed the deal on several occasions for me.

Steve
12-07-2011, 07:43 PM
What's your plan on how you will be implementing the contracts?