PDA

View Full Version : Good News for Nova Scotia

Ducke
10-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Well We got a HUGE boost to our economy here in Nova Scotia yesterday.
The Federal Government issued a $25 Billion contract to a local ship building yard to build our new Combat ships,
This means loads of jobs and tons of money hitting our local economy right when we need it .
The contract is going to last approx 25-30 years and employ 1000's of trades people.
This is what I was involved in before I got into lawn care (Industrial purchasing)
I have done two major ship building project in the past but will gladly sit this one out and let other take the stress.
The spin off business will be huge and hey we all know all these people are going to need lawn care.
There are a lot of very happy people here in Nova Scotia today.

picframer
10-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Speaking with a friend this evening who is still in banking, we worked together for years, anyhow he said house prices jumped up to 20% here over night. This is equal to hosting the Olympics for 20 years, every year....pretty amazing.

Ducke
10-20-2011, 08:20 PM
Speaking with a friend this evening who is still in banking, we worked together for years, anyhow he said house prices jumped up to 20% here over night. This is equal to hosting the Olympics for 20 years, every year....pretty amazing.

I can see only good things coming out of this.
Just wait too see the folks streaming back home from Fort McMurray.
I heard somewhere that they are expecting somewhere around 400 new home starts.
There's going to be grass for everyone to mow ;) and hedges to trim too. :D

Steve
10-21-2011, 04:16 PM
That is great news!

Does it give you ideas on more services or niches you might want to get into that could help this influx of new people to the area?

Ducke
10-21-2011, 08:23 PM
That is great news!

Does it give you ideas on more services or niches you might want to get into that could help this influx of new people to the area?

I'm not sure about any niches but it should mean a more disposable income in the area.
People that don't have the money for luxury's will and when you think about it having someone doing your yard work for you is a luxury, So this should help in my business as well as most others here over the next 20 years.
I am going to have to sit down and go over a new approach to advertising this winter. Something to target that extra disposable income,
I will keep you posted to what I end up with.

Steve
10-24-2011, 04:56 PM
I wonder if it would be worthwhile to use the good news in your marketing.

Creating some kind of flyer that says 'Good news for Nova Scotia, is good news for your lawns.'

Then below maybe say something like 'to celebrate the good news on local ship yard construction, why not take some more time for yourself and hire us to take care of your lawn?'

Ducke
10-24-2011, 07:11 PM
There was an advertising campaign of sorts here run but the provincial government called "The Ships Start Here"

http://www.stewartmckelvey.com/site-smss/media/smss/ShipsStartHereSupport_173x180_2.jpg

I was thinking of doing something in the lines of this but I not sure yet.
I will have to put some thought into it over the winter.

Steve
10-25-2011, 07:50 PM
That got me thinking, you could also go with a headline like 'Your ship has come in!'

http://derrickday.com/wp-content/uploads/your_ship_has_come_in.jpg

I bet a lot of other local businesses are going to be jumping on this theme too so maybe they will give you ideas as well.