PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Scag

Sabina Lawn Care
10-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Need some advice as I've never owned a Scag... Found a 04 Tiger cub 48" cut 19 hp kaw. 380 hrs. new belts, extra blades 4200.00 O.B.O.. what kind of deal does this sound like? good, bad, o.k.? The deck size is all right for me. Is the 19 hp enough ? And is the Cub the same quality as the larger mowers, deck, spindles ect...

bradsnipes
10-19-2011, 07:42 PM
i have owned two scag commercial grade (one was a tiger cub) mowers and i have ran my business with them for almost 10 years. I recently purchased a brand new Gravely mower but i was always very happy with the Scag mowers. They are very high quality machines that require little maintenance. Just take care of it (oil changes, hydrolic oil changs etc, clean air intake every 10 days or so) and it will last you a long long time. Scag mowers are built Super heavy duty so it would be a great machine to have im sure depending on how it was taken care of in the past. Hope this helps

Brad in South Carolina !!!

Steve
10-20-2011, 03:52 PM
How does that compare with a new one as far as price goes?

wandfsmall
10-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Need some advice as I've never owned a Scag... Found a 04 Tiger cub 48" cut 19 hp kaw. 380 hrs. new belts, extra blades 4200.00 O.B.O.. what kind of deal does this sound like? good, bad, o.k.? The deck size is all right for me. Is the 19 hp enough ? And is the Cub the same quality as the larger mowers, deck, spindles ect...

The price is a little high in my opinion but not out of the question. I would look closely at the hours as most homeowners I have with mowers like this put at least 90 hours a year that would run about 540 hours. As for the 19hp that is a little under powered but you should not have any problems with it, that 19hp will out power a 24 hp briggs intek.

turf&tree
10-21-2011, 07:31 PM
I had a toro z400 with a 19 hp kaw and it was underpowered in my opinion, especially using a power assisted vac on it and also the mulching system. It was a 48"
Now we run emark vantage 48" with 24hp kaw's I only use the micro mulch setup All Year! No bagging whatsoever my lawns look better than the competition. I went with bigger engines with that in mind.
Oh yeah, we don't have to haul any grass away ever!
Jim