PDA

View Full Version : Company info on truck?

Clays Landscape
10-18-2011, 09:49 PM
I am thinking about whether or not to put my company logo and number on the side of my truck. I have an enclosed trailer with everything on it but I am not always pulling the trailer. If this is recommended, should I simply get a magnet or actual decal?

element009
10-18-2011, 10:32 PM
I am thinking about whether or not to put my company logo and number on the side of my truck. I have an enclosed trailer with everything on it but I am not always pulling the trailer. If this is recommended, should I simply get a magnet or actual decal?

I'd say definitely get it on the truck as well. Decal is the best thing to do because sometimes jerky kids might steal your magnets off because they have nothing else to do....but magnets are much cheaper obviously. I think you can get one on vistaprint for less than 20 bucks.

I'd say get something on there as soon as you can. If you can't afford the decal, get 2 magnets for now. You can save up for a decal and in the meantime you'll still have the advertisement on your truck. Hopefully no one will rip the magnets off while you're waiting to get decals, but even if they do you won't lose that much money.

Hedgemaster
10-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Unless you do NOT want new business, or are otherwise trying to hide what you do for some reason (not legit?), it's absolutely 110% retarded not to letter your vehicle.

Sez the man who STILL has no lettering on his truck. :D

Seriously though. I can't even begin to imagine how much business has slipped right by because people just see "a truck" parked outside.

My temporary solution was to get lawn signs which I place in front of and behind my truck, and they have helped to identify myself to those in the area. The DO notice and they remember, and they STOP ME asking for quotes. This didn't happen nearly as often before the yard signs, so lettering the truck is just going to help me that much more.

(maybe someone can enlighten me if there are good reasons NOT to advertise your business)

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-19-2011, 12:39 AM

(maybe someone can enlighten me if there are good reasons NOT to advertise your business)

You plan on not mowing and robbing the place. Thats all I can think of.

Hedgemaster
10-19-2011, 01:42 AM
Seriously though. I can understand that the guy just starting out may not think that it's money well spent, but all day, every day I see all sorts of trucks with mowers and equipment that have no lettering. Why?

I mean, not just a beat-up Chevy with a Craftsman mower tossed in back, but dump trucks pulling $50,000 worth of mowers on an 18' trailer... what gives? Why would you not show the public - your potential customers - the info they need to identify, and contact you?

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-19-2011, 01:50 AM
Beats me... I did the website and magnets before I even started my business so I'm at a lost. I even put the stupid lettering that people use for mailboxes on my trailer. I do want a vinyl wrap for the truck, I just havent splurged yet.

I think you might have hit the nail on the head as not being legit. When I first bought commercial auto insurance something that my agent said was "you dont want to be in a accident with lettering".

jymie
10-19-2011, 06:51 AM
Check out buildasign (http://www.buildasign.com/). They have a much better quality magnetic sign available than vistaprint. Vista prints magnetic sign is very thin and I had one blow off the truck and it got lost.

wandfsmall
10-19-2011, 02:09 PM
I think you might have hit the nail on the head as not being legit. When I first bought commercial auto insurance something that my agent said was "you dont want to be in a accident with lettering".

That is the main reason for no putting your name on the side of your truck. Also you have people that are wanting to upgrade trucks before they do spend the money on putting a logo on the truck.

Steve
10-19-2011, 05:23 PM

What does that mean though? Why do you think he would tell you that and is that good advice or not?

justin_time
10-19-2011, 05:52 PM
That is the main reason for no putting your name on the side of your truck. Also you have people that are wanting to upgrade trucks before they do spend the money on putting a logo on the truck.

The only reason I don't have any letters on my truck is because it's my dad's truck. I don't own it, so I just use it all the time due to the fact my dad can no longer drive due to eye vision problem.

The transmission blew, so i can go get myself my own truck ! Then i will be putting letters on it :)

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Why do you think he would tell you that and is that good advice or not?

I was getting quotes on general liability and wasnt sold whether or not to get commercial auto. I was going to wait till winter, thinking I only needed it for snow removal.

What does that mean though?
If you get into a accident on the way to or back from a job and have personal auto. The insurance company wont cover a dime. Youll be liable for every dollar in damage.

If you just have a mower in the back, you might get away with it but if youve got signs all over your truck. Your done! Youll definitely have the policy dropped.

Steve
10-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Also you have people that are wanting to upgrade trucks before they do spend the money on putting a logo on the truck.

Is this a good or bad idea? Ultimately can't we keep putting off things until never?

Is it bad to have a sign on a truck that doesn't look to good? Or is it always helpful to be promoting your business name?

Hedgemaster
10-20-2011, 06:17 PM
I was getting quotes on general liability and wasnt sold whether or not to get commercial auto. I was going to wait till winter, thinking I only needed it for snow removal.

If you get into a accident on the way to or back from a job and have personal auto. The insurance company wont cover a dime. Youll be liable for every dollar in damage.

If you just have a mower in the back, you might get away with it but if youve got signs all over your truck. Your done! Youll definitely have the policy dropped.

The whole insurance thing may vary by state, but here in PA I'm perfectly fine using my regular policy that I've had for years - no need to switch to a "commercial policy" UNLESS I have any employees that will drive it, OR if I title it under my business name. Otherwise, no problem if I have an accident while going to, coming from, or while working - it's covered. (except for equipment - that needs to be covered separately)

Trust me, I confirmed this with three insurance companies before accepting it as truth.

Ducke
10-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Only problem I have with magnetic signs is how many you loose over a season and time wasted back tracking trying to find were they blew off at.

jymie
10-20-2011, 11:41 PM
Only problem I have with magnetic signs is how many you loose over a season and time wasted back tracking trying to find were they blew off at.

I have never lost a magnetic sign that I got from Buildasign (http://www.buildasign.com/). They do not blow off at all. They do not move around either. Very good product.

wuduyathink
10-23-2011, 11:14 PM

So are you saying that, it is illegal to have signs on your truck if you don't have commercial auto insurance?

I am only starting off next season and I wasn't planning on buying any insurance for the first year as I imagine it being an extra hassle plus extra expenses.

Also to have any logo or signs on your truck, do you need to have an F plate or it isn't mandatory?

Also what are the pros and cons of having commercial insurance?

Thanks guys!

wandfsmall
10-23-2011, 11:38 PM
So are you saying that, it is illegal to have signs on your truck if you don't have commercial auto insurance?

I am only starting off next season and I wasn't planning on buying any insurance for the first year as I imagine it being an extra hassle plus extra expenses.

Also to have any logo or signs on your truck, do you need to have an F plate or it isn't mandatory?

Thanks guys!

you would have to look into local laws for the answers to your questions.

some insurance policy's will not pay out in a wreck though if you have business signs on your truck but do not have a commercial policy so that is what most people are likely talking about.

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-23-2011, 11:41 PM

Thanks guys!
its not illegal but if its in the police report or the insurance adjuster sees it. They will use it as a way of not paying the claim. I had a insurance company drop me because I was a pizza delivery driver.

Not sure about the f plate.

Liability. Its about losing your assets. You wont be able to step foot on a commercial property without it. Since 60% of my business is commercial its a must have.

Hedgemaster
10-24-2011, 01:50 AM

Thanks guys!

So being protected if you should throw a stone through someone's eye is a "hassle"?

I found business liability insurance for around $350-$400 a year. Not that expensive when you consider everything else that you'll be spending, or the fallout after hurting someone/damaging their property.
Getting insurance was hands down, the EASIEST part of becoming legit. If you think that's a hassle, wait until you find out all the other stuff you may need to do.

This thread isn't about insurance though. Check your local/state laws regarding required coverage. Some people are saying they must have commercial auto policies, others (myself/PA) do not. (but there are exceptions)

The thing that was mentioned before about the signs is that if you ARE required to have a commercial policy, but do NOT, then having signs on your truck would indicate that it's not a "personal vehicle" should you be involved in an accident. Bad. Well, not really, because if you're operating illegally, you SHOULD be punished.
:D

Steve
10-24-2011, 06:29 PM
A downside I could see to lettering your truck is if your town does not allow you to park commercial vehicles in your residential driveway.

Have any of you ever had a problem with this?

Ducke
10-24-2011, 07:19 PM
A downside I could see to lettering your truck is if your town does not allow you to park commercial vehicles in your residential driveway.:eek:

Are you serious a law saying you can't park your work truck in your home driveway :confused::confused::confused::confused:
Like were do these people live USSR :confused::confused::confused:
Man that is scary. I hope your just kidding?????

JeffK26
10-24-2011, 07:41 PM
To Ducke, he's not kidding. Not every city or town has a law like that but some do. The excuse is that a commercial vehicle takes away from the residential look...the real reason is the revenue generated by fines so they can have more money to waste.

A lot of times you see neighborhood Associations pass a rule like this. They want to make every house look the same basically. My buddy lives in one that has rules from no fences unless it's a white post fence to no more than 5 bushes in front of the house, to the color of mulch they can use.

element009
10-25-2011, 11:50 AM
To Ducke, he's not kidding. Not every city or town has a law like that but some do. The excuse is that a commercial vehicle takes away from the residential look...the real reason is the revenue generated by fines so they can have more money to waste.

A lot of times you see neighborhood Associations pass a rule like this. They want to make every house look the same basically. My buddy lives in one that has rules from no fences unless it's a white post fence to no more than 5 bushes in front of the house, to the color of mulch they can use.

Yea Saber you're right. My town has some similar ordinances. We're allowed to have one commercial vehicle in the driveway, but if you have more than one, it's a violation.

Steve
10-25-2011, 08:21 PM
And with that being the case, I wonder how the township would handle a truck and enclosed trailer all lettered up with business information? Would that count as one or two commercial vehicles?

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-25-2011, 09:55 PM
I live in a condo, the association wont let me park my enclosed trailer in the parking lot. So I park it in the street right in front of the building. lol. So instead of being hid in the lot its in the open.

Then the property group that manages the condos hired me for snow removal for a apartment complex across town. I wanted this property since the contractors last year sucked. My fiance fell twice when she was pregnant.

Hedgemaster
10-25-2011, 11:41 PM
A downside I could see to lettering your truck is if your town does not allow you to park commercial vehicles in your residential driveway.

That's something I hadn't considered. It's possible, however not as likely as some other ideas mentioned.

According to the rules for operating a business from my home, I'm not allowed to park "commercial vehicles" at my home.
I didn't ask what they meant, but assume they mean heavy equipment, although I suppose it could mean "dump truck" as well.

Personally, I don't have an issue with this, as I would be pissed if some slob started a business next door to me and crapped up the neighborhood with all sorts of unsightly "crap". Some people can be trusted to handle themselves in a professional manner - it's those who can not who bring about these "laws".

element009
10-26-2011, 11:13 AM
And with that being the case, I wonder how the township would handle a truck and enclosed trailer all lettered up with business information? Would that count as one or two commercial vehicles?

In my case, I believe trailers are not in the same category. I've had code enforcement officers on my block and they never said anything about my truck/trailer combo.

grass guru
10-28-2011, 09:39 AM
I don't have lettering on my outfit, but that's because I was told (by a misinformed individual) that If I put lettering on my truck I would need a D.O.T number. However, that is not the case, and I need D. O. T. numbers anyway.

I guess one would not letter if they were trying to keep their personal auto instead of commercial auto, if they have an ordinance against having commerical vehicles in driveway, or if they do a really crappy job, and don't want anyone to know who they are.

And if you don't have business liablity insurance, get it! What if you put a rock through someones sliding glass door, hit someone in the eye with a rock, or worse yet, hit something that goes into the road and causes an accident, and even kills someone. You will be done. W/out insurance, you could loose everything.... even your home. It's the best few hundred dollars you will spend to cover yourself.

Steve
10-28-2011, 07:37 PM
I don't have lettering on my outfit, but that's because I was told (by a misinformed individual) that If I put lettering on my truck I would need a D.O.T number. However, that is not the case, and I need D. O. T. numbers anyway.

What is the situation with the D.O.T. number? When is it or isnt it needed?

grass guru
10-29-2011, 07:40 AM
You need a D.O.T. number if your more than 10,000 lbs gvw. My chevy 1/2 ton is 4,600 lbs, and my tandem axle trailer is 7,000 lbs. That's a combined total of 11,600 gvw. Its the total of the gvw, which is what you could haul, not what it weighs. They are free to get.

element009
10-29-2011, 01:24 PM
You need a D.O.T. number if your more than 10,000 lbs gvw. My chevy 1/2 ton is 4,600 lbs, and my tandem axle trailer is 7,000 lbs. That's a combined total of 11,600 gvw. Its the total of the gvw, which is what you could haul, not what it weighs. They are free to get.

is that a national thing?? my truck is 10K gvw, but when I add my trailer, the combo would jump to 12950. I don't have a DOT number as yet.

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-29-2011, 09:19 PM
is that a national thing?? my truck is 10K gvw, but when I add my trailer, the combo would jump to 12950. I don't have a DOT number as yet.

no its state to state. CT is any combo over 25,000. Not sure about NJ.

grass guru
10-30-2011, 12:47 AM

It is state to state. There are federal regulations for interstate and intrastate, and state regulations for interstate and intrastate. Check out www.fmcsa.dot.gov. you could also call your secretary of state, and they may be able to help you, or at least point you in the right direction.