PDA

View Full Version : pros and cons of a open or enclosed trailer

strength
10-17-2011, 09:04 PM
i have a 14ft open trailer with trimer racks tool box gas rack ect i know they cost more but this time of year i can get a 05 16ft used enclosed for $2000 whet are the pros and cons of open to enclosed trailer

Hedgemaster
10-17-2011, 09:25 PM
You can pee in an enclosed trailer in a pinch.

:D

mark123
10-17-2011, 09:33 PM

WIN!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm getting one!

justin_time
10-17-2011, 09:51 PM

I think everybody should trade their trailer in for an enclosed ;)

mark123
10-17-2011, 09:55 PM
I think everybody should trade their trailer in for an enclosed ;)
I'm seriously considering it now. Really.

justin_time
10-17-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm seriously considering it now. Really.

Same here.. or build myself a port-a-potty LOL

thom
10-17-2011, 11:17 PM
i have a 14ft open trailer with trimer racks tool box gas rack ect i know they cost more but this time of year i can get a 05 16ft used enclosed for $2000 whet are the pros and cons of open to enclosed trailer

I have a 7x14 open trailer.it is used for everything I do,including hauling mulch,and landscape clean up debris.

Steve
10-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Closed trailers provide you with better security for your equipment but are more expensive.

Open trailers are cheaper and allow you to more easily dump things into and out of them.

Here is a video podcast that may help as well.

Open or enclosed landscape trailer? - GopherHaul Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum Show

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/B8R-dlKzhvY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

justin_time
10-18-2011, 05:40 PM
Here's my opinion

I think an open trailer is as handy for hauling equipment. The only factor that's different if its raining your equipment won't be wet. The open concept you can get some branches/haul some stuff away. The only option if you do own an enclosed trailer would be to have a separate dump trailer (but not sure if it's worth buying 2 trailers)

Just my 2 cents :D

Clays Landscape
10-18-2011, 08:42 PM
I have an enclosed trailer 7x16 that acts as a billboard on wheels. I wouldn't have it any other way. It has my logo, website, phone number. I also have an open 18ft trailer for hauling the tractor and bulk mulch. I will never have anything but an enclosed trailer!

MountainViewGreenskeeper
10-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Honestly I think it depends on situation. Weather has to be considered along with security. But mostly comes down to hauling. As it was said before you would need another trailer for hauling open or dumping or sides/dump bed for you pickup.

Here in AZ little rain, you can still secure stuff(locking front box, locking tailgate, and chain welded to frame for smaller items) and we do tree work/clean ups from time to time that would not be possible without the open trailer. Also keep in mind we have 4ft sides on our trailer.

I can see with normal sides not being as effective over the enclosed people going enclosed route so again it depends on your needs and wants.

Hedgemaster
10-19-2011, 12:48 AM
You can't pee in an open trailer.

:p

JeffK26
10-19-2011, 07:16 AM
My vote is open trailer. If ya can pee in a bottle while manning a humvee turret ya can find a way to do it in an open trailer without anyone knowin.

Of course i have an upper hand on some guys here....pun fully intended.

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-19-2011, 02:30 PM
I bought a enclosed trailer first and now am looking for a open. Both have there advantages. Me I didnt have a shed or garage so I needed a place to keep equipment dry and safe. The downside is its to full of stuff to even use for anything besides storage. I had to sacrifice size because of the cost.

Pros of enclosed:
Security!
Equipment is out of weather!
Nicer
You dont need to unload or load at end of day.
Big Advertising space

Cons:
Expensive so most likely smaller and lower hauling capacity.
Cant use for hauling brush, leafs, etc.
if its super packed like mine, hard to get at equipment.
More wind resistant.
Birds like to drop bombs on it.