PDA

View Full Version : Students operate lawn-care business for extra cash

Steve
04-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Now how cool is this. You get to learn hands on how to run a lawn care business by actually running one. This lco was started by students and is passed down to new students each year. You can't beat that kind of training!

Have you ever heard of something like this anywhere else?

Do you think you would have benefitted from such a class?

Students operate lawn-care business for extra cash (http://media.www.dailyutahchronicle.com/media/storage/paper244/news/2007/04/04/News/Mowing.For.Money-2821997.shtml) - When an older classmate offered Billy Van Drunen a job cutting grass a year ago, he didn't think it was a big deal.

It turns out what he was really being offered was a chance to take over a lawn-care company.

"It has been the best thing to happen to me; I just was at the right place at the right time," said Van Drunen, a senior in economics.

The business, now Van Drunen Lawn Care, is a student-owned and -operated lawnmowing and landscaping business that was started 12 years ago by U students, for U students.

The original founders got together and bought a few old lawnmowers and went door to door in their neighborhoods looking for lawns to cut. The company now cares for about 65 lawns along the Wasatch Front and employs as many as six people.

"The amount of lawns grows every year, so we have to get more students to do the work," Van Drunen said.

It's not just the work that gets passed down from year to year, but the equipment, as well.

PremierLand
04-08-2007, 02:20 AM
That is neat. Big Universitys always do something like that. ALOT of big universitys have a business called "College Painters" which is a packet and a bunch of stuff to own a business while in college. I believe it is a franchise.