PDA

View Full Version : hey guys strengths the name landscaping the game

strength
10-13-2011, 08:36 PM
First time posting on this forum. I have been co owner of my own landscaping co since 2000 .I started with a full time lawn care co I was foolsh and didnt reinvest in to the co and had a one track mind as far as the co by doing only lawn care and not much else in .2003 went to work full time for a good hardscape co learned so much i worked there for 4yrs 2007 I left there and went to a large lawn care co same thing i learned a lot. some times not how to run a landscaping co but how not to run one the whole time I was watching & learning i was still runing my lawn care co 2009 I went back in my co full time this time renaming and starting fresh the last 3yrs have been up and down good for the most part . looking to expand this spring long story short has any one had any good luck with cuting bank owned propertes get calls all the time but when i do the numbers it never pans out to be worth is some of the property mangement co want to give me $20 flat rate we all know with the price of gas its not worth the time to unload your mower for that but i do see co doing them. ? is what prop man co are you using and is there any money in it ? do you think this is a good way to expand my co

mark123
10-13-2011, 11:05 PM
I tell the bank owned guys that I set my prices, not them. All I can say is get the cash up front. The first payment will show up and then stop. When that happens don't continue doing the lawn. That's what they're counting on.

If you don't get it up front the payment will be less than you expected and agreed upon. These guys are very good at ripping people off.

kalawn
10-14-2011, 01:53 PM
check craigslist for property preservation and go from there. I do tons of it here in MI and it has been very good to me. I don't know any that let you set your own prices or get paid up front. Most have anywhere from a 14-60 day payment schedule, which is scary at first. I work with around 10 national companies and I have had no issue ever with getting paid. the $20 per lawn seems a little low, my lowest is $60 currently for a 1/4 acre lot and it goes up from there depending on size and height of the grass. We just recently cut a 1.5 acre lot with 30"+ for $2000 so I figure not bad for a couple hours of work. I would say check them out do some research on them and decide if its something you can handle. Remember they require at least $1 million in liability insurance so thats another thing to think about too.

Steve
10-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Welcome to our forum!

I started with a full time lawn care co I was foolsh and didnt reinvest in to the co and had a one track mind as far as the co by doing only lawn care and not much else in .

That is very interesting! What's your view on what you feel you should have done differently?

strength
10-15-2011, 12:08 PM
WELL FIRST think on the off season snow plowing handyman work ect in 2009 went i went full time back in to my co first goal was a plow truck well the winter of 09-2010 was ok but last winter was great i live in pa we had all these 2-4 in cliper storms 3-4 a week so i did good i give a flat rate for snow removal 2-8 in any thing over is double the flat rate . i try to think one season out for equipment .i bought a back up plow in july for a 2500 truck that is my daily driver just in case my one ton brakes down like last year had a back up plan had a butty of mine do some of my acounts that i cont do with a blower but he got money hungry on me knowing i was up against the wall so i cut the head off the snake this year i have found you get a better price on equipment out of season so im looking for a new walk behind now

Steve
10-17-2011, 04:31 PM
What kind of services do you promote with your handyman work and what's the best way to promote them? I could see such services as being popular.

strength
10-18-2011, 06:31 AM
Painting Staining Custom Out Door Furniture Any Handyman Work Spackle Trim Etc I Know How To Do A Lot My Step Dad Had A Sub Contracting Co Till He Passed Away In 09 Kind Of The Reason I Started Back Up My Co Full Time One Thing I Learned From Him Is If People Like You They Don't Want To Deal With Any One Else My Step Dad Was Not All Ways The Lowest Bid Or Did The Best Work But People Liked Him Thats How I Up Sell All My Winter Handyman Work People Don't Want You In Their House If The Don't Like You Bottom Line

Steve
10-18-2011, 04:41 PM
That is a very good point and I think its really smart to be offering all those services. They most certainly should keep you busy.

strength
10-19-2011, 08:02 AM
yes it does last winter i did lots of in side work paint doors flooring and if its out of my league i have a general contractor that i work with and i don't just hand over the work we work on the job together so i can learn how to do what i don't know

Steve
10-19-2011, 05:16 PM
i don't just hand over the work we work on the job together so i can learn how to do what i don't know

That is brilliant. That way you are always learning more AND while getting paid!

strength
10-20-2011, 06:50 AM
true and I'm not handing over work plus my customer feels at ease because I'm there the whole time not some strange guy with his butt crack hanging out i call the shots if my gc and i run in to something not planed i go to the home owner and tell them

Steve
10-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Are there certain services you are looking to learn more about how to provide than others?