PDA

View Full Version : Hey Guys need some opinions of other pros on this one...

bradsnipes
10-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Hey guys,
hope everyone is well and business is good. I am in a bit of a situation here and i want to get some opinions of others on this topic. I am in the market for a new zero turn and im deciding between a 60 or 61 inch deck or going back with what im more use to, a 52 inch deck. I cut mostly normal to large size residential homes and some small businesses but im hoping next year will get even bigger and better with some bigger commercial accounts (apt buildings, office complexes, large estate homes etc), but as always this is not a guarantee that this will happen. I just dont want to make the mistake of buying a bigger mower than what i need or can use but then again, i dont want to make the mistake of buying smaller than what i need for what may come down the road.......for anyone who has been here before please respond and help me out. Im not looking for what name brand to go with or any of that, just opinions on the situation itself. Since the price of a 52 or 60 is roughly the same in some cases and only a few hundered more in others, this is a hard call to make. Can anyone out there help me out and tell me what your experience has been with this situation?? thanks so much guys !!!
Brad Snipes w/ Lawnworks in South Carolina !!!
:confused:

Sprinkler Buddy
10-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Larger the cut the better, also easier getting under trees etc... The minutes it saves also add up. It's a win win with the larger cut in my opinion.

I started with 52" cut now I use 60" and have plenty of room in the trailer. Don't regret stepping up to the bigger cut at all. My buddy has a couple of 72" cuts, he loves them too.

Steve
10-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Hi Brad,

What do you feel are the pros and cons of those two different sized mowers with the current customers you have?

bradsnipes
10-15-2011, 11:44 PM
i only ever owned 52 inch mowers or below (50 inch decks etc). Im just a bit worried about getting a 60 inch machine. I want the extra cut size but im worried it may be to big in some of my smaller residential yards that i cut. Its a hard decision to make.....i just recently sold one of my 52 inch scag tiger cubs to get a new machine but i have not decided what to buy yet. :confused:

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-16-2011, 10:15 AM
i only ever owned 52 inch mowers or below (50 inch decks etc). Im just a bit worried about getting a 60 inch machine. I want the extra cut size but im worried it may be to big in some of my smaller residential yards that i cut. Its a hard decision to make.....i just recently sold one of my 52 inch scag tiger cubs to get a new machine but i have not decided what to buy yet. :confused:

It wont be any different then the 52". Just take a few less passes.

Theres a difference between a 36" and a 60". The 36'' can go through gates and is good for small yards but cuts only half as much.

I made a mistake of buying a 44" first. Its to much in the middle. Not big enough for big yards and to big for gates. I ended up buying a 48" ztr and a 52" walkbehind. So every time I get a gate I use a 22" push behind because none fit. Despite having 3 mowers none are suited for back yards.

O.C LawnCare
10-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Bigger the better man, it saves so much time. I used to run a 48 now I run a 60, and it cut my acount times in half

strength
10-16-2011, 05:26 PM
i just bought a 61 had a 54 and i love it i still have the 54 for a back up and a 36 for the gates go for 60 -61

Apex Lawn & Landscape
10-23-2011, 02:50 PM
I have a 36" walk for fenced back yards..and a 60" for larger yards. I've found that these two sizes do pretty well. It does have impact on some issues , after a couple rain days, the bigger mowers are obviously a hell of a lot heavier and sometimes rut. I'd go for the larger cut and focus the upcoming season on larger accounts. I have on my business card " specializing in larger yards" just to help attract those customers. Best of luck