PDA

View Full Version : New guy-Not new to lawn care though.

Rixfishin
10-11-2011, 05:28 PM
What's up guys been doing lawn care off and on for years ... since I was a kid in the neigborhood I grew up in here in Va. It's kind of taking on a new meaning to me now however as I was recently layed off from my warehouse managers job 3 weeks ago. I have done ok so far by placing an ad on Craigslist and getting some business that way. I am pretty much doing this on my own except when my sons will be helping me during the summer, so I am sticking to smaller yards/properties so far I have established 7 regular customers... not setting the world on fire I know but you got to start somewhere. Any of you guys got any advice for a guy just getting started in trying to make a living with a mower, weedeater, rake etc.... Thanks guys I am sure I will have plenty of questions so thanks in advance for your help!! HAHA!:D

Steve
10-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Welcome to our forum.

You will find a great way to gain new customers is to put the word out about your new business through your social network. Have your friends and family ask people they know if anyone needs lawn care and soon enough, more calls will start coming in.

Give business cards to everyone you meet.

Rixfishin
10-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the info Steve... I really appreciate it. Things are going well so far... I know the season will slow down the closer we get to Winter... so I am doing all the work I can. Not turning anything down even though I am sure some of this work will be one shot deals... but right now making hay while the sun shines. :)

Steve
10-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Keep on the look out for other property issues when you are called to perform a single service. There are usually may ways to upsell the customer. Also ask them for referral contacts and give them a few extra business cards to hand out to others in their area.