PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe I did this.....

Bobcat1
10-10-2011, 11:41 PM
I took my battery out of the truck before and was messing with the connectors. Then I put the battery in backwards and tried to attach the cables the wrong way. It immediately started sparking and I fried some wire. Now the truck won't charge.

FRIED BATTERY!!!

http://www.motherearthnews.com/uploadedImages/articles/online_articles/2009-12-01/carbattery.jpg

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-11-2011, 12:28 AM
I took my battery out of the truck before and was messing with the connectors. Then I put the battery in backwards and tried to attach the cables the wrong way. It immediately started sparking and I fried some wire. Now the truck won't charge.

FRIED BATTERY!!!

http://www.motherearthnews.com/uploadedImages/articles/online_articles/2009-12-01/carbattery.jpg

Believe it or not I have a brother that did that three times with the same car. Twice it fried the alternator. Hes not to mechanically inclined.

Steve
10-11-2011, 06:11 PM
I think you can fry the voltage regulator doing that. Either the external one or if it is built into your alternator.

Check the voltage across the battery terminals when it's off and it should be in the 12.5 to 12.8 range.

Then start it and it should charge between 13.8 to 14.8.

If you see the voltage increase as you increase the engine rpm's then the regulator is bad.

If the charge isnt high enough, then the alternator is bad.

If the voltage isnt high enough when the engine is off, then the battery is bad.

Sprinkler Buddy
10-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Believe it or not I have a brother that did that three times with the same car. Twice it fried the alternator. Hes not to mechanically inclined.

Three times! LOL Some don't learn from their mistakes. LOL

fullblast
10-11-2011, 07:59 PM
3 times...LOL.

Was going to say we all make mistakes, hate when it happens but it does. Don't beat yourself up to bad, but... don't do it again!!!

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-11-2011, 10:00 PM
3 times...LOL.

Was going to say we all make mistakes, hate when it happens but it does. Don't beat yourself up to bad, but... don't do it again!!!

to give him a little credit his wires were both black with no markers but yeah hes a idiot. The only good part was the alternator was warranted so he kept getting new ones.

The Cleaning Doctor
10-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Sir put the wrench down and step away from the hood.

Steve
10-12-2011, 05:15 PM
The only good part was the alternator was warranted so he kept getting new ones.

LOL That is awesome.