PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Montreal

wuduyathink
10-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Hey, my names Daniil and I am planning on starting my own lawn care company next season so while doing some research I came across this forum.

I need all the help I can get so I guess I am at the right place.

I live in Montreal, Quebec so the winters are long and I have a good amount of time to get everything prepared for the next season.

Looking forward to learning from the best in the business!

bruces
10-10-2011, 01:24 AM
oh oh ! I think cheese has a new friend around here .

CHEESE2009
10-10-2011, 03:04 AM
West Island?

I got some advice for you.

Steve
10-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Welcome to our forum!

Any thoughts on offering Fall or Winter services to get yourself started?

wuduyathink
10-10-2011, 11:08 AM
West Island?

I got some advice for you.

Yes sir, I live in Pointe-Claire. I would love some advice from you. :D

Looking forward to hearing from you.

CHEESE2009
10-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Yes sir, I live in Pointe-Claire. I would love some advice from you. :D

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Alright!

To start this off, our area is a lot different from every single other person on this forum so it can be tricky to get certain advice. Before I get into that, I'll give you the places you need to go in order to get the *best* equipment;

Locapro: It's all the way down St Jean (coming from Pointe-Claire), make a left on Gouin and you should see it right away on the left, before a school. You can google it for exact directions.

Locapro is the place you will purchase all the equipment you'll need other than lawn mowers, however, they do repairs on everything - including lawn mowers. If you go there often they won't bother charging you for minor repairs and they do a fantastic job.

-

For lawn mowers of all shapes and sizes, yet only commercial grade - you will need to travel to "Vinco Equipment Inc" (Google it). Every company from our end buys from there, but we all still go to Locapro for repairs - always.

__

The pricing in our area is wrecked. It's rare that we are able to charge more than $75/Month, and the average price is no less than $65/Month. $100 for leaf removal is pretty standard for just about every property.

____

Advertising is simple. If you can design something nice on a computer (flier, 8.5/11 inches), you can get it printed out at Copie Express (St-Jean), it's a lot cheaper than Bureau en Gros.
As for business cards, go with vistaprint.ca - you can also make some nifty uniforms there.

Hand out your fliers by foot, but make sure to create a proper route first so you can cross off which streets you've delivered to. The best time to advertise hard is during the middle of March up until the end of April. That is exactly when every company goes nuts and we all get extremely angry looking through our mail.

____

Never under any circumstances do work for free, even small favors if you can help it. West Islanders are manipulative bastards who will do whatever it takes to get without giving. Trusting a client is not an option under any circumstances.

___

Everyone seems to get along (most are dishonest), though there is one company we all really hate - you are welcome to join the club. :D

Pierrefonds, do not enter. Pierrefonds is my bi&&h.

wuduyathink
10-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Alright!

To start this off, our area is a lot different from every single other person on this forum so it can be tricky to get certain advice. Before I get into that, I'll give you the places you need to go in order to get the *best* equipment;

Locapro: It's all the way down St Jean (coming from Pointe-Claire), make a left on Gouin and you should see it right away on the left, before a school. You can google it for exact directions.

Locapro is the place you will purchase all the equipment you'll need other than lawn mowers, however, they do repairs on everything - including lawn mowers. If you go there often they won't bother charging you for minor repairs and they do a fantastic job.

-

For lawn mowers of all shapes and sizes, yet only commercial grade - you will need to travel to "Vinco Equipment Inc" (Google it). Every company from our end buys from there, but we all still go to Locapro for repairs - always.

The pricing in our area is wrecked. It's rare that we are able to charge more than $75/Month, and the average price is no less than $65/Month. $100 for leaf removal is pretty standard for just about every property.

Advertising is simple. If you can design something nice on a computer (flier, 8.5/11 inches), you can get it printed out at Copie Express (St-Jean), it's a lot cheaper than Bureau en Gros.
As for business cards, go with vistaprint.ca - you can also make some nifty uniforms there.

Hand out your fliers by foot, but make sure to create a proper route first so you can cross off which streets you've delivered to. The best time to advertise hard is during the middle of March up until the end of April. That is exactly when every company goes nuts and we all get extremely angry looking through our mail.

****-

Never under any circumstances do work for free, even small favors if you can help it. West Islanders are manipulative bastards who will do whatever it takes to get without giving. Trusting a client is not an option under any circumstances.

**-

Everyone seems to get along (most are dishonest), though there is one company we all really hate - you are welcome to join the club. :D

Pierrefonds, do not enter. Pierrefonds is my bi&&h.

Wow, that's a lot of useful information! Let me guess your talking about GreenTeam (the company everyone hates)? :p

And don't worry, I am only starting in the Pointe-Claire region at least for the first season.

I have a couple of questions that I just thought of while reading what you wrote.

1) Would you recommend investing money into none industrial equipment for lets say the first year? Or don't even bother and buy industrial mowers right away?

2) Is it cheaper to buy equipment for the summer during the off winter season? Or there isn't much off a discount?

3) Should I invest my own money into equipment even if I don't have any customers yet?

Thanks a lot Cheese!

bruces
10-11-2011, 10:24 PM
1 -many have started and maintain a business with homeowner equipment ,hopefully your a little mechanically inclined if you go that way

2 -in most of canada ,the winter is approaching and the stores dont want lawn equipment around .Buy it now,in the spring its full price again

3 - never invest your own cash in your business ,just go to a bar,find a lonely ugly drunk lady with a huge purse,and after having her buy you drinks all night ,take her to the store so she can purchase you a new mower .Always invest the drunk ladies money in your business !!!

CHEESE2009
10-12-2011, 12:45 AM
Let me guess your talking about GreenTeam (the company everyone hates)? :p

LOL, no but they are pretty big - but they haven't caused any problems for anyone as of yet. They are like ninjas... they are so scattered you rarely get to see them.

And don't worry, I am only starting in the Pointe-Claire region at least for the first season.

I'm pretty sure there is potential for good business there, it would be great if you could start with some of your neighbors, but don't limit yourself from travelling several blocks away. Having a good route the first couple of years is impossible. I stuck with a small area my first year, now I have streets full of clients in several towns.

I have a couple of questions that I just thought of while reading what you wrote.

1) Would you recommend investing money into none industrial equipment for lets say the first year? Or don't even bother and buy industrial mowers right away?

If you can, purchase a commercial *self propelled* walk behind lawn mower. Because I bought mine the first year, I saved myself a lot of trouble. Later on the cheaper mowers from Reno Depot, Rona, Canadian Tire - they wouldn't last a week without something going wrong.

Don't worry too much about trimmers or blowers, you can buy them cheap for now, and I would advise that. Stay away from the brand "Yard Works" - it'll fall apart once you get to the parking lot.

2) Is it cheaper to buy equipment for the summer during the off winter season? Or there isn't much off a discount?

There is no discount, the shops store the summer equipment during the winter. Though they do offer deals during the summer season, you can get a handheld Sthil blower for $175.00 I think at LocaPro. Usually it was $250 or something.

3) Should I invest my own money into equipment even if I don't have any customers yet?

Yes and no. You need a commercial lawn mower because that is the thing you will need to rely on to get things done, and to save you money in the long run by avoiding repairs. They are heavy, so lifting it into a truck wont be easy, you can seriously hurt yourself as they weigh 100lbs. Ramps suck, they become a hassle so if you can get a simple trailer, all the power to you!

I was going to start off with a wheelchair kind of "holder" that hooks onto the hitch of the truck... but I could never find where to get one. I ended up buying a trailer in Lassalle, but I wouldn't advice blowing money like I do.

Thanks a lot Cheese!

No problem! This is very exciting!!! You should take pictures of your progress. Oh and if you really want to succeed, keep the forum away from our competitors. This way we can talk smack about them without them knowing ;) (lol)

ALSO:

You can always browse craigslist.ca for a trailer... I took 2 seconds and there is one for sale in Montreal (no idea where), but it's not bad!

http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/grd/2644816680.html

CHEESE2009
10-12-2011, 01:30 AM
This might help! It's a little rough, but it's a basic guide.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/mad_insane/Map.png

Also, don't bother with google earth or mapquest.

Use this to plan/print your routes;

http://www.takemaps.com/en/map_of_montreal_en.php

Who knows, maybe in time we can take over... ahahaha!

http://rlv.zcache.com/team_evil_t_shirts-p235556497808347144qw9u_400.jpg

wuduyathink
10-14-2011, 11:07 AM
3 - never invest your own cash in your business ,just go to a bar,find a lonely ugly drunk lady with a huge purse,and after having her buy you drinks all night ,take her to the store so she can purchase you a new mower .Always invest the drunk ladies money in your business !!!

HAHA Great idea Bruce. I actually work at a Bar and Grill where there are lots of cougars. I always get looks so I think this won't be a problem. :D

wuduyathink
10-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks for all the information Cheese! And I will for sure keep this forum away from the competitors I can see why it can give you the edge over your competition!