PDA

View Full Version : Performance Chips for Trucks

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Do these ebay Performance Chips work? Not worried about hp increase but a few mpg would be helpful. I seen these chip from $10 to several hundred. Any insight?

Steve
10-07-2011, 08:29 PM
I would think that the engine is set by default to run optimally. Anything that is done aftermarket with a chip may help one side of an equation with a detraction from another.

Maybe you can get a little more gas mileage by tweaking something but then get less response or horsepower from the engine.

thom
10-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Do these ebay Performance Chips work? Not worried about hp increase but a few mpg would be helpful. I seen these chip from $10 to several hundred. Any insight?

In a word,"dont do it".
I'll explain it in detail if you ask.

dclawnfl
10-08-2011, 02:19 PM
i use the bullydog program(watchdog gt ) for my 3500 dieselmax.programs are not for everyone,but more horsepower means less fuel,if used in the proper setting.

dhumphryes
10-08-2011, 10:36 PM
if you are looking for performance i would suggest http://blackbearperformance.com/

this guy did my truck in Gulfport Ms, while he was there and we love it.

i also think he can do economy tuning also.

just look at it

David

Steve
10-10-2011, 11:29 AM
In a word,"dont do it".
I'll explain it in detail if you ask.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

thom
10-10-2011, 12:30 PM
I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

as you said.
the factory "sets up" the vehicle to run optimally thru all points of the power curve.
the factory also must comply with state and federal pollution regulations.
I was a mechanic in an independant auto repair shop from 1972 to 2008.
I've seen many "things" on the market that were designed to increase fuel economy,or engine performance.these "things" were either gasoline addatives,or some type of add on hardware.from those whom I have known,who have used these things,they have said that there was not an appreciable advantage.wasted money.
I have also seen damage done to engines from the use of these things.

Ryan's Lawn Care
10-10-2011, 05:08 PM
if u have a diesel just take all of the emissions junk off

dclawnfl
10-10-2011, 08:58 PM
you must set them up for your use,i run the bd program i was getting 14mls to a gal now i get 21.u do the math my program was 699 plus 170.i will save about 70gals per month times 12 at 369 per gal. over 3099.00 i will save this yr.if my math is correct:eek:

picframer
10-10-2011, 09:22 PM
In a diesel yes, Rocketchip, I have also changed the injectors to .205's, tremendous difference in power and economy, as for gas I probably would not touch it as a gas engine is a very different animal.

Johnny_boy02
10-10-2011, 11:45 PM
It depends on the truck. With diesel it is much easier to get an increase. With a gas truck I would just drive like a grandma if I were after better mpg.

As for the "factory setting things for optimal performance" that is laughable. The factory sets up the vehicles for emissions requirements first then to placate the drooling masses second. There are plenty of people in the aftermarket more skilled at tuning a vehicle than the factory.

thom
10-11-2011, 12:36 AM

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/reports.htm

Johnny_boy02
10-11-2011, 01:08 AM
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/reports.htm

"There has been diminishing interest in the program however; the most recent report was issued in 2005"

Most of that info is about fuel additives, lubricants, or as seen on T.V. gimmick products. You seem to be arguing a point you have no real world knowledge of.

How many aftermarket programers, professional tuners. exhaust systems, air filters, etc do you have personal and not "oh well I heard from a guy" experience with?

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-11-2011, 01:23 AM
"There has been diminishing interest in the program however; the most recent report was issued in 2005"

Most of that info is about fuel additives, lubricants, or as seen on T.V. gimmick products. You seem to be arguing a point you have no real world knowledge of.

How many aftermarket programers, professional tuners. exhaust systems, air filters, etc do you have personal and not "oh well I heard from a guy" experience with?

I read a few of the reports and they sound fishy. They recommend to avoid idling to save gas, shut off your engine at lights, when you get out the car, etc but say a product that would shut your car of automatically doesn't have any benefit. The gov is a bunch of hypocrites.

thom
10-11-2011, 08:12 AM

see my response to steve.
I have lost track of the number of gimmicks I have seen in real world
use.
I dont argue with anyone making claims they cant prove.

If anyone here has an item proven to increase fuel Efficiency of any gasoline engine installed in a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck,take your claim to the linked website.

Johnny_boy02
10-11-2011, 05:32 PM
see my response to steve.
I have lost track of the number of gimmicks I have seen in real world
use.
I dont argue with anyone making claims they cant prove.

If anyone here has an item proven to increase fuel Efficiency of any gasoline engine installed in a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck,take your claim to the linked website.

So just like I said the only proof you have is an outdated website that has little to no info on what the OP asked about and "well I heard from a guy who heard from a guy" type info.

O.C LawnCare
10-11-2011, 08:41 PM
get a tuner like effi live

kalawn
10-16-2011, 09:37 AM
The tuners work more so with deisels than gassers. I have 2 chevy 3500s with the duramax and I have the big hoss set up on one of them along with a lift and larger (37") tires the fuel economy is roughly 1 mpg over stock but the performance and reliability and driveability its much betther than stock. The other truck has a custom twin turbo and a modified big hoss setup and that thing is a blast to drive has enough power to pull anything you throw at it. The fuel economy is only about 2mpg less than stock, as long as I', not in the gas hard...lol. This is my personal truck so the 2mpg loss isnt a huge problem like it would be on the work trucks that see lots of miles a week. I also have a couple chevy gassers and I have added a banks tuner, exaust, headers, cold air intake and upgrades my plugs and wires and have notices very little fuels gains, maybe 1 mpg, but once the trailers are behind them its not much of a gain. They run and operate better than stock, which only tunes for emmissions, so the money is worth it.

thom
10-18-2011, 12:11 AM
[ I also have a couple chevy gassers and I have added a banks tuner, exaust, headers, cold air intake and upgrades my plugs and wires and have notices very little fuels gains, maybe 1 mpg, but once the trailers are behind them its not much of a gain. They run and operate better than stock, which only tunes for emmissions, so the money is worth it.[/QUOTE]

how much money ,did it cost you per truck, to add those parts to the gas powered trucks?

kalawn
10-23-2011, 11:17 PM
I believe that it was around 1200 per truck on the gassers. I get great deals at my local part stores but normal retail for banks exhaust is about 500 cold air intake is around 400 and tuners vary but are around the 500 range as well. I like their tuners the best but the cold air and exhaust can be from other companies like k&n and flowmaster with pretty much the same gains.

thom
10-24-2011, 09:02 AM
I believe that it was around 1200 per truck on the gassers. I get great deals at my local part stores but normal retail for banks exhaust is about 500 cold air intake is around 400 and tuners vary but are around the 500 range as well. I like their tuners the best but the cold air and exhaust can be from other companies like k&n and flowmaster with pretty much the same gains.

as you may know,the OP was asking about improving fuel economy.the hope was a provable gain.
perhaps the OP has enough info to make an informed decision.

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-24-2011, 03:56 PM
as you may know,the OP was asking about improving fuel economy.the hope was a provable gain.
perhaps the OP has enough info to make an informed decision.

Yeah at this point. Thanks for the responses. I think Im just going to bite it at this point.