PDA

View Full Version : No more bi-weekly accounts!

element009
10-06-2011, 09:12 PM
I really don't like my bi-weekly accounts. I feel like it's not worth the time or the hassle, and also the quality of a bi-weekly lawn seems inherently low, or else it would require weekly service. Does anyone think bi-weeklies are worth having?

stevef1201
10-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Nope! I am dropping all of them at the end of this year. I have started quoteing a monthly price, and when asked I tell them one cut per week. When they say I only need every other week I say OK and then give them the same price.

Hedgemaster
10-06-2011, 10:41 PM
I hate them. This is my first season and I hate them already.
When I get to the point where I don't "need" them, I don't think I'll do them any more.

They complicate the schedule and if you miss their scheduled day due to rain it just makes it that much more complicated to get them taken care of.
I started by putting all of my biweekly accounts on Tuesday. I had enough to pretty much fill my day with half of them, so by alternating between the two groups, I was doing OK.
THEN I had a stretch of really crappy weather and all of my "week 1" accounts got pushed to "week 2". :mad: Now I have ALL of my biweeklies on the same stinking day!

There are a few of them that truly only need to be cut every other week but the majority of them are biweekly due to cheapassedness - yeah, it's a word, look it up. ;)
The majority of them look like crap and are a pain to cut well due to the lack of proper care.

Note that these are the same people who think that the grass stops growing on October 1.

mark123
10-06-2011, 10:56 PM
I still take them sometimes but only at 1.25 times the cost of weeklies. Eventually, I get over it and when they skip I don't show up until their next scheduled visit making it 4 weeks between mowing. :D They always say the same dumb thing: "I thought you'd come back in one week". Nope, I have someone else scheduled there, you lose, dummy.

I should post a recent email exchange. :D

element009
10-07-2011, 01:18 AM
I only have a few bi-weekly accounts:

#1. is an old lady who truly only needs it cut bi-weekly. It's easy, takes 15 min and is near other accounts i have. She's nice and her daughter is a weekly client, so I'll keep her.

#2. This one is in a really upscale neighborhood in which I have 2 other houses. The lady is cheap. She only wants the front yard done weekly. Nobody sees the backyard so she wants it cut bi-weekly. Problem is that this is one of the earlier estimates I went on this year and I severely underbid the house by 30%. They got a sprinkler system mid-season, which made the bi-weekly backyard nearly impossible to cut nicely due to healthy growth. So I think I'm going to have to lose this account even though I don't want to. I need to raise the price significantly to justify the 1.5 hours I spend there, and I also need to tell her no dice on the bi-weekly cuts anymore because the grass grows too much. I'm sure she'll find some other sap willing to break his back for a season at a low price.

The rest of my bi-weeklies are essentially worthless. I am going to tell them next season I will no longer provide service on a bi-weekly basis.

I'm wondering if I should do this in a letter or a phone call.

Steve
10-07-2011, 08:14 PM
I'm wondering if I should do this in a letter or a phone call.

I would think it be better to talk to them about this because it would improve your chances of making the weekly sale.

Do you feel that taking bi-weekly customers is an important part of growth? Early on in your lawn care business career, is it wise to take what ever you can and then weed out the bi-weekly customers later or is it better to never take them in the first place?

Do they have their purpose for some?

element009
10-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Do you feel that taking bi-weekly customers is an important part of growth? Early on in your lawn care business career, is it wise to take what ever you can and then weed out the bi-weekly customers later or is it better to never take them in the first place?

Well early this season I was of the mindset that I would take whatever I can get in order to grow and then, as you said, weed out the ones I didn't want. But for me, halfway through the season I had already begun to want to weed out clients.

I live near the coast so the soil in my area is very sandy. If people haven't added top soil and planted grass in my area, there's usually a lot of sandy bare spots. In the hot, dry months you're basically just kicking up dust/sand in your face when you go to cut those lawns.

For me it seems like it's more hassle than it's worth. My blades dull quicker and I come home covered in a layer of sandy soil.

I think in general I want to be more selective with the clients I take on next year. Quality of lawn and frequency of service will be a factor. Also I have 1 customer who is an older lady and she wants to talk to me for 45 min everytime I'm there. Is it worth the 25 bucks I'm charging her to cut her front lawn??? Probably not.

Maybe I'm being picky, but for me owning your own business means being able to cut loose of the stuff that you don't want to deal with.

jymie
10-10-2011, 10:59 AM
I take on bi-weekly cuts and charge them 1.5 times the cost of a weekly cut. I tell them that it takes longer to do as the grass is much taller than if we cut on a weekly basis.

Hedgemaster
10-10-2011, 11:28 PM
I take on bi-weekly cuts and charge them 1.5 times the cost of a weekly cut. I tell them that it takes longer to do as the grass is much taller than if we cut on a weekly basis.

Most clients don't seem to like this idea at all because the main reason they want to cut it every other week is to save money.

Then when it rains, two weeks can turn into 17 days and then were doing TWICE the work for only 1.5 times the pay. Grrr!!!

mark123
10-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Most clients don't seem to like this idea at all because the main reason they want to cut it every other week is to save money.Yes, they need to know that is no way to save money. Train your monkeys, err, customers.

cruzgardening
10-12-2011, 01:59 AM
i was in the same boat when i bought this little route the previous owner had half of his 25 accounts biweekly and the other half weekly and he undercharged most of them... to make the story short i have 75 accounts as of today Wednesdays is when i have all my biweekly in one side of town and the other side out town is on thursdays now some Weds i do more then others i charge all my biweekly between 37-45 per service depending on the size they know that i service them either the 1st and 3rd week or the 2nd and 4th week so if it rains they know i wont come until the next schedule appointment i have a small agreement that tells them that they can schedule with me before there next appointment at a 20% higher rate or wait for their appointment and pay the regular 37-45 most people dont complain about me not showing up since they know it rain, only bad thing is that grass is longer but with help i only take about 30-60 minutes in their property depending on the size so its fast and they know that the first week we only mow and blow and the second week we weed planters mow blow edge and some we trim.

for me the biweekly clients are the ones that keep my schedule full between 10-15 homes a day all manicured unless the client really doesnt give a crap about their own yard :p

only problem i have is what do you do on a 5th week? so far i asked them to schedule me if they want me to come since i charge per service not per month what do you guys do?

Hedgemaster
10-12-2011, 02:04 AM
I do every other week, not "twice a month". It doesn't matter to me if there are 7 weeks in a month, I mow every other week.

mark123
10-12-2011, 05:26 AM
Yes, bi-weekly is every other week why would you skip week 5?

element009
10-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Yea there are several months with 5 weeks. I don't get into 1st and 3rd week or 2nd and 4th week stuff. It's just every other week.

mark123
10-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Yea there are several months with 5 weeks. ...

Actually, all months span 5 weeks except a February that starts on a Sunday when it isn't a leap year. Next one is 2015.

element009
10-12-2011, 11:09 AM
all months span 5 weeks except a February
True...although you will obviously not be doing 5 services per month every month for every customer....depends which days actually occur 5 times during said month

cruzgardening
10-25-2011, 12:35 AM
i think my costumers are worried about having to pay more i use to mow every other week but thing get complicated when it rains, its hard for me to make up a mow date when i have 15 accounts i missed becuase it rained so most my clients wanted me to show up during the week so it simplified things by making it twice a month and charging them a set ammount instead of charging them by how many times i came.

it might be a bit hard to understand but once you have about 15 accounts a day you need to figure out ways of set them up where there is a a few days out of the month where you can do additional jobs or catch up with what you missed.

mark123
10-25-2011, 07:14 AM
... it might be a bit hard to understand but once you have about 15 accounts a day you need to figure out ways of set them up where there is a a few days out of the month where you can do additional jobs or catch up with what you missed.
It's a good idea. I don't schedule mowing on Saturday or Monday.

mark123
10-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Well early this season I was of the mindset that I would take whatever I can get in order to grow and then, as you said, weed out the ones I didn't want. But for me, halfway through the season I had already begun to want to weed out clients. ...
If I may interject, I get this feeling, too but I've never gone through with it. It is better to raise prices until they let you go. It makes them the bad guy. :)

I do have some customers on my drop list though. They'll be the first to go. :D :D

element009
10-25-2011, 10:48 AM
If I may interject, I get this feeling, too but I've never gone through with it. It is better to raise prices until they let you go. It makes them the bad guy. :)

I do have some customers on my drop list though. They'll be the first to go. :D :D

Yea I agree that's a good way to weed out customers....just put it out of their price range. I'd rather tell someone I have to raise the price higher in order to continue service as opposed to just telling them I can't keep them as a client.

Hedgemaster
10-25-2011, 11:30 PM

Ideally, I don't schedule mowing on Wednesdays or Saturdays, that way I have a "buffer" for make up days, or projects like hedge trimming.

If weather prevents me from cutting a Mon or Tues client, I can usually get them taken care of by Wed (and Thurs/Fri clients by Sat), keeping them fairly close to their scheduled day. If you push it off TOO long, you end up losing a cut for that week, and then they get it in their head that they can go to "every other week".

So far it's worked, but I did have to throw a few cuts in there every other Wednesday, since I didn't have enough "other work" to keep my schedule filled all week long.

Sundays are mine. I only work then if I have no other choice.

cruzgardening
10-26-2011, 09:38 PM

we have a full house now Monday-Friday we usually do our projects on Sat but there are no mowing schedule for the weekend.

I usually don't like to work on the weekends but last month we had a big landscape and i had to work Sunday morning but it was well worth it :)

Norcal
10-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Ideally, I don't schedule mowing on Wednesdays or Saturdays, that way I have a "buffer" for make up days, or projects like hedge trimming.

If weather prevents me from cutting a Mon or Tues client, I can usually get them taken care of by Wed (and Thurs/Fri clients by Sat), keeping them fairly close to their scheduled day. If you push it off TOO long, you end up losing a cut for that week, and then they get it in their head that they can go to "every other week".

So far it's worked, but I did have to throw a few cuts in there every other Wednesday, since I didn't have enough "other work" to keep my schedule filled all week long.

Sundays are mine. I only work then if I have no other choice.

I too earlier this season didn"t schedule anything for wednesday or Saturday untill i singed 30 new accounts this year. now i do 10 to 13 accounts a day and 28 on Friday so I am also thinking about dropping the few bi weekly accounts I have left most of them drop in the winter time and dont do anything with it all winter and when they call back in the spring it needs an initial clean up wich they never want to pay for.
I think the way I am going to handle them this year is if they drop service around December and if they call back am going to either tell them that I am full or I am not taking anymore bi weekly accounts.
I also heard gas will be around $5.00 a gallon around december so I may start raising my rates starting with the Bi weekly accounts

Apex Lawn & Landscape
10-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Ah I can relate to this thread so much. Cheapassedness!!! The perfect word...I have a couple who likes bi weekly service. Picked them up middle of this year( grass hadn't been cut in a month) common sense tells you that your PROBABLY not gonna get it nice and short with the first cut.....it's a gradual effort over two to three mows. I cut their yard at 3 1/2 the first time, yes it didn't look the greatest .... But don't stare me down of your front porch acting like I'm messing up your yard, and DON'T have the nerve to come and bitch at me when I'm finished , because you clearly don't give a **** in the first place about your yard!! The guy , no disrespect, an Indian guy points to the yard and says " yo mow heer.... Den you skip dis , den you mow heer... I'm laughing... He was pointing at my stripes, the light green then dark green.. Thinking that the light green wasn't even cut!!! are you KIDDING me lol .. So I pointed at all my equipment on my truck, I said" do you think I bought all that stuff because I don't know what Im doing!?" then he points across the street and says " my yard don't look like dat!" I said " yes true..but they cut weekly and use something called fertilizer! I could not believe it. I always hold my composure with customers but this time I lost it! Didn't even want my money they owed! Sometimes it's better to chalk it up as a loss and have satisfaction in not dealing with them anymore. Haven't been back since!!

facework84
11-23-2011, 01:26 AM
I dont understand all the audacity towards bi-weekly accounts in this post. Can someone break it down for me? ALL my accounts are biweekly.

petscanning
11-23-2011, 08:56 AM
I would think it be better to talk to them about this because it would improve your chances of making the weekly sale.

I started my business late this season in Aug 1. I wanted to lose some weight and get paid doing it so I started my own ECO lawn company. I use both gas and battery operated mowers and equipment. I charge my battery operated one with my solar panels and this gets me the eco friendly customers.

I have weekly and bi-weekly customers and for me it works out real well but I have a full time job so I will hit the bi-weekly ones on the way home from work. It gets hot here in Oklahoma and some lawns need a mowing really only once a month so I can't justify mowing burnt ground. Yes I think they can be a good thing you just have to put them into your schedule. I have gained almost 70% of my customers from word of mouth and I have about 20 now and some I do a lot of odd yard jobs for and this has allowed me to make some good money and lose 30lbs. Remember a customer is a customer as long as they are worth the effort and you make some money but if its a break even deal then drop them.

mark123
11-23-2011, 10:07 AM
I dont understand all the audacity towards bi-weekly accounts in this post. Can someone break it down for me? ALL my accounts are biweekly.
There are so many reasons to avoid bi-weekly accounts but I'm sure it depends on where you are located. What is your service area?

Some of my reasons:
It red flags the customer as a cheap skate Customer wants to constantly switch which week they get serviced on which isn't possible when you have to fill the slot in the alternate week If you have to skip and you have another customer in the slot on the alternate week then it is 4 weeks between mowings wear on the mower due to cutting two (or four, see above) weeks worth of growth lawn has my name on it as the service company and it looks like crap on the off week Customer complains on cut quality (see below) I'm sure I can think of more but I'm done for now

I have one customer that is bi-weekly that sometimes skips a whole month making it 6 weeks between cuts. She actually called me and said "There's something wrong with your mower. A week after you cut the grass stood right back up as if you didn't cut it at all." :rolleyes: I tried to explain it's because the lawn needs cut every 7 days but she refused to believe it. We had a dry summer where it didn't rain and then when it did it started growing quickly again but she was still comparing the growth to the dry spell.

Hedgemaster
05-02-2012, 12:23 AM
This season, almost every new call is interested in biweekly cuts.

That reminds me. I need to call someone and tell her I must go to weekly, or she will need to find another service.
It was insane high last week - like a lawn that hadn't been cut all season. I'd charge at least 3x regular for someone who calls for a "first cut" at this point - why should I cut her tall grass for "regular price"?

CHEESE2009
05-02-2012, 10:20 AM
8:00AM the phone rings.

Lady: Hi I wanted to know what you would charge me to cut my lawn if I were to call you whenever it needed to be cut.

Me: I can give you a price for weekly service only.

Lady: Oh, I see. So I can't call you whenever I need to cut the grass?

Me: Nope. We don't work that way, sorry!

Lady: Thanks anyway.

:rolleyes:

JLM
05-02-2012, 05:20 PM
I take bi weekly customers we have a long growing season down here. Even at... bi weekly customers still pay for 21-24 cuts per year...Gotta love the Sunshine State!! :D

Hedgemaster
05-02-2012, 06:55 PM
I just picked up another biweekly. I am trying to avoid them, but it was too good to pass up. $25 and it took exactly 4 minutes to mow it. (I forgot to time the trim/blow)

It's right on my route between two existing clients. It didn't make sense to not accept it.
There's something to be said for tiny, city jobs. I have some bigger jobs that take me 30-45 minutes and only pay $30.

PineHillLawn
05-02-2012, 09:31 PM
I have one question, is it bi-weekly or bi monthly? In my head bi-weekly sounds like your cutting twice a week where bi monthly sounds more like twice a month. Am I just wrong or is this just a misunderstanding?

Hedgemaster
05-02-2012, 09:37 PM
I have one question, is it bi-weekly or bi monthly? In my head bi-weekly sounds like your cutting twice a week where bi monthly sounds more like twice a month. Am I just wrong or is this just a misunderstanding?

Biweekly = "every other week"

It's confusing to be sure. It can have both meanings. (I looked it up)

I just assume everyone is bright enough to know that I'm not going to mow their lawn twice in one week. Sometimes I will actually SAY "every other week" just to be clear.

mark123
05-02-2012, 11:07 PM
... I just assume everyone is bright enough to know that I'm not going to mow their lawn twice in one week. Sometimes I will actually SAY "every other week" just to be clear. I have one customer that wants mowed twice a week. It's a bit of a drive but at $47 per cut it's worth it.

Apex Lawn & Landscape
05-03-2012, 05:55 PM
I have a customer who likes 2 cuts a week, and she is $80 per cut! Please and Thank you

Hedgemaster
05-03-2012, 09:04 PM
I have a customer who likes 2 cuts a week, and she is $80 per cut! Please and Thank you

I need to move.

PineHillLawn
05-03-2012, 09:35 PM
I need to move.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha! Me Too!

stevef1201
05-03-2012, 11:18 PM
This season, almost every new call is interested in biweekly cuts.

That reminds me. I need to call someone and tell her I must go to weekly, or she will need to find another service.
It was insane high last week - like a lawn that hadn't been cut all season. I'd charge at least 3x regular for someone who calls for a "first cut" at this point - why should I cut her tall grass for "regular price"?

Phone rings. Can you give me an estimate for mowing my grass?

Whats your address.

Why do you need that?

So I can come look at you lawn.

Oh. It's xxxxxx 23rd Street

Get there, look over the lawn, Figure about 65 a month for weekly service, No Intial work to be done, grass is not too high.

Well can you cut it every other week instead of every week, maybe a little cheaper.

Sure I can do it for 50 a month every other week

Thats not much of a difference!

The grass grows everyday, wheter it get cut once a week or one every 14 day, and waiting 14 days means the grass is twice a long, will take twice as long to cut, is harder on my machine, wears out my belts fast, it harder to trim etc, the only thing your saving is my trip out here two time.

Oh! (then either I will try to find some one cheaper) or well every week is ok.

Hedgemaster
05-04-2012, 01:09 AM
Which reminds me... "biweekly" does NOT equal "twice a month."

Some people think that if you say "$25 every other week", that it's $50/mo.

Ummm... no, it's $25 every other week. Some months will have two cuts, some have three - it depends on the day it's scheduled on.

element009
05-04-2012, 07:56 AM
Steve, how can you charge someone 65 for 4 cuts and still make money? That's about 16 per cut.

ease-z lawn care
05-07-2012, 12:32 AM
I just started up, literally, i have 5 big ones:D 3 out of the 5 are bi weekly. I did start to see how this could jack things up, this was all very helpfull,its somthing i need to think about.

stevef1201
05-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Steve, how can you charge someone 65 for 4 cuts and still make money? That's about 16 per cut.

this size yard takes about 8 minutes.

mark123
05-07-2012, 07:32 AM
this size yard takes about 8 minutes.
That's $2/minute which extrapolates to about $120/hour. Now if you could line up a bunch of those all in one stop you could actually get near that amount otherwise you need to consider drive time. My minimum is $20 per mow so I love jobs like that.

lawncareftf
05-07-2012, 11:28 AM
I was reading through this post and wanted to get everyone's feedback on my situation. I'm still very small and I do this part time. I started the business a year ago and focus on only residential lawns. I have about 15 regular clients and all but 1 is a bi-weekly. I haven't pushed to change this because a)I hadn't thought about it and b) we are in one of the worst droughts in history. Without the the rain and under the water restrictions we have most of the lawns I have are barely needing to be mowed every other week. Now I typically charge a little more doing it every other week versus every week ($30 weekly, $40 bi-weekly). So in your opinion should I leave things as they are until the rain comes back or should I start trying to convert everyone to weekly cuts and a monthly fee. I also bill per mowing now not monthly. Thanks

mark123
05-07-2012, 04:53 PM
I was reading through this post and wanted to get everyone's feedback on my situation. I'm still very small and I do this part time. I started the business a year ago and focus on only residential lawns. I have about 15 regular clients and all but 1 is a bi-weekly. I haven't pushed to change this because a)I hadn't thought about it and b) we are in one of the worst droughts in history. Without the the rain and under the water restrictions we have most of the lawns I have are barely needing to be mowed every other week. Now I typically charge a little more doing it every other week versus every week ($30 weekly, $40 bi-weekly). So in your opinion should I leave things as they are until the rain comes back or should I start trying to convert everyone to weekly cuts and a monthly fee. I also bill per mowing now not monthly. Thanks

In my opinion, when you're just starting out you take what you can get and don't make any friends because these are the people you'll eventually phase out for better customers. My first year I took everything and I kept all but two up until this 4th year. I've got a few bi-weekly customers but I've dropped the "on call" lawns. I'm about to drop two bi-weekly lawns for a larger property and perhaps it will fund a bigger mower.

Hedgemaster
05-07-2012, 09:58 PM
In my opinion, when you're just starting out you take what you can get and don't make any friends because these are the people you'll eventually phase out for better customers. My first year I took everything and I kept all but two up until this 4th year. I've got a few bi-weekly customers but I've dropped the "on call" lawns. I'm about to drop two bi-weekly lawns for a larger property and perhaps it will fund a bigger mower.

Makes sense. I'm on season "2" and I'm already refusing that "I'll call you when I need you" bullcrap. Get on my schedule, or get out of my contact list.
There are several clients that I really like as "people" (and they are great clients in general), but they don't pay squat. As I pick up more revenue-generating properties, they will unfortunately have to be cut loose.

Being "nice" by mowing the elderly lady's lawn for pennies may get you through the pearly gates, but it doesn't mean squat to the electric company, gas company, phone company, insurance company...

I just took on another biweekly today. UGH!!! LOL

The ONE positive to accepting them, is that if it's a lawn that isn't overgrown in 2 weeks, you can actually make more money on it. (IF you have the brains to charge MORE FOR BIWEEKLY)

This one was a guy I cut biweekly last year. $60/cut - one of my highest priced jobs. I mowed while the house was on the market. He ended up renting the house and the renters were responsible for the lawn.
He called today - it's back on the market and he wanted to know if I'd like the job again. Heck yeah. It was a beast last year with a 21" mower, but now that I have my walk behind, that $60/cut is much more profitable. (Plus I cut several other lawns on that street, so it's convenient)

element009
05-08-2012, 08:03 AM
That's $2/minute which extrapolates to about $120/hour. Now if you could line up a bunch of those all in one stop you could actually get near that amount otherwise you need to consider drive time. My minimum is $20 per mow so I love jobs like that.

Yeah that's my point, there's got to be a minimum price that covers making the trip.

mark123
05-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Yeah that's my point, there's got to be a minimum price that covers making the trip.

I see. My point was that the money is in the small lawns. If you can get a tight and efficient route you can make far more money per hour cutting 40 $20 lawns than you can cutting 20 $40 lawns. Another benefit to having a larger number of smaller lawns is attrition affects you less. In other words, having 100 customer paying $20 each and losing 2 matters little; just replace them. Having 20 customers paying $100 and losing 2 is a bigger deal. That'll give you stomach problems.

Hedgemaster
05-08-2012, 09:22 AM
I see. My point was that the money is in the small lawns. If you can get a tight and efficient route you can make far more money per hour cutting 40 $20 lawns than you can cutting 20 $40 lawns. Another benefit to having a larger number of smaller lawns is attrition affects you less. In other words, having 100 customer paying $20 each and losing 2 matters little; just replace them. Having 20 customers paying $100 and losing 2 is a bigger deal. That'll give you stomach problems.

:rolleyes:

That's just dumb. I won't drop my gate for less than $100.

:D Ooops. Wrong forum entirely.

:p

element009
05-09-2012, 08:29 AM

True. Right now I'm trying to diversify my clientele. I want to have a good mix of both small and large residential accounts. Ultimately , though, I want to add commercial accounts in the mix. They pay on time and honor the contract.

lawncareftf
05-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Makes sense. I'm on season "2" and I'm already refusing that "I'll call you when I need you" bullcrap. Get on my schedule, or get out of my contact list.
There are several clients that I really like as "people" (and they are great clients in general), but they don't pay squat. As I pick up more revenue-generating properties, they will unfortunately have to be cut loose.

Being "nice" by mowing the elderly lady's lawn for pennies may get you through the pearly gates, but it doesn't mean squat to the electric company, gas company, phone company, insurance company...

I just took on another biweekly today. UGH!!! LOL

The ONE positive to accepting them, is that if it's a lawn that isn't overgrown in 2 weeks, you can actually make more money on it. (IF you have the brains to charge MORE FOR BIWEEKLY)

This one was a guy I cut biweekly last year. $60/cut - one of my highest priced jobs. I mowed while the house was on the market. He ended up renting the house and the renters were responsible for the lawn.
He called today - it's back on the market and he wanted to know if I'd like the job again. Heck yeah. It was a beast last year with a 21" mower, but now that I have my walk behind, that $60/cut is much more profitable. (Plus I cut several other lawns on that street, so it's convenient)

The lawns down here right now are barely growing much less overgrown after two weeks so it works out for me. I do charge a slight bit more for bi-weekly lawns but I also cluster them. When I started up most of my lawns came via my parents neighborhood (where this all began by accident :-)) so they are all within a mile of each other. Several of them I can offload once and do multiple lawns - which saves time and money. I think if the lawns were spread out I might not be as okay keeping them. In fact I did drop one lawn this season because it was an outlyer from ALL my other lawns so it didn't make sense to keep it.

Shark1611
05-09-2012, 10:09 PM
I have a number of them and with the gopher 2006 it's a snap for me to deal with. I bill them a flat month rate and all is good.

Hedgemaster
05-09-2012, 10:29 PM
I sent a client a text today stating that I needed to go to weekly service until the lawn "slows down".
I was almost hoping she would refuse so I could rid myself of the job, but she was OK with it. At least it won't look like crap after I cut it now.

Shark1611
05-12-2012, 04:38 PM
My bi-weekly are properties that are not being watered so I do not have a problem with them. My issue has been lots that have not been mowed is sometime and it is way above my knees. I stopped doing them, and saw two guys doing one that I turne down with two weed eaters. To each his own.