PDA

View Full Version : Darryl

sped1111
10-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Hi all. Wanted to introduce myself. This forum certainly is a wealth of information and resources. I'm a full time high school teacher but use to cut grass when I was younger, for the local school board ironically. I always enjoyed taking care of my lawn, wanted to make some extra cash and needed something to fill my summers so lawn care was a logical choice. I plan on aggressively marketing my fledgling business during the winter and spring so hopefully I'll have some work in the new year. I've already gotten some verbal commitments from several people in my neighborhood. I'm in the process of bidding on two schools in my area and two churches in order to augment my residential contracts with some commercial. My cache of equipment so far includes a Noma/ Canadiana articulating riding lawn mower (not zero turn but close), homelite trimmer, and an echo trimmer, Poulan Pro gas blower, Echo gas Blower, lawn boy push mower, and a John Deere snow blower (single stage= nice and light). I'm in the process of fabricating the following items. A 16 foot dual axle landscaping trailer, and a tow behind leaf vacuum that will include a pull out tray that will hold 6 disposable grass bags. I also plan on getting a Billy goat to clean the spots the riding lawn mower can't reach. I'm fortunate that my area of the city is tight nit and so far word of mouth has been working to my benefit. Several neighbors have already signed on to snow removal (sidewalk and small driveways). Thanks again to the creators of this site. Seems like a great group of people.

Steve
10-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Welcome to our forum!

In the past we talked about marketing to students. As a teacher, could you put together a mower/power equipment safety course that you could present to the town's younger kids in the school system?

Maybe with a flyer that could double as a coloring book with crayons to go with it for the younger kids?

Then send a press release to the newspaper that you do this presentation and that you also run a lawn care business. And maybe say that you got the idea of teaching mower safety because of your own interests in lawn care and teaching kids.

I bet these kids would then go home and put this coloring flyer up on their refrigerator. It could have your name on it and maybe your contact information on the truck in the flyer.

sped1111
10-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Unfortunately high school students would get very little out of a coloring book. Sorry. But a very good idea.

CHEESE2009
10-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Unfortunately high school students would get very little out of a coloring book. Sorry. But a very good idea.

That's a compliment to yourself! If you were a boring teacher, it's all they'd ever want to do! Haha!

You could always put magnets/ad on your vehicle, and park it where it can be seen by passerby's. Maybe even go to work with your company name on your shirt? It's obvious that students wont be the ones hiring you, but they might go home saying, "My teacher owns a lawn care business". If I were in your position, I'd be as cheesy as possible.

"If John cuts 5 lawns a day, and each lawn takes 20 minutes... all of you go home and refer me to your parents.. how much time is John spending per day cutting lawns?"

You can even say, "Tell your parents, and I'll give you a sticker" high school kids are ridiculous that way, they will think it's funny.

Steve
10-07-2011, 02:39 AM

That's why I suggested "As a teacher, could you put together a mower/power equipment safety course that you could present to the town's younger kids in the school system?"