PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Care in Hawaii

PunchyFakah
10-05-2011, 12:28 AM
Hey guys,
I'm 21 & I have been researching a lot of information about running my lawn business, More specifically the duties that I need to do when I get to a persons house until the time I'm about to leave.

So I now know all the duties & Services I will be offering researched the correct ways to go about doing them.

But my question / concern is...
I live in Hawaii, Oahu to be exact. The weather seems to be fairly the same all year round; Warm. So I was wondering , Should I follow any specific seasonal practices? I tend to notice people in the states have a few months they stop doing mowing , edging and all that stuff & choose to go with other services.

I don't know too much about seasons & what to do in certain months than in others. This is the only thing I really don't know about based on my location... Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Ducke
10-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Hey guys,
I'm 21 & I have been researching a lot of information about running my lawn business, More specifically the duties that I need to do when I get to a persons house until the time I'm about to leave.

So I now know all the duties & Services I will be offering researched the correct ways to go about doing them.

But my question / concern is...
I live in Hawaii, Oahu to be exact. The weather seems to be fairly the same all year round; Warm. So I was wondering , Should I follow any specific seasonal practices? I tend to notice people in the states have a few months they stop doing mowing , edging and all that stuff & choose to go with other services.

I don't know too much about seasons & what to do in certain months than in others. This is the only thing I really don't know about based on my location... Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Well being from the North Eastern end of the Globe I couldn't really tell you anything about mowing I Hawaii but I sure would love to come over and find out. (I wish we had more emoticons I would put one here of me on a beach with a drink. ) :D

Steve
10-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Should I follow any specific seasonal practices?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any. It sounds like you have a growing season all year round, so that should keep you busy mowing all year.

justin_time
10-05-2011, 09:40 PM
(I wish we had more emoticons I would put one here of me on a beach with a drink. ) :D

Sounds good ! I'm in too, let's go ;) :D

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_1_14.gif

PunchyFakah
10-06-2011, 04:21 AM
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any. It sounds like you have a growing season all year round, so that should keep you busy mowing all year.

Awesome, Thanks. I guess that's great news knowing I'll be in business till the grass no longer grows. :D

Steve
10-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Keep an eye out through out the year at what your competitors are up to. You may find they offer different services throughout the year that you hadn't considered.

PunchyFakah
10-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Keep an eye out through out the year at what your competitors are up to. You may find they offer different services throughout the year that you hadn't considered.

Okay cool! Thanks Steve, So much for the info!

B-2 Lawncare
10-06-2011, 06:59 PM
My self i am so glad that mowing is almost done for the year, I would go crazy if i mowed year round. what about the tress don't they drop I know palms don't but what about every thing else?

PunchyFakah
10-06-2011, 07:14 PM
My self i am so glad that mowing is almost done for the year, I would go crazy if i mowed year round. what about the tress don't they drop I know palms don't but what about every thing else?

Yes, trees drop all sort of leaves & dead branches. I just haven't found when they drop the most (In some months than others) Since I never really took notice of it, Since I just started researching & planning on getting into the lawn care area.

I also had another question I wanted to ask here, to prevent making another thread. It involves measuring a lot using a Surveying wheel thing.

Q: How would I go about measuring the grass areas on the picture below with a measuring wheel? to find the total SQ.Ft?
http://i51.tinypic.com/fjhhqc.jpg
White #'s: Sides & Direction of measuring.

I know how to measure an equal square or rectangle , but nothing with uneven ends & more than 4 sides Heh.... :confused:

PunchyFakah
10-07-2011, 02:25 AM
Never mind guys, I figured out how.
Was simpler than I actually thought it to be.

Steve
10-07-2011, 07:15 PM
I would suggest measuring the outside length and width of the property. Then subtract the area of the house and driveway or whatever else you need to subtract.

How are you doing it?

PunchyFakah
10-08-2011, 06:15 AM
I would suggest measuring the outside length and width of the property. Then subtract the area of the house and driveway or whatever else you need to subtract.

How are you doing it?

My brother told me to break it up into complete square or rectangle shapes.
So grass area 1 Could be broken down to a rectangle & a small square.
Measure the 2 individually by Base x Height then afterwards just add the 2 answers & I'll have my complete grassy Area 1 Sq ft.

So basically Sides 1-4 is the rectangle. (Measure Length x Height = X)
Then the left over small square, Sides 5 & 6. (Measure Length x Height = Y)
Then add both answers (X + Y = Total Sq.Ft)

I felt like a dummy afterwards for thinking inside the box instead of outside.:o