PDA

View Full Version : Fall leaf cleanup.

amcclain
10-04-2011, 05:04 PM
I started a mowing business for the first time this spring and did very well. Other than periods of drought business was steady and productive.

Here is my question: I have already had two of my customers ask me if I do fall leaf clean-up. I have said yes and had been planning to do so but I don't know where to begin. I have a leaf blower, several rakes, and a mower with a bagging function. Is that enough? I figured some ppl would just want the leaves blown out into the street or the woods, others would want them bagged and removed while others would want them mulched. What I have done at my house previously is just mow the leaves without bagging. The resulting mulch is good for the grass. Is it possible some would want that done? If anyone has done fall leaves before could you let me know in your expirence what the majority of customers desire?

Also, what should I charge? These will mostly be subdivison sized yards that take under an hour to mow with a pushmower. I have been charging $25-30 for mowing on these yards. I assume the price will vary as to what service is provided but as of now I have no idea.

I will greatly appreciate any responses. Thanks!

rkiernan22
10-04-2011, 06:06 PM
I usually go and look at the lawn, see how many trees there are, what size the trees are (how much leaves they have) and I also take into consideration the size of the area they want cleaned. I try to get about 40-60 dollars an hour, plus extra charge for if the person wants the leaves hauled away. I usually suck up the majority of leaves and blow off whats left. If you can estimate about how long it will take you then price it a little higher just in case. At least thats what I try to do!

Steve
10-05-2011, 07:48 PM
I have a leaf blower, several rakes, and a mower with a bagging function. Is that enough?

I would think so.

The resulting mulch is good for the grass. Is it possible some would want that done?

I am sure you could market that service. Just let the customer know what they are getting before you perform it.

Also, what should I charge?

You mentioned that you perform leaf mulching on your property. How much extra time does it take you to perform this as compared to what it normally takes you to mow your property?

Knowing that should give you an idea of what kind of multiple you would need to use to figure out how long it would take you to service other properties.

Moki
10-11-2011, 10:56 PM
I usually suck up the majority of leaves and blow off whats left.

What tool/tools do you use to suck up the leaves?

Steve
10-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Some like the DR Power equipment (http://www.drpower.com/Leaf-Lawn-Vacuum.aspx?cm_re_o=v%2fv%2fnivvCjCVyBFBj-ywzjnCjC11ejaPj4zbEj1bEL) Others like the cyclone rake (http://www.cyclonerake.com/index.htm).

Moki
10-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the info unfortunately I will have to pass on this kind of equipment until I'm making a lot more money.

:o