PDA

View Full Version : Why an LCO/PCO?

doug1980
10-02-2011, 11:27 AM
What made you get into this career? How did you get your training?
My story...
I got into this field because of the Military. Since I was a kid I wanted to join the Military. After a few obstacles I was finally able to join in 2003. I enlisted in the Indiana Air National Guard. Since I was color blind my career options were limited. I had two choices, Supply or Pest Management. I chose Pest Management only because it was a "critical" career field which allowed me to join as an E-3. I got my initial training in Texas where I obtained my Apprenticeship. Also completed an Apprenticeship for Exterminator, Termite under the Department of Labor. Then in 2006 I received my Journeyman Level and became a Certified DOD Applicator. In 2009 I obtained my Craftsman Level and became the PCOIC. My training was geared more for the PCO stuff, but we did some LCO stuff as well. I've done this work all over the US and even Iraq, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia. I started my own business while in Indiana, "Simpson's Pest Control & Lawn Maintenance," but then relocated to Alaska and renamed the business, "Green with Envy Lawn & Landscape." It never really took off up there. This year I relocated again and currently work for a Lawn Care company in Florida. My goal is to gain some local knowledge and experience to get my State Certification. Maybe I'll try my own business again someday, but for now I'm happy letting someone else have that responsiblity. Not really sure why, but I love this work.

So what made you all get into this career? Mowing/Lawn Care.

Steve
10-03-2011, 02:54 PM
"Green with Envy Lawn & Landscape." It never really took off up there. This year I relocated again and currently work for a Lawn Care company in Florida.

What is your reflection on why you felt the business didnt take off in Alaska?

doug1980
10-03-2011, 05:46 PM
What is your reflection on why you felt the business didnt take off in Alaska?

Short season, lack of customer base, because of my full time job restrictions and not that many people care about their lawns up there.

Hedgemaster
10-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Location is a big factor.

when I started, I was concerned due to the talk of a "bad economy". (Yeah, right - ever see an empty restaurant on ANY night of the week?) I feared that there wouldn't be "room" for yet another lawn guy, but I think that the area I'm in is so populated that there is plenty of work to go around.
I see trucks of all shapes and sizes running around with mowers in back. I couldn't keep up with the calls, so I stopped advertising. Plenty of clients around here.