PDA

View Full Version : Gaining Knowledge

dph2100
09-30-2011, 09:49 AM
Hello Everyone,

My name is Dennis and I currently reside in upstate NY... My background is computers and chemistry but I'm currently unemployed and looking to buy a landscape business in Florida. This website is quite informative and everyone provides great insite. Any information is appreciated.
Keep up the good work!

D

Steve
09-30-2011, 08:51 PM
Welcome to our forum!

What is your view on why you want to make the move and then buy a business? Why not start one where you are at?

Do you know much about the area in FL you want to move too? Do you know the demographics of the customer base and the level of competition?

dph2100
09-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Actually I have been doing quite a bit of research... I know there is stiff competition in FL but there are also many reputable businesses available for sale. I will have to complete the "due diligence" and have my CPA go over the books on any aquisition that looks promising. I have been focusing on the east coast of FL - Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale.

NY isn't business friendly at all and being originally from the Boston area I have overstayed my welcome - lol.

I have lived down south in the past and look forward to returning running my own business and I feel a landscaping venture would suit my needs and is something I could excel at.

Steve
10-01-2011, 03:11 PM
What is your view on buying an existing business versus starting one from scratch?

dph2100
10-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Well providing I do my homework and investigate the company thoroughly acquiring an existing business would be the best route. Contracts and or customers are in place. Equipment already purchased and the name is out there.
Still there is a lot of work to be done... like getting in front of the customer and introduce myself and listen to their needs and what I can do to exceed their expectations.

In this economic climate I feel this is the best approach...

Your thoughts Steve?

Steve
10-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Well my first question would be why is this person selling their business and does that reason make sense to you? Also will they sign a non-compete contract?

dph2100
10-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Good points... I've investigated a few that were due to "health reasons" vs the "relocating" which would raise a few red flags and the non-compete is important but might not be relevant depending on the circumstances.

Steve
10-05-2011, 06:01 PM
It sounds like all of this is well thought out. Keep us posted on your updates into all this.

Others considering this path can learn a lot from your experience with it.