PDA

View Full Version : Red Tape

Steve
03-27-2007, 09:21 PM
This family was lucky they had the money to ride out the storm, but can you imagine buying some property and thinking you will be opening your dream garden center?

Then you run into so much red tape that it keeps you from opening your doors for 4 years? That is a long long time.

What is the worst red tape you ever ran into?

Perseverance cuts through red tape (http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/local/states/california/16951877.htm) - BECOMING A BUSINESS OWNER is one of the great American dreams. Many people relish the thought of becoming independent, being their own boss ** maybe finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow ** but the road to riches isn't as easy as starting a business and hosting a grand opening. Just ask Oakley's newest business owner, Nino Pompei.

Four years ago, Pompei decided it was time to open the business he and his mother had always dreamed of. They purchased a nice piece of land on Oakley's Main Street and set out to fulfill the permits and building requirements necessary to open a nursery. Finally, after four years of bureaucratic red tape and dealing with several different agencies, they were able to open Pompei Nursery last Friday.

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
03-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Sounds like a nightmare. Just have to wonder what the other side of the story was, did the guy make some mistakes or overlook something?

Anytime I've wanted to do something that required a permit from city government, I told them point blank that I don't want any surprises, nor do I like them, so tell me everything I need to know now. It sometimes took a awhile to get through it all, but I never did have any surprises.

Steve
03-28-2007, 02:44 PM
That is very true. A little investigation could have probably shed light on this before anything was started. But I think all too often, new business owners don't investigate things and instead, they run with this idea.

"I want to build this here." They buy the property and expect it all just to happen. I think it kills a lot of businesses.

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
03-28-2007, 05:54 PM
The first thing I thought of was zoning. That is always a sore point. Can't forget permitting, licensing, and most important, money.