PDA

View Full Version : Co-Owner

CHEESE2009
09-20-2011, 12:58 AM
So, I am now co-owner.

My tasks include the labor, while "Lewis" is in charge of reminding clients by email of payments due. Also, responding to any incoming emails.

Lewis takes the heat, while I get to be the nice guy who doesn't agree with Lewis's methods most of the time :D , however, whatever Lewis says needs to be done, must be done!

The unfortunate thing is, Lewis is just an email account.

http://www.famousquotes.com/images/authors/albert_einstein.jpg
pictured above: me

Example;

Thank you for notifying us of the situation.

From what I can see, your property has not shown up on any of our previous
monthly printed schedules, excluding the month of May which is when we
have received a payment total of $xx.xx.

In order to show up on our monthly schedule, it is always best practice to
pay ahead of the month(s) in which you require service as our system will
not recognize you as a client otherwise.

We accept many methods of payment, PayPal included; www.website.ca

-

I am unaware if there has been any agreement between yourself and Scott, I
just know that it is forbidden for myself and others within this company
to provide service that has not been paid for.

I am truly sorry for the inconvenience, I assure you that we will be able
to resolve this issue. Thank you for your patience.

*Scott will be notified immediately once he has returned. For any other
inquiries, please feel free to email me at lewis@breezelawnservice.ca

Lewis Young
Office Management

bruces
09-20-2011, 09:09 AM
I like the general idea ,but whats going to happen when a homeowner tries to actually talk to this chickensh1t lewis guy and he doesnt exhist ? it just seems like it could blow up in somebodies face one day .Why not hire an account manager person to handle billing ,payment and customer issues ? you might even find one named Lewis .

Sprinkler Buddy
09-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Clever but unethical way to do business in my opinion.

CHEESE2009
09-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Well I have a two friends with two separate businesses who do the same thing.

I figured that it would be interesting to try out, from those who have done it - apparently it makes it easier to tackle most situations. You don't have to be the nice guy all the time, you can finally be blunt and get the point across without being the main target. It's interesting.

I'm improvising, trying new things to see what would be beneficial to a lot of us. It's worth every cent so far... *cough* it's free.

You may not all have the same clients as myself, though for those who are just as unlucky, I will let you know how this goes.

Email responce;

Dear Mr. Young,

Thanks for your response. I always pay in advance, but the last time I was in a hurry to leave for an appointment and left without notifying Scott. I took for granted that he would come back to collect it, but unfortunately it didn't happen.

Anyhow we like Scott`s service very much and therefore we continued to delay having someone else to do our lawn. We hope to see him real soon.

Anything wrong with the results? Nah!

Sprinkler Buddy
09-20-2011, 12:34 PM
You may not all have the same clients as myself, though for those who are just as unlucky, I will let you know how this goes.

I think we all have those clients. LOL Wish I could say I didn't.

Ducke
09-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Clever but unethical way to do business in my opinion.

I don't know if its "unethical"
It no different then having a USA phone # and Mailing Address but having your Help line in India.
or
Buying all the parts of a product from China and assembling in the the USA and saying its "Proudly Made in the USA."

I think it a great way to free up his time and his phobia of the Phone.
How many guys have their Wife/Girlfriend on the pay roll as Office Manager because she type a letter know and then.

element009
09-20-2011, 08:58 PM
I think it's cool. If you ever get in a real bind and people are trying to contact Lewis, just say you had to let him go due to his aggressive tactics.

Sprinkler Buddy
09-20-2011, 09:36 PM
It no different then having a USA phone # and Mailing Address but having your Help line in India.
or
Buying all the parts of a product from China and assembling in the the USA and saying its "Proudly Made in the USA."

I think it a great way to free up his time and his phobia of the Phone.
How many guys have their Wife/Girlfriend on the pay roll as Office Manager because she type a letter know and then.

I think those examples are unethical as well but your right many do it anyways, still doesn't make it right in my book. More power to anyone that wants to, I wouldn't.

CHEESE2009
09-20-2011, 10:16 PM
I think those examples are unethical as well but your right many do it anyways, still doesn't make it right in my book. More power to anyone that wants to, I wouldn't.

I can understand why you would think that, and sure I could agree with what you are saying to some extent.

It's a minor dilemma. It's like telling a white lie, only to make things better for everyone involved. If it's not harming anybody, and I have good intentions - it's worth a shot.

The person alongside me, regardless if fictional - they can break the bad news, and I can sleep well at night. This also allows me to correct "Lewis" if his idea had gone sour - I can always come in and make things right again without seeming crazy.

Anyway, Lewis says hi...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2KcYSQZCY4s/Tjkt_63600I/AAAAAAAACto/T4yHyZYZgEE/s400/frankenstein2.jpg
pictured above: the process of creating staff

The Cleaning Doctor
09-20-2011, 10:47 PM
It can't be a lie if it is your other personality. :D

Sprinkler Buddy
09-21-2011, 01:59 PM
It can't be a lie if it is your other personality. :D

That is true, I like that. LOL

Steve
09-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Scott,

As I read this, I thought it was awesome and creative.

Well I have a two friends with two separate businesses who do the same thing.

How do they feel doing this has helped them so far?

Also, any updates on how you feel it is working for you?

CHEESE2009
09-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Scott,

As I read this, I thought it was awesome and creative.

How do they feel doing this has helped them so far?

Also, any updates on how you feel it is working for you?

Well my friends use this tactic to take direct pressure off of themselves.

It's like email forwarding. Certain messages go elsewhere for better organization.

Requests? bob@companyname.com

Complaint? dick@companyname.com

I can see how it would make ones life easier.

Also, it gives you more time to solve an issue.
"Bob receives a lot of email at this time of year, he will let me know what we can do for you as soon as possible. Thank you for being patient."

or, when you are put on the spot you can say;

"I will let Bob know of your request, and I will get back to you shortly."

later...

"For a total of $100, Bob said we will be able to do this work for you".

^ this method makes the client become less aggressive with YOU. You give him/her no one present to argue with or try to cheat.

"I'm sorry, I can't do the work unless you pay the price Bob has set"

Fisher
09-21-2011, 10:09 PM
I do not use any false names for phone, email or otherwise. Though if I did I would use an alter ego kind of like a writer would have a pen name. I've worked with guys before that I would give them two different names for myself once they've had to ask my name for a second time. I would usually use Bob as a name and eventually it would turn out that they liked Bob better. Bob was the one that could empathize with them and was more laid back. Where I'm always about what needs to be done how, and when and properly.

Currently I seldom leave reference to any other name unless it's someone I'm having to come and use their crew to help with a job. However, I do nearly always use the term WE as to leave the impression that I'm not alone in evaluating and determining reasonable bid or contract agreement.

I am just now considering using my wife as a partner in this sense as she's the closest thing I have to a partner and outside of work tends to think she's the decision maker anyhow.

Sprinkler Buddy
09-22-2011, 12:44 PM
I do not use any false names for phone, email or otherwise. Though if I did I would use an alter ego kind of like a writer would have a pen name. I've worked with guys before that I would give them two different names for myself once they've had to ask my name for a second time. I would usually use Bob as a name and eventually it would turn out that they liked Bob better. Bob was the one that could empathize with them and was more laid back. Where I'm always about what needs to be done how, and when and properly.

Currently I seldom leave reference to any other name unless it's someone I'm having to come and use their crew to help with a job. However, I do nearly always use the term WE as to leave the impression that I'm not alone in evaluating and determining reasonable bid or contract agreement.

I am just now considering using my wife as a partner in this sense as she's the closest thing I have to a partner and outside of work tends to think she's the decision maker anyhow.

Our wives would get along great! LOL

psparaco
10-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Never thought to use a fictional character. I tell people how it is. Either they agree or disagree. Can't please everyone. 9 out of 10 times the issue is resolved and everyone is happy. I do sleeep fine at night. I dont stress someone complaining about stupid crap. MY grass wasnt cut short enough is a famous one i get alot. I tell em.... you want it shorter, Hire the kid down the street to scalp it for you. I do not scalp. Its not healthy for the lawn. Explain the consequences of scalping and they usually listen and realize i know what i am talking about. If I used an alter ego. His name would be skeletor, afterall, thats my call sign on Unreal tournament 2004 and 99 computer games.

fool, you are no longer my equal, I am more than man, more than life... I am a GOD! By the power of greyskull lol.

CHEESE2009
10-04-2011, 02:08 PM
fool, you are no longer my equal, I am more than man, more than life... I am a GOD! By the power of greyskull lol.

I want that on my business card!!!

Scott: I don't offer bi-weekly cuts

Client: But my lawn doesn't grow at all, I assure you.

Scott: It might not be growing a lot now, but I know it's going to later on.

Client: It doesn't, trust me.

Scott: *rolls eyes* Ok.

****-

Problems;

She calls constantly because her grass grows way too fast.

Her lawn always looks horrible because we're cutting long grass short.

She sounds like Micky Mouse.

All my clients tend to argue with me, no matter what. My town is full of people like this lol.

Dragger
10-05-2011, 08:51 AM

you mean your supposed to pay the wife??
I just tell her ...Type this so I can get paid or you gonna have to put gas in the truck next week

JeffK26
10-05-2011, 02:56 PM
A white lie is still a lie, if it wasn't it would be called a white truth.

I agree with Sprinkler Buddy, it's unethical.

The question was asked "if it's not hurting anyone, who cares?".... If someone finds out about this, and it's not that big of a stretch for someone to find out, then your credibility as a business owner is shot to hell. All of a sudden it's what else has he lied about? Is he charging for things he doesn't do?...etc. etc.

Customers give us money for our services. Based on that they deserve a good job for that money, and to be treated with respect by an honest company.

Ducke
10-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Scott: I don't offer bi-weekly cuts

Client: But my lawn doesn't grow at all, I assure you.

Scott: It might not be growing a lot now, but I know it's going to later on.

Client: It doesn't, trust me.

Scott: You Fool, you are no longer my equal,
I am more than man, more than life...
I am a GOD! By the power of Gopher Haul............

http://www.iphonegamesfreedownload.com/uploads/allimg/110430/10395S562-0_lit.jpg

CHEESE2009
10-05-2011, 05:21 PM
scott: I Don't Offer Bi-weekly Cuts

Client: But My Lawn Doesn't Grow At All, I Assure You.

Scott: It Might Not Be Growing A Lot Now, But I Know It's Going To Later On.

Client: It Doesn't, Trust Me.

Scott: You Fool, You Are No Longer My Equal,
I Am More Than Man, More Than Life...
I Am A God! By The Power Of Gopher Haul............

http://www.iphonegamesfreedownload.com/uploads/allimg/110430/10395s562-0_lit.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhhahahahahaha!!! Yessssssss!!!!!!

I need some sort of cape to wear around, lmao.

Steve
10-17-2011, 06:57 PM
It's been a couple of weeks and I wanted to check in and see how this is all working out. Are you still doing this? Is it still helpful?