PDA

View Full Version : Helping others

hansenslawncare
09-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Middle of March, 2011, I advertised my lawn service on craigslist. A local company owner, Bryan Ring "Ring Lawn Care" noticed the ad on craigslist and decided to help a guy out. Basically Bryan Ring doubled my mowing list within a short amount of time and gave me numerous tips that encompassed a lot of the lawn care business. Anyways, its good to know there are still people in this world that are willing to lend a hand and do a good deed. Thanks Bryan.

By the way, if you want to visit his website, it's ringlawncare.com

Thanks for reading,

Rich
hansenslawncare.com

Hedgemaster
09-15-2011, 10:11 PM
That's great!

I don't run into many guys while I'm working, but one fellow I spoke to was nice enough to spend about twenty minutes talking "business and equipment" with me. He had been doing this for years and had a lot of useful info to share.

Steve
09-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Hi Rich,

That is great!

For those just getting started, could you share some of the tips you learned from him?

CHEESE2009
09-16-2011, 06:48 PM
What I noticed, is competitors are always willing to give up a few of their potential clients, or clients if they aren't interested in them.

Many will have very poor lawns, or the client will just be unbearable. These clients can be considered "Scrap" from the competitor. Never is it "excess".

These clients might be out of their service area, or the competitor doesn't focus on residential properties... That's the plus side for you!

As for temporarily teaming up with a competitor, it's a nice change.

Pros: Lawns are faster to do.

Cons:

Days are longer by a hair, not bad

You might have to do more of their lawns, then they do of yours

You might do better work than your competitor, and they get the praise for it when you do their lawns. Basically, you make their company look better than ever, and in return they make your properties look less than standard.

On the topic, it's very nice to have allies. On several streets, there will be 4 or more companies working side by side on different properties. Parking is a P.I.T.A, but it's nice that we all get a long and have some communication. It's actually really funny, we usually park one after another - it's a cool sight to see! (I'm serious about my area being full of competition).

Steve
09-19-2011, 11:03 PM
What I noticed, is competitors are always willing to give up a few of their potential clients, or clients if they aren't interested in them. Many will have very poor lawns, or the client will just be unbearable.

Do you find this is helpful or do you feel this could be viewed as trying to sabotage a competitor?

CHEESE2009
09-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Do you find this is helpful or do you feel this could be viewed as trying to sabotage a competitor?

It's debatable, everyone is an individual with different personality traits, and finances. Not to mention, we all have our own peeves that we might not have in common with a competitor.

also,

I do believe that running a business is like attracting/seducing others into choosing you. Depending on how you are, you might attract a different crowd.

This is just a theory, though it should be looked at. Any opinions?