PDA

View Full Version : Potential customer issue.

pblawncare
09-14-2011, 08:51 PM
So this to me seems like a rookie mistake on levels, but then again a misunderstanding as well...

Cutting brush and saplings out earlier today, in the midst of cleaning off a VERY neglected area, I cut out a pine tree that was bordered out by some old timbers that were shot, (as i said, neglected) the owner and I had talked and to my understanding, it was to come out. I got an email a while later from the daughter (her mother is the owner and apparently out of town) and was rather surprised that the pine was gone, and informed me it had been planted there years before and was uncertain if we made the right move by cutting it out.

There is no contract or agreement as to what stays and what goes, its part of her regular maintenance that we clean up some of the eye sores (takes about 2 minutes to mow her yard, 5 to trim) we had talked about doing alot of things, and honestly I'm convinced in my mind it was meant to go, if not I wouldn't have cut it out.

My main thing is should I offer to replace the tree, or should I come up with a design idea to liven the whole place up, making the tree a necessity to go. It may not be an issue, but for some reason I got that feeling I've got a fire getting ready to stir.

Hedgemaster
09-14-2011, 10:26 PM
"Here, tie this ribbon on anything that you do NOT want to be removed." = Sleep better at night.

;)

CHEESE2009
09-14-2011, 11:27 PM
When a spot isn't maintained, it's hard to pick and choose what comes out. At least she can have a fresh start now, and be grateful.

In truth, I would have done the same, probably without giving a crap about the plant.

You are in lawn maintenance, she requested for you to remove "crap", you did what you could to help a client out. If she didn't want the plant removed, she should have walked you through the spot and show you what to do.

You can sort of slip the blame on her like so;

"Darn, if only you had the time to walk me through it I would have known." etc... :rolleyes:

or just say;

"It looked like crap. I want to make your yard beautiful, just trust me. When I get the grass growing, then we can see about planting something. Until then, that little tree wasn't growing properly as it wasn't pruned often enough. Your yard has to look better than your neighbors, and so far we're off to a good start!":D

Steve
09-15-2011, 11:13 AM
That is certainly an interesting situation!

I'd love to have seen a before and after of that.

or should I come up with a design idea to liven the whole place up, making the tree a necessity to go. It may not be an issue, but for some reason I got that feeling I've got a fire getting ready to stir.

If it's not any further of an issue, maybe then just drop it.

If it becomes a bigger issue, my vote is to go with the design that doesn't include the tree in it.

Keep us posted.

Sprinkler Buddy
09-15-2011, 02:13 PM
What's done is done, I hate it when I do something like that. If it becomes an issue, offering to replace it would be the right thing to do. I'm sure you will learn from this mishap, I know I have from similar situations.

Steve
09-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Keep us posted on how this ultimately works out. And also now that you have gone through it, would you have done anything differently if you could redo it?

pblawncare
09-17-2011, 08:39 AM
I'm ultimately not going to lose sleep over the situation. Simply put, I've called and left a message (no answer) apologizing, and assuring the customer that we want to provide a solution, whether it be replacing the tree, or coming up with something ultimately better than what she has. They claim it was expensive but you all know, that whats expensive to them, is an everyday price to us. I've not heard back from the customer yet, but I'll let it ride a day or two more before I call again.

picframer
09-17-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm ultimately not going to lose sleep over the situation. Simply put, I've called and left a message (no answer) apologizing, and assuring the customer that we want to provide a solution, whether it be replacing the tree, or coming up with something ultimately better than what she has. They claim it was expensive but you all know, that whats expensive to them, is an everyday price to us. I've not heard back from the customer yet, but I'll let it ride a day or two more before I call again.

IMHO, pay her a visit

pblawncare
09-18-2011, 09:01 AM
I agree. Shes not scheduled for regular maintenance for another week, that gives me time to get my plan of attack on the new landscape design. I think it will smooth over well. (hope anyway) if she can't look past a mistake, then future business wouldn't work anyway, my goal is to expand to where I can have crews working for me, I don't want to be in the field forever.