PDA

View Full Version : Poll & Discussion #001

CHEESE2009
09-14-2011, 03:28 PM
While running a lawn maintenance business, during which month have you received the majority of your clients, excluding the clients you have obtained during previous seasons?

a) March
b) April
c) May
d) June
e) July
f) August
g) September
h) October
i) November

shadrach
09-14-2011, 05:34 PM
2nd half of July/1st half of August

CHEESE2009
09-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Wow, already we can tell that people are more interested in lawn maintenance mid season.

I can't wait to see even more results!

For those just starting out, there is really nothing to worry about! We will have some statistic to prove it soon! :D

Hedgemaster
09-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Since this is my first full season I can't say with any real accuracy.
My first thought was "May", but to be honest, I stopped advertising months ago because I was getting so many calls and couldn't keep up (initially).

That said, I am STILL getting calls and it's mid September. I literally got off the phone with someone minutes before posting this - she's looking for weekly mowing service. I handed out cards to TWO people today that asked about mowing, and over the last week or so, I've had about three new inquiries regarding lawn service from people who have seen me out working.

I never imagined that so many people would "still" be looking for a lawn service this late in the season. I guess there could be many factors that could prompt someone to seek a service this time of the year...
(a) Selling home - need it maintained
(b) "The other guy isn't working out". :D
(c) Injury
(d) Just plain friggin tired of mowing the lawn
(e) Your current clients suggested YOU to a friend
(f) The list goes on and on...

picframer
09-15-2011, 04:49 AM
Generally late July early August, customers were frustrated with their current supplier, had issues the current supplier could not address, poor service, tired of doing it themselves and the list goes on.

I seemed to come out of the gate in May every year with more than we needed as we offered a host of services and it just kept going however by late July it was barely manageable when it came to inquiries.

justin_time
09-15-2011, 08:17 AM
May is when I start my season and for some reason June is the busiest time for me of the year. My numbers doubles for June then go back down to similar numbers as May for July

element009
09-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Without much effort, I got most of my clients in October/November of last year. I put out a sign on a main road advertising Leaf Clean-ups. Lo and behold, I received more calls than I could handle as a one man operation. I got a lot of clients starting with leaf clean-ups last year who became weekly maintenance clients for this season.

CHEESE2009
09-15-2011, 11:01 PM
I'm with Justin on this one.

After I gather the clients I've had during previous seasons, June seems to be the month where people actually start hiring us for lawn maintenance.

I suppose May is where homeowners try to do the work themselves, but then figure it's too much to do when the painfully warm month of June comes along. It's also a point where people are just getting over spring, and lifestyles have actually changed.

We need more results, keep the poll going!

justin_time
09-16-2011, 08:15 AM
I'm with Justin on this one.

After I gather the clients I've had during previous seasons, June seems to be the month where people actually start hiring us for lawn maintenance.

I suppose May is where homeowners try to do the work themselves, but then figure it's too much to do when the painfully warm month of June comes along. It's also a point where people are just getting over spring, and lifestyles have actually changed.

We need more results, keep the poll going!

Yeah, I have alot of people that come from out of town and that's when they start coming up to their cottage and get stuff done when the grass is 1 feet high and things like that

Growing Green
09-16-2011, 09:07 AM

When you say painful warm what degree are you talking about? I'm sure I'll be jealous of your weather. :-) We have had 83 days of over 100 degrees this year and less than 5 inches of rain all year.

Matt

CHEESE2009
09-16-2011, 06:31 PM
When you say painful warm what degree are you talking about? I'm sure I'll be jealous of your weather. :-) We have had 83 days of over 100 degrees this year and less than 5 inches of rain all year.

Matt

Our weather was about the same give or take for certain periods of time, but we've for sure had our share (and yours apparently) of rain.

Average temperature was probably 86F...

It's actually getting extremely cold right now. Right after one of the lawn mowers broke (once a month thing), my guy and me had to go pick up our sweaters. :eek:

mlm
10-04-2011, 07:41 PM
I started the business in May I spent a lot of money on newspaper ads, ect... flyers, road signs, signs on my truck & trailer the most calls came in the month of June, July.but still not enough accounts to support.There are a handfull of landscapers/lawn maintenance companies & they seem to have the market in the area.They really don't do a complete job like weed wack or blow off sidewalks or driveway clumps of grass everywhere but still they get calls. I live upstate NY. Does anyone have suggestions on what to do.

Steve
10-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Does anyone have suggestions on what to do.

I think just talking to more people and handing out more business cards and asking for referrals from your current customers should keep you pretty busy.

cruzgardening
10-06-2011, 02:56 AM
what if you get about the same amout for all your months? since i started i been getting about 2-3 new accounts a month