PDA

View Full Version : Wearing a headset/Headphones - Wrong?

mschlotter
09-11-2011, 09:03 AM
What have been your experiences lisinting to music while cutting grass?
For me I focus better. However, to a client it may look like you don't care.

Sprinkler Buddy
09-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Head phones are a big NO NO in my book. I don't think the customer cares either way but it prevents you from hearing warning signs "noises" from your mower that tells you something is about to fail, such as bearings, etc... Also car horns, the customer, a neighbor, etc... which all could lead to a disaster because you wanted to listen to some tunes. Just not worth the risk to me!

wandfsmall
09-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Head phones are a big NO NO in my book. I don't think the customer cares either way but it prevents you from hearing warning signs "noises" from your mower that tells you something is about to fail, such as bearings, etc... Also car horns, the customer, a neighbor, etc... which all could lead to a disaster because you wanted to listen to some tunes. Just not worth the risk to me!

I somewhat disagree, you should listen to your mower every so often(at least once a day) but hearing protection is also important. At least get some hearing protection that you can listen to music on not just ear buds that you turn up way to loud.

Sprinkler Buddy
09-11-2011, 12:43 PM
I somewhat disagree, you should listen to your mower every so often(at least once a day) but hearing protection is also important. At least get some hearing protection that you can listen to music on not just ear buds that you turn up way to loud.

I wasn't suggesting that one shouldn't wear or use hearing protection. Head phones are Not hearing protection. I always do use and recommend hearing protection. Hearing protection doesn't block one from hearing as do head phones listening to music do. One is only fooling themselves if they think music head phones are a good substitute for hearing protection. I believe.

CHEESE2009
09-11-2011, 11:03 PM
In my opinion, I think they look swell! It looks as though it's a part of the uniform.

You can still hear the equipment noise, and how it changes even when blasting music. Even so, if a client has a comment or question, they usually stand on a porch and wave their hands around. 90% of the time the client just wants waste your time....

I actually do find that it helps me concentrate on my work more, and it also helps me get through the day. We wake up and shower only to get dirty, why do we need to also make our ears bleed? LOL. We deserve to enjoy our jobs, it means more productivity.

Do a test, hire someone and after a few weeks of them being able to not make mistakes - throw them a pair of headphones. They will think their job is a walk in the park!

Steve
09-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Has anyone ever had headphones on and been caught off guard because they didn't hear something?

For instance, how many times have you seen someone with a back pack blower and headphones on, backing out into a street with total disregard for their safety and thinking others will see them, so they will be safe.

CHEESE2009
09-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Has anyone ever had headphones on and been caught off guard because they didn't hear something?

For instance, how many times have you seen someone with a back pack blower and headphones on, backing out into a street with total disregard for their safety and thinking others will see them, so they will be safe.

I do that even without headphones, LOL!

With headphones = can't hear (Hurray!)
Without headphones = can only hear the mower (booo!)

There isn't much of a difference!

I like to have a reason to ignore my clients, they tend to hover over their porch but I just wait until I get a fair amount of work done before I bother with them... No one likes to start and stop their equipment for petty reasons like "Hello, how are you"... Save the chit chat for when I'm done!

roysyardandhaul
09-13-2011, 01:07 AM
I do that even without headphones, LOL!

With headphones = can't hear (Hurray!)
Without headphones = can only hear the mower (booo!)

There isn't much of a difference!

I like to have a reason to ignore my clients, they tend to hover over their porch but I just wait until I get a fair amount of work done before I bother with them... No one likes to start and stop their equipment for petty reasons like "Hello, how are you"... Save the chit chat for when I'm done!

I agree I have some clients that I prefer not to talk to - However stopping your equmipment tells them that they are the reason that your there and increses retention. But for my talkers I just keep right on working as their yappin at me I just keep noddin my head and sayin yep - un huh and no kidding. lol

element009
09-14-2011, 09:46 AM
I usually have earbuds in, and then I put my earmuffs over them to block out the outside noise. This means I can listen to music clearly without having it at full blast. As Cheese said, you can still hear, or actually feel, the changes in your machine while doing this. Plus there's the silence in between songs as well. And there's always the pause button if you suspect something might be off with the machine.

In terms of the things around you, I feel like whether one is listening to music or not, it is very difficult to hear anything over the machines. It's best to compensate with your eyes while working. I am constantly glancing in all directions when I work. One time when I first started I was inches away from getting smashed by a car while using the blower (not even listening to music when this happened). Since then I haven't had any close calls because I've been extra observant.

For me, the music is necessary. It gets me through the day for sure.

CHEESE2009
09-14-2011, 05:16 PM
I wish I could have glasses that let me watch T.V while I work....

We'd all agree that it's not the best idea, yet we'd all own a pair :D

If they could make a headset, where you are able to communicate with your staff while working, and WITHOUT the sound of the equipment - THAT would be an awesome purchase.

"This is FancyPants, requesting for EagleBalls to trim around the fence-line, over!"

"Copy that FancyPants, approaching your 6 and ready to unleash the beast, over!"

We are "P.O.W" if our clients stop to talk to us....

Ducke
09-14-2011, 07:31 PM
I have a set of AM/FM ear muffs I got at a NASCAR race.
I don't wear them all the time but there is certain jobs that I do.
Like today I trimmed a 200 ft hedge it took me 3 hours.
I wore my ear muffs the trimmer would have driven me nuts.
Its not good to be expose to these sound all the time but
I do not agree on Ipods and ear buds and having tunes cranked up so loud the neighbours hear it over your trimmer.
I mostly listen to talk radio and I only have it on low so that I can be aware of whats going on around me.