PDA

View Full Version : Tree Service

Yard Elements
09-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Did my second tree job today. I have experience just haven't offered the service. Fell one tree. Limbed 7. The first job I fell from the tree about ten feet up. LOL Bahahah. Knocked the wind out of me. I was more careful this time. Only about 30 feet up today.

I bought an echo saw (brand new) and have had to adjust the carb twice. It's a very small light climbing saw with the Ring on it for climbing with a lanyard anyone have any experience with these saws or should I go to a tree care forum. :)

Steve
09-12-2011, 02:27 PM
The first job I fell from the tree about ten feet up.

Ouch! How did that happen?

What are you feeling now about offering tree service?

Yard Elements
09-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Properly Trained I can charge 120.00 Per Hr. instead of 60 :)

Steve
09-15-2011, 11:20 AM
What other steps do you feel you have to take to get to that point?

Yard Elements
09-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Today I took a Tree Climbing Seminar, There is a lot to learn i will start slow and low. I have felling experience already. I am going to get a basic rope climbing set and start climbing low and practice. I have a property i am going to fell some trees by climbing them this winter. Open field and home owners will be out of state. I manage this 10 acre estate. Lots of work ahead any advice besides don't fall. :)

Hedgemaster
09-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Make sure your insurance covers your new venture.

Mine allows tree cutting with the only stipulation being that I'm not permitted to be more than 20' up. Works for me, 'cuz I hates heights!
:D

Martywdx
09-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Sounds like an investment in a safety rope/harness is in order

picframer
09-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Aside from a quality light saw, the best advice I can offer is taking a helper, one would be shocked at how you can climb a tree, go up 20 to 30 feet and tie a rope, have a helper on the ground at the end of a long rope, no matter what direction the tree might want to fall naturally, a helper can guide almost any tree within reason to any direction you want.

A mistake I have made a few times which has cost me a couple of saws is not ensuring the loop on the saw is latched when you put your saw back in the harness.

When falling big guys, I quite often lighten the load of the opposite side I want the tree to fall.

The times I got myself into trouble was after a crotch high up, watch these friggin things, I have been climbing up a limb after a crotch when the crotch started to let go.

Keep your boot spikes as sharp as possible, I touch them up after every job.

Steve
09-19-2011, 11:10 PM
The times I got myself into trouble was after a crotch high up, watch these friggin things, I have been climbing up a limb after a crotch when the crotch started to let go.

Was that because there was less strength to the tree at that point or was it another reason?

Yard Elements
10-10-2011, 05:11 PM
What is your checklist

Moki
11-12-2011, 09:32 AM
I just got a call last night to drop a 4 story high red cedar and clear it as well as several 1 story high fruit trees I am not set up to go high and have no interest in doing it anyway but I have a guy that does taller trees.

If there is a lot of room I will just drop it myself if not I am thinking of sub-contracting just the cedar out to to him to drop it (he is insured better than me) I can do the smaller ones myself.

I am curious what to charge for this service though...

T.j.'s landscaping 17
11-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Ive done many tree jobs and we climb with an echoe cs310

Steve
11-14-2011, 11:44 AM
I just got a call last night to drop a 4 story high red cedar and clear it as well as several 1 story high fruit trees

How long would it take you to remove the fruit trees? Could you then multiply it by your hourly wage and come up with a price for those?

For the larger tree removal you could do it multiple ways. Find someone you could sub-contract it to and ask them to bid on the job and then go with that price and write it up as a learning experience to see what the going rate is. Or as discussed in this blog article, this member charged $200 for removing tall trees that had to be climbed. Others on the forum might charge $125 an hour.

How much should I charge for a Tree Removal? (http://lawnchat.com/?p=159)

Let us know how this goes.

Moki
11-15-2011, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the link that is very good info...

Moki
11-15-2011, 05:50 PM
I've been thnking about this job and due to the close proximity of the houses/powerlines I decided to sub out falling the larger tree I'm loosing $200 - $300 by doing this but if anything went wrong it would cost me a lot more.

We'll be on the job this coming Thursday.

Steve
11-16-2011, 12:27 PM
I think it is better to be safe than sorry in such a situation and think this is a good call.

Do you think if you had to do it again, you would have bid it differently to take into account, sub-contracting it out? Was the problem that you didn't know how much they would charge to perform the job?

Moki
11-17-2011, 12:16 AM
Like I said only issue I had was the close proximity to the houses/power lines I felt it wasn't worth the risk so no I wouldn't at least for now have set it up any other way.

I told the faller last night on the phone that I was setting up a web site over the winter and asked if he would mind if I had it set up calling him our associate Tony will fall any tree and we will clean up after him.

He was more than happy to say yes = there is now a bonus happening I have everything arranged with Tony to meet me at the house tomorrow morning and in our conversation on the phone tonight he told me that he has a buddy in a townhouse complex that is looking for a grounds maintenance company to take over the grounds maintenance.

So I'll be getting the contact info from them from Tony in the morning.

I'm now starting to be concerned that I will only be working on complexes and not have time to make the real gravy monies on trimming/pruning/yard clean up etc etc... :D

Steve
11-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Would it be helpful to take some pictures of him up in the tree to put on your website too?

I'm now starting to be concerned that I will only be working on complexes and not have time to make the real gravy monies on trimming/pruning/yard clean up etc etc.

It will be interesting to see how you balance all this.

On the one side you have the bigger areas that take up a larger part of your work week and are consistent yet may pay less than the smaller jobs that may not be as consistent.

Moki
11-18-2011, 02:34 AM
Already have the pictures... :)

I'm thinking full time part time employees is the answer but only people that I know/trust and that I shouldn't over load myself with complex's until I am more etablished so I can make the bigger monies on the odd jobs like cleaning gutters.

I'm supposed to clean gutters on a house tomorrow after I do the quotes quoted with a 10% Seniors discount $250.00 it is a 3 year old house and th egutters are not that bad I should be done in 3 hours max.

There is a hold on it though it is snowing right now... :rolleyes:

Steve
11-18-2011, 02:42 PM
That is fantastic! How many feet are those gutters and what story are they on?

It seems those are good paying jobs!

Moki
11-19-2011, 09:03 AM
Thats the thing I can make $250.00 in 3 hours - $500.00 per day working by myself when I get the good jobs.

I have far more experiences with pressure washing than landscaping/tree removal/grass cutting/trimming so I know how long it will take me but I also learnt it has to do with the difficulty of the job.

I didn't estimate the footage of the gutters just looked at the difficulty and guesstimated the time it would take me the highest/longest gutter was 3 stories up I would have climbed 1/2 way up to it and just reached my extentention wand with the gutter attachments/jet up to the gutter and sprayed you get a bit wet doing it this way but it is way safer than climbing around on a roof.

Turns out that due to the snow the lady has decided to put off the cleaning until Feb = no gutter job for now but I picked up a new yard cleaning job that is as soon as the snow is gone which should be Monday or Tuesday.

Moki
11-19-2011, 09:45 AM
I have been using a 4'X8' utility trailer removing this red cedar and the 3 smaller trees took 3 trips to the green dump which wasted my time so I stopped by the local trailer sales yard yesterday.

I am now the proud owner of a used 6' X 12' single axle 3500lbs axle trailer had to change the lights and need to do the wheel bearings other than that it is good to go.

I need to design/build a tool box for the front, higher sides and possibly a high rack that I can put my ladders on but I can do that over the winter.

No more multiple trips to the green dump for me = I am going to start on these larger jobs to quote by the job not by the hour that way I can make the same but get in/out and onto the next job quicker.

Steve
11-21-2011, 01:01 PM
You are really hitting the ground running! This all sounds very exciting!

Moki
11-22-2011, 12:30 AM
If all of this comes together it will be good.

I even went and did a walk about with the strata council treasurer at a 110 townhouse/unit complex today that the faller told me about.

They used to have a live in grounds keeper but he couldn't keep up so they are now looking for a grounds maintenance company to do the work their budget is somewhere around $60,000 +.

:eek:

Need to get my old neighbour over to help me quote.

Steve
11-22-2011, 04:31 PM
How fantastic! You are so keying in on important points. Utilizing your contacts to find more jobs! WOW.

I can't wait to hear how this next bid goes!