PDA

View Full Version : Do you have medical insurance?

Steve
09-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Do you have medical insurance?

Sprinkler Buddy
09-10-2011, 05:32 PM
I do, from the military, all you have to do is get shot through both arms with a M-16. Best thing that ever happened to me. lol I don't know how I could be self employed if it weren't for that. What one has to pay for good medical insurance these days is ridiculous!

So enlist, get shot, and you'll have it! I'm kidding! Getting shot, I wouldn't want to be again. I cringe every time a riffle goes off and it has made me a bow hunter only. lol I'm not kidding! (Semper-Fi)

mark123
09-10-2011, 07:51 PM
I think insurance is one of the biggest scams in history. You pay more than you should and then when it comes time to use it they deny your claim or limit it to make it not worth having. Scam.

Liberty Landscaping LLC
09-10-2011, 10:27 PM
I have it through my Full Time job. Not leaving till I retire at 51 unless NJ takes that away from me which I am sure is coming sometime soon....

Hedgemaster
09-11-2011, 12:46 AM
I think insurance is one of the biggest scams in history. You pay more than you should and then when it comes time to use it they deny your claim or limit it to make it not worth having. Scam.

Sounds familiar.
The hospitals aren't much better. Don't forget about all the bills they send you for things that they have already received payment for from the insurance company, or for things that you clearly have no obligation to pay.
Stop and think for a second about how much money they make from people PAYING a bill they do not owe. It gets complicated, and many people see "Amount Due" and assume that they must owe it. They wouldn't have a bill otherwise, right? It's downright disgusting.

My wife had disc surgery on her neck - AUTHORIZED by the insurance company, I might add. Several months later they sent her a big old nastygram stating that after further review, they were reversing their decision, and she was now responsible for full payment of the surgery, hospital stay, pre-op visits, etc.
It took MONTHS of back and forth and all sorts of headaches to get it straightened out.

And to answer the question, "no".
I have no health coverage. There's a reason I don't do tree/gutter work.

I had a call from a guy asking if I was interested in helping him do some remodeling.
"You're insured, right - in case you step on a nail, or fall off a ladder?" I told him I was not. "Well, it says on your card "Fully Insured".
I corrected him in that it simply says "Insured". "I am insured - I carry liability insurance as required by law". He then asked what happens if I get hurt. "Well, I'm pretty much screwed", I replied.

mark123
09-11-2011, 06:55 AM
Yes, I carry the mandated insurance which includes commercial vehicle insurance and business liability insurance. They are just pieces of paper that allow me to drive legally and keep my pesticide application license, respectively. That's the problem, they are mandatory as defined by the state.

As opposed to health insurance, auto and business liability are, however, actually affordable. It's still throwing money away though.

Steve
09-12-2011, 01:34 PM
I think this is one very important point that shows how difficult it can be to get a business started.

When you want to get your business going, there seems to be a lot of things that you just gotta say screw it, I am doing this and that is that.

I think there are many newer entrepreneurs who can't believe how much of a battle it can be to get started and that there should be an easier way. But the reality of it seems there are a lot more risks to get started than meets the eye initially.

What's your view on this?

Sprinkler Buddy
09-12-2011, 03:41 PM
If we all played by the book, it would make our pricing a lot more similar as a whole. Most don't realize what it really cost to be a legitimate business unless they are, like myself, with the proper insurances, etc... It's easy to make good money when you don't have all those required polices. lol I sleep good knowing it's putting me in the poor house by following the law.:D

Sabina Lawn Care
09-12-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm trying to get ALL my ducks in a row..... tough trying to figure out how much you need to allow yearly for ins.... taxes and such..

Steve
09-15-2011, 10:09 AM
How is that coming along so far? Have any parts been more difficult to investigate than others?

Sabina Lawn Care
09-20-2011, 07:21 PM
It's a lot to take in,,,, that's for sure.... I did learn that if I join my chamber of commerce ($180.00/yr) they offer some sort of discounted health insurance for small business. Don't have many details as of yet though..

Snyder's Lawn Serv.Inc
09-20-2011, 11:57 PM
I think this is one very important point that shows how difficult it can be to get a business started.

When you want to get your business going, there seems to be a lot of things that you just gotta say screw it, I am doing this and that is that.

I think there are many newer entrepreneurs who can't believe how much of a battle it can be to get started and that there should be an easier way. But the reality of it seems there are a lot more risks to get started than meets the eye initially.

What's your view on this?

Im my area there 2 LCO carry worksman comp out of 18 LCO
What I dont like is most them does Commercial jobs
If I have pay for it then any company that I hire should pay for it Right
Some Business around here stop asking for it so that drove the mowing prices down
Wish they make a state law If you have a Business you have to have it
Or if have a business and you hire out You have ask for it
Everybody tells me my price on mowing is high tell them if you have pay what I do Yours will be high to
But around here I do have goverment, School, City, Big factory Jobs You have to have it to bid on them jobs So I that market to make money in

mark123
09-21-2011, 06:34 AM
... Wish they make a state law If you have a Business you have to have it ...
I have to disagree. There are already too many taxes and laws prohibiting job creation. We don't need more.

element009
09-21-2011, 08:54 AM
I have no health insurance. In the future, I'm more likely to get on my girlfriend's (a teacher) health insurance rather than buy my own.