PDA

View Full Version : New to Landscaping

O.C LawnCare
09-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and I really need some advice! Right now I'm 14 years old, and I have about 5 lawns that I mow on a weekly basis. I started my business in 2010 and it seems that I'm stuck at the 5 lawn marker and just can't get by it. I see some guys rollin around that are doing tripple what i do in a week, in a day. I'm sorta getting frustrated, I have tried advertising in the local paper, but every time someone calls and I bid the lawn I don't get the job. I am currently running an eXmark 48 inch metro walk behind, and although my stripes may not be as big as the other guys i feel like i should be able to atleast run 15 a week. Any advice on how I can really get moving next year? Thanks!

Steve
09-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Welcome to our forum!

but every time someone calls and I bid the lawn I don't get the job.

Can you give us a walk through of how you bid? What is your thought on why you are not getting the jobs? Do you ask why?

O.C LawnCare
09-10-2011, 01:53 PM
My main reason why I don't think I'm getting jobs is because of my age. People see a 14 YR old and they think that it's not going to be as good of a job than someone of older age. Basically when I bid a lawn, I take my dad, and we look over the lawn, i go by 20$ just to drop the gate of a trailer, I then ask if they want anything bagged because that jacks up the price, I estimate my time lets say a 65 min job, I would go about 40$, is that correct? Thanks

SECTLANDSCAPING
09-12-2011, 12:25 AM
My main reason why I don't think I'm getting jobs is because of my age. People see a 14 YR old and they think that it's not going to be as good of a job than someone of older age. Basically when I bid a lawn, I take my dad, and we look over the lawn, i go by 20$ just to drop the gate of a trailer, I then ask if they want anything bagged because that jacks up the price, I estimate my time lets say a 65 min job, I would go about 40$, is that correct? Thanks

$1 a minute would be closer to what pros charge.

You have a few things working against you. Your not insured! If you break a window who is going to fix it? In my state anyone under 16 cant operate a engine or even use a knife in a restaurant. So more liability! Remember your on their property and the last thing they want is being sued because you were hurt. A typical homeowner wants someone who can do it all. They might hire you for mowing but would want other services that they feel you cant provide. Other then that sales techniques could help specifically closing. I would just keep going at it persistence pays off. Dont lowball yourself, make sure you always make a profit. Eventually reputation will take over and sell the clients before you show up.

Steve
09-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Also, can you try and focus on neighbors right now and people that live close by? You might find it easier to win over people that know you at first and then you can scale outward and market to their neighbors and friends.

O.C LawnCare
09-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Okay thanks guys, I plan on next year getting a DBA and a fed tax id #. Thanks alot!