PDA

View Full Version : Being a millionaire just isn't the same these days

Steve
03-20-2007, 05:07 PM
How do you think being a millionaire would effect your work ethic? Would you kick back and relax more or would you still work just as hard?

Being a millionaire just isn't the same these days (http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/20/businessoflife.million.ap/index.html) - Renee Weese has reached an enviable goal ** she's become a millionaire. But like many others whose net worth has risen in recent years to seven figures, she doesn't feel particularly wealthy.

Not that long ago, the word "millionaire" conjured up visions of chauffeured limousines and extravagant shopping trips and elegant yachts. These days, a millionaire is more likely to be the guy or gal next door who saved carefully ** and perhaps benefited from the sharp run-up in housing prices ** but still worries about covering the exploding costs of children's educations, caring for aging parents and funding their own retirements.

According to research from Merrill Lynch & Co. and the consulting firm Capgemini, some 2.9 million people in the United States and Canada have net worths of $1 million.

AMW Graphics
03-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Those people in Canada...is that in canadian or USD?...lol

I wouldnt change much, still would work every day (i have 2 kids to put through school, buy cars, etc.).

The only thing i would do dif. is i would go on vacation a little longer. maybe a whole week...im lucky to get a weekend now...lol

PremierLand
03-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Im no millionaire, but honestly, a million dollars isnt uncommon. Especially out west.

Not only that, not to seem greedy or selfish, but one million isnt all that much when you think about it.
House - 250k around here with no maintenance and low crime
Car - 35k
College - 40k
Thing you will go and buy on a spree - 150k lol
if you have kids or a wife that million will be gone in NO TIME AT ALL!

One million certainly isnt enough to retire on, even 6 million I wouldnt retire.

Steve
03-21-2007, 11:56 AM
It is interesting isn't it? When you watch shows like Survivor or other shows that give away a million dollars, that could ultimately just pay for a house after taxes!

Remember Richard Hatch from the first season? He must not have thought the money went too far so he never paid taxes on it and is now sitting in jail! http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
03-21-2007, 12:42 PM
It would be nice to have that much money, but I would look at it as just a cushion, perhaps spending some of it for extra gear and a toy or two. Winter vacations would be on the honey do list for sure...