PDA

View Full Version : Finally! A Laptop for Business!!!

Hedgemaster
09-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Well, I guess I can no longer say that "I can't use the Gopher software!"
(because my home computer is a Mac)

Ta-DA!!!

Acer Aspire (http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/LX.RL802.022) laptop I just picked up for $349...

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Laptop%20for%20Business/IMAG2622.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Laptop%20for%20Business/IMAG2623.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Laptop%20for%20Business/IMAG2624.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Laptop%20for%20Business/IMAG2625.jpg

Two "firsts" for me - first PC (BLECH!) and first laptop.
I'm a Mac person. I don't understand PCs because as a graphic designer, I've always used Apple computers, and have nearly zero experience with the PC world. Unfortunately, Mac has priced themselves beyond what I consider "reasonable", and with so many software conflicts, I decided to bite the bullet and get a laptop that I can use solely for my business.

And yes, I got the "Accidental Damage from Handling" insurance - in case I run it over with my mower or something! LOL!

Now I just have to figure out how to hook it up and get it running. :o

Next stop - GOPHER SOFTWARE!!!

andersontl2
09-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Have that same one, you will like it...I always wanted to be a Mac guy but the first one I bought over 10 years ago I noticed I could not get any software for it, everything was PC based. So I gave up MAC but wish I would have stayed with it, there new stuff is awesome expensive but awesome! You will have a learning curve for sure, but you will notice a PC is a little easier to use than the Mac's...Good luck and have fun!

CHEESE2009
09-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Time to play some PC games!

Ducke
09-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Now you need to get a pedestal mount for the centre of your truck like the Cops have.

Hedgemaster
09-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Time to play some PC games!

I'm not much of a gamer. Maybe download some lawn p0rn...

Mmmmm... Kentucky Bluegrass - "Hubba Hubba!"

:D

Hedgemaster
09-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Now you need to get a pedestal mount for the centre of your truck like the Cops have.

Heh. that would be sweet, but I'm thinking "out of view" may be in my best interest.
Even though I lock the cab 99% of the time, I still worry about having something stolen while I'm working.

bruces
09-08-2011, 11:15 PM
I buy, sell ,and repair laptops fairly often ,and think you made a fine choice .You bought it cheap ,and as long as you are not rough with it it will last as long as the bigger name brands . Its too bad I didnt know you were looking ,this past Sunday I picked up a 4 month old 13" macbook pro with a broken screen for $200.00 , I could of made you a good deal .

Hedgemaster
09-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Woo-Hoo!

I'm posting this from my new laptop. I just hooked it up moments ago and had to try it out.

Still hardwired, as I don't have a wireless setup yet. Finally found an ethernet cable today to connect to the web and get the thing set up.

I need to play around and figure out how/where things are saved to and get my Office software installed - then I can finally make the commitment to getting the Gopher software in hopes of streamlining my work info!

Can't believe I'm on a PC. Feels like I should wash my hands afterwards. :D

ETA:
Gotta figure out how to download Firefox too instead of this Internet Explorer crap.

Growing Green
09-12-2011, 09:00 AM
That's awesome Hedgemaster! I just bought a Dell to use for work as well. I'm installing QuickBooks as we speak. I have a slow day today so doing some things I've been putting off.

Matt

Hedgemaster
01-15-2012, 06:08 PM
BTW, I FINALLY got a wireless router set up today!

The umbilical cord has been cut. :D

Time for Gopher software...

Chilehead
01-15-2012, 07:54 PM
I need a new PC myself. My current model is an old 2004 Compaq Presario. I'd love to have a Panasonic Toughbook, but they are awful pricey. That Asus you have has a very reliable chipset.

Hedgemaster
01-15-2012, 08:21 PM
I need a new PC myself. My current model is an old 2004 Compaq Presario. I'd love to have a Panasonic Toughbook, but they are awful pricey. That Asus you have has a very reliable chipset.

Not sure if it matters, but it's an "Acer". ;)

I am not computer savvy at all. That's partly why it took me SO long to get around to choosing a wireless router to replace the hardwired setup we've had for probably 10-15 years.

Now I'm going to see what I've been missing. I've already had it all through the house and all the way to the back of my yard to see if the signal works everywhere - it does.

jymie
01-15-2012, 08:22 PM
I just bought a HP Pavilion, 3.3 Ghz intel core i3, 6GB Ram, wireless internet, has its own antenna. Very nice, man does this thing hum. Got it through QVC so I could do the payments.

JeffK26
01-15-2012, 09:37 PM
I have the exact same Acer and i have had no problems with it. The dog has even knocked it off the table a couple times...

Firefox is pretty good, but Google Chrome is another option if you don't like Firefox for some reason.