PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried this product ?

john.veolia@gmail.com
09-03-2011, 05:47 PM
If so what did you think ?
http://therazorblade.com/index.html

john.veolia@gmail.com
09-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Anyone ?????????

t608
09-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Holy crap man! those are some blades! Do they slow down the mower though? I ran the gator blades on my 60" exmark and the gator blades slowed it down a little.

john.veolia@gmail.com
09-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Not sure if the even work, just found the web site and was curious. Sounds too good to be true !

mark123
09-03-2011, 10:43 PM
I run two blades on each spindle. I'd like to try these out but I need 18" blades.

Edit - Oh, I see the tri-blades come in 18". Hmm. I may have to try a set. Interesting.

wandfsmall
09-04-2011, 11:44 AM
impossible to keep balanced. A blade will suck down your power very quickly and cause vibration if you do not balance them.

Steve
09-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Wow, the quad blade! Very interesting. I'd be worried about balancing them too!

mark123
09-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Why would these blades be harder to balance than regular blades? I'm not getting it.

Sprinkler Buddy
09-04-2011, 01:53 PM
They would slow the blade speed down and also cause your mower to work harder to run them, burning more fuel.

mark123
09-04-2011, 02:12 PM
They would slow the blade speed down and also cause your mower to work harder to run them, burning more fuel.
Only if they are specifically heavier that the blade already on there. I run two blades per spindle now. It does slow down things a bit but I never have to double cut so it saves me time and gas in that respect. I think I will try the tri-blades to see how they work.

wandfsmall
09-04-2011, 02:20 PM

They should not slow the blade speed down, unless your motor is not strong enough and bogs. But from experience trying to balance a blade like that would be impossible. Hell it would almost be impossible to check it for balance. Besides they look to be universal blades that never fit perfect and would be out of balance the instant you put them on. I plan on looking at them while at GIE but I doubt I would sell them to a customer.

Steve
09-07-2011, 04:01 PM
I think the big problem with balancing a blade that has 4 blades is that you are not just balancing the blade like a normal 2 sided mower blade. You are not only adding 2 more edges that need to be balanced but with those additional edges comes a lot more ways the blade can be off balance due to the different combinations.

Try taking two regular 2 edged mower blades and lay them on top of each other on a blade balancer in the shape of an X.

Next try to sharpen the different edges where both the blades then like parallel with the ground and show they are fully balanced.

I bet it takes a lot more time.

Why doesn't someone here contact that company and see if they can get a few blades to try out and review the product on the forum.

Who knows, they might send you a couple.

mark123
09-07-2011, 04:34 PM
... Why doesn't someone here contact that company and see if they can get a few blades to try out and review the product on the forum.

Who knows, they might send you a couple.
I've got two on the way. Full report to follow.

dhumphryes
09-08-2011, 07:05 PM
sub'd to see how this turns out

mark123
09-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Try taking two regular 2 edged mower blades and lay them on top of each other on a blade balancer in the shape of an X.That's how I'm running my mower now. The clippings are much smaller and it clumps less even in wet weather.

I bet it takes a lot more time. ...
Only because there are more surfaces to sharpen. It's still just about making it equal and opposite. Grind on the heavy side.

john.veolia@gmail.com
09-22-2011, 07:58 PM
I've got two on the way. Full report to follow.

Would like to know how the blades worked....

mark123
09-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Would like to know how the blades worked....Apparently, they shipped yesterday. I'll let you know when I get them.

mark123
09-27-2011, 06:09 AM
Still haven't received the blades.

mark123
09-29-2011, 06:43 PM
I got them today but the tolerance on the center hole was too tight and it wouldn't fit the spindle. They are shipping me out a new center adapter overnight. Looks like these folks will bend over backwards to make things right. I will report how it turns out.

mark123
10-03-2011, 04:42 AM
Well, I was promised the center hole adapters would be shipped overnight on last Thursday. I still haven't received them. I'm very disappointed at this time. I think I'm going to just ask for my money back if I don't get them today.

mark123
10-03-2011, 10:09 AM
The adapters weren't overnighted. I received them Priority mail this morning. That's 3 day delivery versus having them the next morning. Good thing I didn't wait around for them last Friday.

I don't really want to go out in the rain right now but I may have to go try them out.

brian'slawncare
10-03-2011, 12:16 PM
curious to see how these turn out...

mark123
10-03-2011, 12:27 PM
The adapters fit. I got them put on. I mowed my lawn. I took them back off.

Here are my thoughts so far.

They were made too short by about 1/8".

Here is a picture of the original blades end to end length:
http://images.imaginekitty.com/Razor/17.875.jpg

Here is the length of the Razor tri-blade:
http://images.imaginekitty.com/Razor/17.75.jpg
I think I see a design flaw here as well. The blade is shorter on the side away from the sharp edge. This means that every time you sharpen the blade it will get shorter, end to end. Maybe not by much but even the 1/8" difference counts.

Here is how I measured them since there isn't a straight across length on the tri-blade. I stuck them on the same spindle bolt and rotated them to be straight across:
http://images.imaginekitty.com/Razor/how_measured.jpg

Please note that before I got the new adapters I called the company with the concern about the blades being too short and they said they'd make it right, just as they did with the center hole adapter.

As you can see, compared to the OEM blades, the Razor blades are nearly zero-lift:
http://images.imaginekitty.com/Razor/zero_lift.jpg

I found the Razors to throw almost 2 passes. I have a 36" mower so I'd estimate about 60". On the other hand the OEM blades throw just over 5 passes to the right. You can see what I mean by the grass I threw in the street:
http://images.imaginekitty.com/Razor/street.jpg

I also noticed the Razors don't chop the clippings up as finely. Here are the stock blades (it's a bit wet today so it looks a bit clumpy):
http://images.imaginekitty.com/Razor/stock_street.jpg

And here are the Razor clippings:
http://images.imaginekitty.com/Razor/razor_street.jpg

I don't know if the stringers the Razors leave are due to the blades being too short or the lack of lift but here are some pics. It may be hard to see in the pics but it's obvious in person.
http://images.imaginekitty.com/Razor/stringers.jpg
You can see the stringers both in the middle and at the ends.
http://images.imaginekitty.com/Razor/middle.jpg

http://images.imaginekitty.com/Razor/uneven.jpg

I did notice the blades are quieter but low-lift blades are always quieter than high-lift blades.

I noticed no difference in vibration as all blades were balanced.

All this being said, I'm not going to pass judgment yet. I'm going to give them the chance to honor their deal and make things right. In fact, I'm sending this exact thing to them as soon as I post it.

I'm going to ask everyone to also not yet pass judgment or dismiss this yet. Let's see how it's handled as customer service after the sale is just as important as the product.

mark123
10-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Email away.

mark123
10-03-2011, 01:18 PM
They are cutting me a slightly longer blade with an increased lift fin. Sounds like they are going to cover me. I wonder how long it will take to get them though.

Steve
10-03-2011, 03:10 PM
You should be getting free products for such thorough reviews!

mark123
10-03-2011, 05:55 PM
You should be getting free products for such thorough reviews! I like the way you think. :D

mark123
10-08-2011, 07:11 AM
Still no blades. :mad: This is ridiculous.

SECTLANDSCAPING
10-08-2011, 02:25 PM
They seem to be more trouble then there worth.

mark123
10-08-2011, 02:51 PM
They seem to be more trouble then there worth.

I'm not going to argue with that. I think I'm going to ask for my money back.

Steve
10-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Maybe this is a newer business and they are still scaling up to handle mail order?

mark123
10-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Maybe this is a newer business and they are still scaling up to handle mail order?

It's possible. I've tried to contact Charles P. 3 times since my last email and received no reply. I've emailed asking for my money back since they can't seem to send me a set of blades.

cruzgardening
10-12-2011, 12:41 AM
hmm are you returning them and did you use them on a dry day?

mark123
10-12-2011, 04:19 AM
hmm are you returning them and did you use them on a dry day?

If they send me a call tag I will return the blades they sent.

I finally got an email stating they are going to a new manufacturer and apologizing for the delay. I can understand but I need some communication. So far my customer satisfaction is nil.

Charles P
10-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Hello, Yes we are a start up company and with that comes problems as any one who owns a business knows. We researched the product and tested it under various conditions and found not only do you not lose power you do save gas, your blades stay sharper longer and you do reduce vibration and noise. The balance issue: when you get your tires installed they balance them on a 3 or 4 point axis not 2 point, the theory works for blades as they are designed on 3 and 4 points. We laser cut them so they are within 5 thous of an inch, that means they are balanced better than any other blade made. The blades are not made of regular steel as we use a hardened steel that has a high wear resistance and chip resistance. We have raised the back edge surface for higher lift, this will address the issue one of your readers has had. We are also sending the new blades to him this week as we had to have them stress tested and tried, will continue to send him samples. We are focused on being customer driven, in put from customers is valuable to us. We have had manufacturer issues, this has now been resolved by going with a larger manufacturer here in the USA. I look forward to any in put and thank all of you for your time.

Charles P

mark123
10-15-2011, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the post Charles. I'm glad you're getting things worked out.

A couple of questions:
Is there really a such thing as too much lift? I'm sure there is a point of diminishing returns but higher lift means better cut (usually).

Are the lift fins slotted like that to facilitate bending or is it designed for mulching? If for mulching have you tried twisting the teeth to control air flow direction? I'm thinking if they are slotted and not twisted they may a well be solid.

Charles P
10-15-2011, 06:10 PM
The cuts are made for mulching, they are at a slant to improve airflow. Yes you can have to much airflow, when you have to much it will blow out from the bottom and lay the grass down. We have changed the teeth so they increase the mulching effect. The blades we had made from the previous manufacturer were not what we had spec'd, The airflow ramp should have been 30 Deg. not 12 Deg. thus the issue the one reader had. We have fixed the problem and are confident we wont have this issues again. The blades manufactured today are made from mild steel then in some cases heat treated, the bends and curls the blades have are to increase strength. We chose to use a much higher grade of steel to increase strength, blade life, and durability. We are excited to get the blades out as they have been used and tested over the course of 2 years. The blades were tested and proved to not only decrease gas use but also increase speed of mowing and mulch finer. We did not anticipate the issues we were hit with yet they did open a door to a larger and more professional manufacturer.
Our goal is:
1. Make the best product available
2. Make it in the USA
3. To always be customer focused

I invite anyone who would like to give input, voice concerns or anything else to please feel free to call me anytime at: 541-263-1939

Charles P.

Steve
10-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Hi Charles,

Welcome to our forum.

I'd like to say good job on going out there and making something new. On being creative and experimenting.

It's nice to that can-do spirit.

Is there a back story as to how all of this got started and where you initially got the idea to do this? It's such a unique product, I'd figure it have a very interesting story too.

mark123
10-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Let's not make the story too long though. At least not until you get me some blades. Let's go, CP. Heeyah!

Charles P
10-19-2011, 04:10 PM
We started this company after seeing several issues that were not being addressed. I am sure we all have ideas that could improve the industry as a whole, things that the manufacturer ignore.
We looked at areas that have issues, look for a solution, gain input from end users and put the pieces together. If any one has an idea that they would like to see if it has a market and needs help let me know. On our staff for example is: Jennine, retired VP for Gannett/USA TODAY and is considered the best in marketing/advertising in the country, Ken Savage, Owner of a WEB developing company, Mike Fountain, PHD Computer Science. Our staff would like to help anyone who would like to improve the industry. I am excited, I will be delivering the blades to Boughtners Lawn care next week myself, I enjoy meeting people and getting their input. I wanted our company to be like an open forum so that the end users could drive the product, I cant think of any company that opens itself up to others. This lends itself to better products because its made by the people who use it and not a designer/engineer behind a computer. How many times have you said to yourself: I would add more room in the engine compartment so its easy to work on, or I would do it this way. Egineers forget about the end user when they develope the products. AGAIN if you have an idea please feel free to contact us and we will give you all the help and support we have.

Charles

mark123
10-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Well Chuck, all that sounds just dandy but it doesn't mean squat if you can't deliver the promised product. I still don't have my blades. :mad:

john.veolia@gmail.com
10-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Well Chuck, all that sounds just dandy but it doesn't mean squat if you can't deliver the promised product. I still don't have my blades. :mad:

WOW, It's been 48 days since you posted that you ordered the blades.
Go find a blacksmith, he can hammer some out by hand faster.

mark123
10-25-2011, 09:08 PM
WOW, It's been 48 days since you posted that you ordered the blades.
Go find a blacksmith, he can hammer some out by hand faster.

Yeah, I'm just wondering what I have to do to either get a set of blades or just get my money back. Where's Chuck?

Screw it. I just want my money back. I'm done waiting and I'm done being lied to. What a joke.

Charles P
10-25-2011, 11:17 PM
We have your blades with us and are bringing them to you on Saturday. We also are refunding you the money, but still would like you to try our blades at no charge. i have been out for a couple of weeks as I had to undergo chemotherapy and would like to say sorry to all for the inconvenience.

Charles

Charles P
10-25-2011, 11:24 PM
I look forward to meeting you Saturday and delivering you the blades. My Ph# is 541-263-1939

Charles

mark123
10-26-2011, 05:44 AM
Sorry to hear about your health issues. I understand it's personal and why you wouldn't want to talk about it but when us customers are left with no communication and no product what are we to think?

Look, man. I don't need both money and blades. Just one or the other. Keep in mind, I won't be able to try them out until spring if you deliver me the blades. This whole situation should have taken at most 2 weeks and it's been 7 so far.

I'm not going to be available on Saturday, I really wasn't expecting a visit, just a box in the post.

mark123
10-28-2011, 07:27 AM
Well, I went out to go to work this morning and there was a box. Against my better judgment I tried the blades. They do have a better lift angle this time but they are still to short. I tried them on my lawn even though I didn't have the time to spare and while they worked slightly better than the last set of Razors they just don't work a well as the OEM blades. Being too short they still leave stringers in the middle and there is not enough lift to draw in the grass in to the sides. I just can't recommend this product at this time. The company needs more research, lots more. I'm still willing to help them out and give suggestions and try new ideas though.

I guess I will take the refund after all.

mark123
10-28-2011, 04:55 PM
I've been thinking about it all day and I think the reason the blades are too short is because of the design flaw I mentioned in my earlier post. If the blades are made to length and then sharpened then it just goes to show that the design flaw does, in fact, exist. It's just not going to work using the present shape of the blades.

mark123
11-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Well, I hope Charles is OK. I haven't heard anything from anyone at the company since their last message here. No replies to voice mails or emails.

Hedgemaster
11-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Well, I hope Charles is OK. I haven't heard anything from anyone at the company since their last message here. No replies to voice mails or emails.

Hope so.

Maybe they are busy trying to stretch some blades for you?

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/awh/lowres/awhn183l.jpg

mark123
11-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Well, I haven't received my promised refund. I'm very disappointed.

john.veolia@gmail.com
11-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Well, I haven't received my promised refund. I'm very disappointed.

Did you ever get a refund ?????

mark123
11-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Did you ever get a refund ????? Not yet but Charles has contacted me saying that he sent it out.

john.veolia@gmail.com
11-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Not yet but Charles has contacted me saying that he sent it out.

I see, the old "check is in the Mail".

mark123
11-25-2011, 10:37 AM
I received a check in the mail today. I'm calling this ordeal closed for now.