PDA

View Full Version : How to charge for landscaping materials

HelmsLawnInc
08-28-2011, 07:53 PM
We have been asked to do a sod, mulch, and flower bed job and have gotten all the cost for those items but dont know if we should be selling the product to the customer for the price we get it for and only profiting off of the labor charges; or be making a little profit off of materials too?? PLEASE HELP!!

Dragger
08-29-2011, 07:43 AM
We have been asked to do a sod, mulch, and flower bed job and have gotten all the cost for those items but dont know if we should be selling the product to the customer for the price we get it for and only profiting off of the labor charges; or be making a little profit off of materials too?? PLEASE HELP!!

I Mark my material up 10 percent ,that helps offset the cost of going to pick it all up

Sprinkler Buddy
08-29-2011, 10:02 AM
I Mark my material up 10 percent ,that helps offset the cost of going to pick it all up

If your buying at retail yourself, I agree with Dragger. If your buying at wholesale prices, charge the customer the full retail price on materials unless it's less than the 10% of the retail price.

In most cases you should do better than 10% buying wholesale and selling at retail to your customer. Talk with your local nursery, tell them what you do and if they offer wholesale prices to guys like you. I would suspect most nurseries do.

HelmsLawnInc
08-29-2011, 01:21 PM
Thank you very much..I just contacted out Nursery and got a ton of help from them! We appreciate all replys and if anyone has any more info or advice please let us know :)

stevef1201
08-29-2011, 08:46 PM
I buy mulch for 23 dollars a yard, pick up delivered and spread is 75 bucks. Plants I buy for say 3.99 are 12 bucks pick up delivered and planted. Etc, so basically I charge 3 times the cost of the material, that covers direct cost, and time. For installing flower beds I charge by the hour, about 2 hours for layout (less if the customer is easy to please but usually they have vuage instructions untill you have it layed out then want changes) then my hourly rate for removing sod, and installing weed fabric. (there is not much cost in weed fabric) a 10 by 4 planting bed with mulch and 10 plants cost about 250 bucks. I also guarantee weed free for one year, which means I have to spray about once a month take about 5 min while I mow.

Steve
08-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Thank you very much..I just contacted out Nursery and got a ton of help from them

What advice did they have for you?

I also guarantee weed free for one year, which means I have to spray about once a month take about 5 min while I mow.

Would this only apply to current lawn care customers or would this apply to those that just want a new flower bed and dont get lawn care services from you?