PDA

View Full Version : Competition

Shark1611
08-28-2011, 04:05 PM
I love this form and have got so much use out of it. A thing that has been bugging me for some while is if my competition looks over my post and or my customers. Seems like I might be giving out information that could come back on me. I guess what I am saying is I wish there were a way that it was a bit more secure.

mark123
08-28-2011, 05:01 PM
"Say it forget it. Write it regret it."

The internet is public. Just treat it like that. :)

CHEESE2009
08-28-2011, 09:45 PM
I love this form and have got so much use out of it. A thing that has been bugging me for some while is if my competition looks over my post and or my customers. Seems like I might be giving out information that could come back on me. I guess what I am saying is I wish there were a way that it was a bit more secure.

I feel the same, good point.

Hedgemaster
08-29-2011, 12:51 AM
Does your truck have "Shark1611 - Texas Hill Country" written on it?

If not, what kind of things are you posting that would prompt someone to try to figure out who you are and where you work?

It would be nice though if this forum had a "Lounge" section where only registered users could view the posts. That way if you wanted to tell a story, but didn't so much want it connected to your business (wouldn't show up in a Google search), you could post away.

CHEESE2009
08-29-2011, 03:53 AM
The same reason we all may (or may not) look into peoples Facebook's before we hire. With the ability to do background checks on our own in this day and age - the more privacy one would need is difficult to obtain. Our clients do the same, trust me on this. I have a fake account with requests from my clients.

We may not post anything to damage our companies, but in business, everything is a risk.

If I want to complain about a certain client, if I want to talk about my current problems, or if I want advice on a situation - none this will keep our clients confident in us. Sure we are human, but not to our clients.

We can choose to not post certain things, however, wouldn't it be more relaxing if we knew who has or is not reading our posts, in order to have more freedom and discuss more in depth problems?

A quick Google search on every one of us can lead to a post about a client who we may have offended, money problems, our constant bad luck with the equipment, our possible lack of experience, or even ways we try to sell our service - not to mention when we go off about how bad our days can be. If we mention that we bought product for $5 and sold it for $500, this could cause a lot of problems - we all have that one "crazy" client who does his research and just like we get our clients by word of mouth, they can all be taken away.

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/godfatherbrando2smaller.jpg
"Sir, our client knows you think her legs look hot in that little red outfit"

We all share a similar life, and this place is home away from home and you can't disagree. I wouldn't go to anyone else to talk about this junk, so I let my steam off here. Hmm...

Steve
08-29-2011, 11:30 AM
It would be nice though if this forum had a "Lounge" section where only registered users could view the posts. That way if you wanted to tell a story, but didn't so much want it connected to your business (wouldn't show up in a Google search), you could post away.

That is a great idea. Do you think it would make a big difference for members?

CHEESE2009
08-29-2011, 12:39 PM

Well it would for sure eliminate the problem of being frowned upon by our clients, etc.

The only thing I can see, is that many of us might only use that section, leaving nothing for the guests to read. I doubt it though, but it's a variable!!!!

Maybe make it exclusive for certain discussions? Hey, it'll surely get more people to join!

I know I love to rant, it's what keeps me going. hahahaha!!!!

ringahding1
08-29-2011, 06:25 PM
The internet rules info...I'd say leave names out(unless it's positive). Anybody can find what you just found out or want to share about business, because it has already most likely been written or researched.

I don't know what the statistics are when it comes to competition or customers finding out what you wrote or what you have talked about, but chances are it's VERY VERY SMALL...and if they do find it, ahhhh sooooo....there will be more customers and more competition.

Have you ever posted something publicly and received negative feedback? I have, and I always remember stay professional/civil IF I respond back to the negativity.

Worrying never got me anywhere.

Shark1611
08-30-2011, 07:47 AM
Lot of good ideas here and thanks for responding. I think what I am going to do is stop my posting, and watch and learn from you guys that know so much about the business.

Do any of you know how to delete a post?

Thanks again!

Hedgemaster
08-30-2011, 09:32 AM

I dunno, but we have that type of section on a forum I moderate.

Basically, anything not related to the main focus of the forum goes there, and we allow a little more "slack" in the types of topics that are posted there as opposed to what is posted in the rest of the forum since it's not able to be viewed by the public - that is, unless they take a second to join.

CHEESE2009
08-30-2011, 01:03 PM
I think what I am going to do is stop my posting, and watch and learn from you guys that know so much about the business.

Don't take after me, I speak my mind quite a lot, LOL.

Going on a date with the girlfriends cute neighbor in 5 minutes. Oh oh oh...

I was looking in my closet, I have no clothes that don't have holes in them... I've got the same clothes I wore when I was like 15 or so, lmao. Basically, I'm not really a clothes guy. All my clothes are work clothes....

Shark1611
09-01-2011, 12:06 AM
Don't take after me, I speak my mind quite a lot, LOL.

Going on a date with the girlfriends cute neighbor in 5 minutes. Oh oh oh...

I was looking in my closet, I have no clothes that don't have holes in them... I've got the same clothes I wore when I was like 15 or so, lmao. Basically, I'm not really a clothes guy. All my clothes are work clothes....

I should of never posted it and would delete it if I knew how. I am just a odd guy with odd thinking. Thanks...

CHEESE2009
09-01-2011, 09:38 PM
I should of never posted it and would delete it if I knew how. I am just a odd guy with odd thinking. Thanks...

I completely understand, but from what I see, you have nothing to worry about!

t608
09-01-2011, 10:10 PM
As long as you offer good quality service to your customers you have to worry about.

CHEESE2009
09-02-2011, 07:55 PM
If my clients read this, I consider them a bunch of big babies who can't figure out how to use a calendar.

I'm sick of holding all of your hands in order for you to make a damn payment on time for once in your friggen life. Every month it's the same story.

Don't get mad at me if I don't remind you, or I stop cutting your grass. Not my problem, you want service, it's your duty to pay for it.. If you want to complain, take a hike and don't even think about crawling back. You've taken advantage of the wrong company, and that's damn true.

I have this one piece of crap who I'd love to share with you guys.

"I know I owe you for June, July, August, but September is a new month and don't worry about the money I'm good for it. So just come cut my grass, because you will get your money."

Sad, I heard this excuse 3 times already...

Go to hell, and take your gibberish with you.

He only decided to call, because his grass has gotten to the point of embarrassing him. Sucker.... This goes for all my clients, I don't take ****. Business or not, I pick and choose who I keep as a client - remember that!:)

HungryGoatLawns.com
09-03-2011, 12:23 PM
If my clients read this, I consider them a bunch of big babies who can't figure out how to use a calendar.

I'm sick of holding all of your hands in order for you to make a damn payment on time for once in your friggen life. Every month it's the same story.

Don't get mad at me if I don't remind you, or I stop cutting your grass. Not my problem, you want service, it's your duty to pay for it.. If you want to complain, take a hike and don't even think about crawling back. You've taken advantage of the wrong company, and that's damn true.

"I know I owe you for June, July, August, but September is a new month and don't worry about the money I'm good for it. So just come cut my grass, because you will get your money."

He only decided to call, because his grass has gotten to the point of embarrassing him. Sucker.... This goes for all my clients, I don't take ****. Business or not, I pick and choose who I keep as a client - remember that!:)

LOL! you are more patient than I am. I trust them for the first half of the month and they have to trust me for the second. two weeks of work and no money, no more service.

Shark1611
09-06-2011, 10:54 AM
As long as you offer good quality service to your customers you have to worry about.

Well I know that I do and my customers like me. Thank you.

MGarvin
09-06-2011, 04:56 PM

First, hello forum. Maybe I should apologize briefly as I have not been on here in a good while. Lol, coincidence you all speak about slow-paying customers. I had one that didn't take quite that long, but DID take over a month and 1/2 to pay. And get this, they did this LAST season too. I did not expect it this season, because they initiated the request for service this season. Thus, I assumed that problem was done with. My action: after they finally paid up, I stopped mowing. Would have been a good customer up until then.

Shark1611
02-24-2012, 06:21 PM

It would for me. I do not know how you could do this other than we have to have a tax number in lawn care to be able to log onto that part of the forum.

stevef1201
02-24-2012, 07:49 PM
First, I started this business with the help af a lawyer. (you must do this) He gave me a contract and told me to not do any work with a signed contract. He then takes these extra slow payers or no payers ( I have had two) he sues them. They have to pay the contract and his cost (200 an hour). It doesnt take long for the court to make them cough up 1K or more.

LawnTeam
07-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Sad to say, I lurked around here for ages just reading.

Grass Doctor
07-14-2012, 11:40 PM
omg are we into the private forum bs again :D

Hedgemaster
07-15-2012, 12:24 AM
omg are we into the private forum bs again :D

"Again"?

Look at the date this was started. ;)

Godslapper
07-15-2012, 08:04 AM
The only thing I worry about. well not really worried, but I'm pretty sure my employees get on here from time to time so I need to be carefull not to offend them.

But then again I get the feeling they're to stupid to figure out witch one I am. lol.

Jack, if you're reading this. You're not the dumb one.lol.

wat5150
07-15-2012, 10:10 AM
The only thing I worry about. well not really worried, but I'm pretty sure my employees get on here from time to time so I need to be carefull not to offend them.

But then again I get the feeling they're to stupid to figure out witch one I am. lol.

Jack, if you're reading this. You're not the dumb one.lol.

LOL!!! Thats pretty funny.