PDA

View Full Version : Starting A New Adventure

Landscaper2009
08-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Hello Everyone,
I am glad I came across this great site. I have been browsing and there seems to be alot of great people with great advice.
I have owned my own successful landscape design and install company for the last 5 years. I have 2 designers and 16 crew members. we do everything from irrigation to outdoor entertaining areas (ie: fireplaces, bbqs, waterfeatures, and ramadas). we have allways referred our customers out for landscape management until recently I decided that we would like to capture as much of that business as well. We started our LM about two weeks ago and currently are up to an astounding 10 customers but I am being a little picky because we really want only the clients that are looking for a company that does landscape management and not only looking for lawn mowing. I think this will get us more loyalty from our customers as there are so many LC companies in Az.
Recently I have come across the opportunity through some contacts that I have to bid some apartment complex properties. This is where my lack of knowledge is holding me back. I have hired my father-n-law who has been a foremen for the larger companies for the last 20 years. He knows about the time it takes, how many crew, and the scheduling part. The problem I am having is putting together the bid. If anyone has some good advice I am sure willing to listen. I am allways eager to learn more about the industry that we work in. :confused:

Steve
08-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Welcome to our forum!

I am being a little picky because we really want only the clients that are looking for a company that does landscape management and not only looking for lawn mowing.

Can you give us some insight as to why you decided to go into this direction and how you can tell which way the customer wants their service?

Also, how have you found the commercial clients to be similar or different in this? I would guess at first the commercial clients would simply want the lowest price.

Landscaper2009
05-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Well, we are now at 30 residential customers and we just signed a contract with our first HOA property (4 acres of grass and 48 acres og planting and granite areas). Got to buy some new equipment to keep up but I think we are headed in the right direction.:D

Steve
05-28-2012, 09:33 AM
That is fantastic! For the newer startup companies, what would you advise them to do to get to this size?