PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Irene

Steve
08-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Is anyone on the east coast getting prepared for Hurricane Irene? What are you doing to prepare an will you be able to offer any services before or after the storm?

stevef1201
08-26-2011, 05:15 PM
I stock piled a load of 3/4 plywood for covering windows etc, but alas the fickle thing just went somewwhere else.

picframer
08-26-2011, 05:41 PM
I did the usual, hooked the generator up and ran the house on it for an hour, filled 5 gas/fuel cans, bought a 24 of water and that is about it. the critical thing for me is having power as I am on a well, I always have food in the freezer, chainsaws are all operational, I keep my own lines clear however I always check for new growth. Other than that, just business as usual and wait.

Ducke
08-26-2011, 08:25 PM
I don't think it will make it to us But that's what everyone said about Juan and then it kicked us in the *** big time so I will stock up on gas Ran the generator for 1/2 hour to run any old gas through the lines. Stocked up on batteries and drug out the storm kit. To morrow I will take down the bird feeders and wind chimes and tie down anything that may fly around. Then just sit back and enjoy the show. As for services I have already let my customers know I am able to cut up downed trees and branches and do any storm clean up etc..

CHEESE2009
08-27-2011, 07:48 AM
I got to get some tarps. But I got my *** kicked last night and today.

I'm left with a bloody lip and a funny limp, .... women... They shouldn't be allowed to have fingernails. That's all I gotta say.

http://alphaforcecuddles.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/serial-groin-kicker.jpg

The hurricane... bring it on. I'm going back to bed. lol

Ducke
08-27-2011, 09:16 PM
well stopped by the grocery store today and picked up some odds and end .
Picked up a 24 of beer a bottle of THE Captain filled my Jerry cans and put a new chain on my Shtil.
Got a weather up date via my cell around 3 pm today

A tropical storm warning is in effect for western mainland Nova Scotia. Rain at times heavy will begin in Southwestern Nova Scotia Sunday morning
Currently 30 to 40 millimetres of rain is forecast. It is possible that rainfall warnings may be issued as Irene approaches. Also strong southerly winds gusting up to 100 km/h will begin Sunday evening for mainland Nova Scotia.

I am now all charged up and ready to Go.

Dragger
08-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Sharpened the chain on the saw and emailed my customers to let them know

we are here for them if needed

but its been nothing more then a mild wind here in Paw Paw West Virginia

Steve
08-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Now that it has passed, how did everyone fair? Also was there much clean up work in your area?

CHEESE2009
08-29-2011, 01:44 PM
I slept through it. Woke up, saw a lot of yellow cars....

Weirdness...

The weather was worse during the spring, a few trees fell down this time, nothing special. No zombie apocalypse unfortunately...

picframer
08-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Non event for us, wind but not serious

Ducke
08-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Nothing here rather a big let down.
I even bought a new chain for my saw :rolleyes:
But I guess I'll be ready for the next one.

psparaco
09-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Well here in Baltimore, Maryland we sorta got nailed by Irene. I was working my part time job at 7-11 from 10pm-6am when the peak of the storm hit. I recall coming out at one point around 2am to smoke and got drenched on one side from the blowing rain. Came back out 4 hours later to be drenched on the other side since the storm was much farther north and the wind direction changed. I got home from work at 8:30am. My power went out for 5 seconds about 8:45am. My neighbor's across the street lost their power about 5am on sunday and didn't have it back on until Friday night about 11pm. that sucked for them. We lucked out. We had alot of downed branches in the back yard which made me happy. FREE Fire pit wood lol. We had more rain the week prior than from irene though. Now i am keeping a close eye on Katia on where that baby tracks. Tropical storm Lee as we speak is dumping rain on me now as I type. Rain in the forecast every day this week which makes me ask.... Do i attempt top cut WET grass in between the rain this week OR do I hold off til next week and deal with 2 weeks worth of grass growth and lose a week of pay.. I don't know what to do. Gonna try to head out in the AM to cut some I hope.

Paul

swstout
09-09-2011, 03:06 AM
Now that it has passed, how did everyone fair? Also was there much clean up work in your area?

Between Irene and Lee we got clobbered twice. The main problem here was rain saturated ground. So saturated that the wind uprooted many Pine trees. Just got power back today. I was the only one in my neighborhood that had a generator.

There were so many trees down that roads were impassable. Tuesday, a chopper came to get one of my neighbors. Just in time - a 7 lb. 9 oz. girl. They named her Irene!

Tomorrow, I will go and get groceries and propane if I can get through. They said they will have 151 open in the morning. Still have food, but not what I want. Looking foreward to a real meal! I don't care of I ever have tuna again.

I had the pins removed from my leg 2 weeks ago. Hopefully, I can get the cast off tomorrow.

Steve

Steve
09-10-2011, 12:20 PM
I would never had thought South Carolina was such an adventurous place! WOW do you have a lot going on over there!

SECTLANDSCAPING
09-11-2011, 11:56 PM
The rain last week caused more problems due to flooding. It rained 4 days in a row.

As far as Irene some trees fell. A few thousand lost power. Picked up some gutter jobs before the storm and some tree/stick removal after. Nothing serious at all. We typically have noreasters cause more damage.