PDA

View Full Version : Gas hedge trimmer?

ataboyj
08-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Any suggestion on a good gas hedge trimmer?? thanks

Sprinkler Buddy
08-26-2011, 08:48 AM
I would recommend one with a rotating head, saves the back, if your looking at commercial grade equipment.

Steve
08-26-2011, 02:37 PM
We were recently talking about the benefits of a 4 cycle trimmer vs a 2 cycle one.

Also, you might want one with a single cutting side because they tend to be safer.

hotwired
08-27-2011, 04:22 AM
I have never used a 4 cycle but would love to try. I genearlly use the cheap echo hc-150's coupled with the HT extension on the PAS split booms. THAT tends to save on the back as well. Instead of holding the trimmer out in front of you, you have a weedwacker-type setup with a lighter ht attachment out in front. I know I can trim for 2-3 hours straight before my back starts to "give me the finger" vs. 20 minutes with the HC-150.

I love the quietness and lack of odor with electric, but just never caught on. Something psychological about the cord always turned me off. I've heard they have some great battery operated ones out there now though!

wandfsmall
08-27-2011, 06:48 AM
We were recently talking about the benefits of a 4 cycle trimmer vs a 2 cycle one.

Also, you might want one with a single cutting side because they tend to be safer.

one thing to note when picking up a 4cycle is they do not take angles well, meaning that you can not have them tilted to one side for too long without damaging the engine. Just a note to remember when buying something like a hedge trimmer that you run on its side a lot.

Steve
08-27-2011, 01:01 PM
one thing to note when picking up a 4cycle is they do not take angles well

Oh yes that was something that came up in the discussion too. Very good point.

bruces
08-27-2011, 02:36 PM
I have a craftsman and wouldnt buy another ,runs perfectly but its blade design limits you to too small branches .

Steve
08-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Is that an electric or gas model?

bruces
08-29-2011, 11:23 AM
mine is the biggest gas one they have at sears ,it would be fine for a homeowner that has small diameter hedges ,but I have a cedar hedge as tall as the hydro lines so it wont cut a good portion of that ,and if your using it on customers hedges its very limited by the size branches it can handle .I wouldnt buy another for commercial use as it just isnt capable of handling any larger hedges .

Yard Elements
08-31-2011, 12:19 AM
My Echo is Awesome, I had a guy fall off a ladder and get cut with one though, he got 17stiches, he was trying to be kung fu hedge trimmer.

Steve
08-31-2011, 04:00 PM
Oh gosh that could have been really nasty! Did anything else come of it? I could see how one might be really worried when that happens.

Also, have any policies changed now about the use of hedge trimmers on ladders?

Yard Elements
09-01-2011, 08:34 PM
mostly I have learned that I have to watch what my employees are doing and train them better. :)