PDA

View Full Version : To drop or not to drop... That's the question

Rodriguez11
08-23-2011, 05:54 PM
Ok so I am sitting at home just relaxing and I get a call from one of my workers that says.. " Hey boss someone is planting about 50 small trees and building small flower beds at ABC property of ours." WHAT THE HELL!!! So i go up to the property and talk to the manager there today. She tells me she did not even know this was going to happen and that it is the owner of the properties that chose to do this work. She also said she did not know that I do this kind of stuff and that the owner probably did not know either. That is quite a lot of money I am missing out on and not happy about it at all! I do these properties for bottom line pricing because the owner gave me 3 small strip mall type areas to cut. I feel like I really got screwed, apparently I need to let them know I can do more than mow, weedeat, and edge!! Good thing my new brochures come in tomorrow, They will get about 50 of them so they wont forget! Anyone ever have trouble with customers understanding you do everything landscape wise?

picframer
08-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Always told my clients everything the company could do when it comes to their property, did a walk around suggesting items they had not mentioned, posted everything on the website and generally made them aware, anything a homeowner could want, we have the equipment to do it.

In the case you mention, grin and bear it, consider it a learning experience and ensure all your current and future customers are aware of what you can do.

It's also important to note, the property owner can do pretty much anything they want without consulting the property manager.

Rodriguez11
08-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Grin and bear it is what I am doing!! But I am definitely going to make it a point that i let everyone know what all I can do. I had it on my card and have told the property manager to give me a call about anything landscape wise. But obviously I informed the wrong person about what I can do.

picframer
08-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Grin and bear it is what I am doing!! But I am definitely going to make it a point that i let everyone know what all I can do. I had it on my card and have told the property manager to give me a call about anything landscape wise. But obviously I informed the wrong person about what I can do.

I just looked at your business cards, it does not list the service in this post, landscaping, flower beds, privacy garden fence etc.

Steve
08-24-2011, 01:00 PM
As you reflect on this now, do you feel the owner was trying to slight you or was it just they didn't even think you could perform this job?

If they didn't think you could perform the job, what will you do to avoid this in the future?

It also makes you wonder how many upsells you could be getting if customers knew all that you could do.

Sprinkler Buddy
08-24-2011, 01:07 PM
I would politely let them know how you feel and leave it at that, remember the guy doing the work probably also does lawn maintenance as well. I understand you would have liked the job but you have the steady job which is the one I would want to keep. Don't end up losing them both.

Rodriguez11
08-30-2011, 09:00 PM
WELL.......... I decided not to say anything about the guy planting trees. I got a voicemail today saying my services are no longer needed and that the owner decided to take on another bid and give the company a try. I am in a little bit of a shock because I was already doing this for a rock bottom price since he cut me earlier in the season when I didnt have much work and was really needing them. Was sitting at $650 a month for technically 6 properties, he decided to get someone to bid and they came down to $450 and at the time I was working by myself and $450 a month was still a lot for me. came out to $37.50 each cut!! for commercial jobs! I was really just wanting to ride it out for the season and drop them! I have learned my lesson about not using contracts. But I cannot believe after two years of cutting, I just get dropped!

Sprinkler Buddy
08-30-2011, 10:34 PM
If that was a year around account, it's better they dropped you now, less gas and labor you got coming out only to let them go after the season was over. I wouldn't want to work for someone that didn't want me any longer anyhow.

Lot of guys coming into this business and just trying to build it up before the season is over, you just got under cut my friend. Let the hate go and move on.

Steve
08-31-2011, 03:56 PM
I was already doing this for a rock bottom price since he cut me earlier in the season when I didnt have much work and was really needing them.

What do you feel the job should have been bid at?

anna23
09-02-2011, 12:28 PM
ther is always going to be that customer that is talked into going with another company..its nothing personal, its just some customers arent loyal..of course you were probably on time every week and were giving them rock bottom prices...some people will ALWAYS do that no mater how good your service is, the grass is always greener on the other side to them..we are having a issue with one of our commertial properties right now..but in this case they are trying to get us to do free work for them to keep us..but thats not going to hapen, they already used up all ther freebees and are starting to become rude. We submitted the monthly bill last month and the general contractor looked at it and said "170$ for a new timer install...how long did it take you to put it in..10 dollars an hour so that should be 20 bucks" we laughed in his face and said we were not going to lower the price so he told us not to touch anything that he will handle the repairs until further notice, so this month we have noticed side jobs being done by other companys at the property..and its funny cuz i know they arent charging 10 dollars an hour for there services, actually they look like they are charging allot more than what we would charge! We are considering dropping them..we have plenty of customers and we are at the point in our buisness that we can be picky and drop annoying customers that are costing us more than they are worth.

Steve
09-04-2011, 11:36 AM
but in this case they are trying to get us to do free work for them to keep us..but thats not going to hapen, they already used up all ther freebees and are starting to become rude.

What other things have they asked to be done for free? I think this is very interesting and useful for newer lawn care businesses that might be enticed to go down this path in order to keep a customer.