PDA

View Full Version : Things You Don't Tell Your Wife...

Hedgemaster
08-18-2011, 01:14 AM
Here, I'll start.

Today I flipped my mower. Yeah, my push mower - and not just upside down - went right over a 4' wall as well!

Holy CRAP! It all went in slow motion. Hard to describe... back yard is a slope down towards the back of the house which ends with a sharp drop-off down about 6 more feet before the yard ends at a wall with a patio 4' below.

Well, I was doing the old stand at the top of the hill and lower the mower at an angle, before pulling it up again backwards trick, when good old gravity came out to play. I felt the mower start to tip and tried to torque it with my wrist to stop it from going, but it was too late. Over it went onto it's back - but only for a split second before it continued to roll like an alligator spinning with it's kill. That damned thing went right over that wall and ended up nose down with the front wheels about an inch from the patio - a bracket for the handle had caught on the top edge of the wall preventing it from free falling that last inch to an almost certain death! LOL!

To my amazement, I was still holding on with one hand! I saw that I had no choice but to "drop" it, so I let it "bounce" down onto its wheels and jumped down to comfort my baby. I held her tight and told her that "everything would be OK". I hated to lie, but she had just been through a frightening ordeal, and I needed her to lie still, and be calm while I assessed the damage.

Wheels all look straight. Good. Handle isn't bent. Good.
Some slight scuffs across the plastic on top of the engine. Not bad - could have broken off completely.
Ouch! Rough gouges right through her shiny, red paint, and deep into the aluminum on the right side. That's gotta hurt. I think there's gonna be a scar.

After she calmed down and having inspected the underside, I fired her up again. Good news - everything seems to be functioning. Bad news - How the FRICK am I going to get the mower back UP there?! Ugh.

Irony: At this home, there is a small, 8x14 strip of grass that I cut with my line trimmer because there is no access for the mower without going UP 15 steps in the front or coming DOWN 8 steps in the back. (at the wall I just went over) I "don't do steps". Mower is too heavy and I'm not willing to risk messing up my back.
Anyway, the "ironic part" is that NOW I can MOW the patch of grass that I never could before! LOL!!!
It took some thinking, but I was finally able to get the mower back up over the wall and finish the job.

Close call. I probably shouldn't tell the wife. (She was freaking out because I called and told her I was stung by a ground be the other day)

CHEESE2009
08-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Ya I wouldn't tell your wife that if I were you.

I had a similar scenario the other month and it's never pleasant.

"How are you gonna get the tractor back out?"
I don't know, but I'm happy as hell right now that I got it in the back!

Sprinkler Buddy
08-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Love the story! I would get an el-cheapo mower and leave it their if you have a place to hide it with the customers permission.

Steve
08-18-2011, 02:45 PM
First off, I am glad you are alright!

Is there a safer way you can do this in the future?

This kind of reminds me of Rodney Dangerfield from the movie Back To School when he said to his son "Jason, you don't lie to your father, you lie to girls."

bruces
08-18-2011, 09:32 PM
hedge ,you have posted several times that you dont do stairs because your mower is too heavy .Fair enough ,my back is crap ,so I do see your point .Anyways ,have you ever thought of purchasing an old two stroke aluminum deck lawnboy so you can tackle these jobs ? I would think you could charge a little "mower " for the stair service ,and those mowers usually run and cut great , and weigh practically nothing .

Hedgemaster
08-18-2011, 09:58 PM
First off, I am glad you are alright!

Is there a safer way you can do this in the future?

This kind of reminds me of Rodney Dangerfield from the movie Back To School when he said to his son "Jason, you don't lie to your father, you lie to girls."

Thanks. Yeah, I was "slightly" concerned for my safety, but apparently not enough to let go of the damned thing and just let it fall. Not the best course of action, but it happened so quickly.

Safer? Sure - just use the sting trimmer instead of being greedy with the mower. Also I would highly recommend removing any bungee cords from the dead man's handle when working near a hillside.

Hedgemaster
08-18-2011, 10:05 PM
hedge ,you have posted several times that you dont do stairs because your mower is too heavy .Fair enough ,my back is crap ,so I do see your point .Anyways ,have you ever thought of purchasing an old two stroke aluminum deck lawnboy so you can tackle these jobs ? I would think you could charge a little "mower " for the stair service ,and those mowers usually run and cut great , and weigh practically nothing .

You know, I used to wonder why I would see so many trucks running around with one person and three mowers in the back - now I know why.
Sometimes a little lightweight bugger is all that is needed and would likely all but eliminate the "stairs" issue. Maybe next season I'll get one.

The only problem is my current setup only allows me to haul one mower at a time. I guess I could work those properties into a "trailer day". Heck, I'm starting to think about a wide deck walk behind, so at that point I'll HAVE to start dragging the trailer around with me.

bruces
08-18-2011, 10:47 PM
get a lawnboy,fold the handle,then stick it under your cap .

Steve
08-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Also I would highly recommend removing any bungee cords from the dead man's handle when working near a hillside.

Oh wow, can you imagine what kind of mess could have happened with the bungee cord on it like that? Yikes!

LawnBoy0311
11-15-2012, 12:24 PM
"Things you don't tell your wife..." I almost crashed while watching a smokin hot girl running. Then say "Don't worry though, I didn't crash, AND I still got to watch!"

stevef1201
11-15-2012, 04:09 PM
have never told the wife about the one job I was doing, the neighbor did not know I was working in the back yard when she came out to sunbathe -nude! It took two hours longer to trim that hedge. which I did with shears instead of a trimmer as they were quieter.
That was several years ago. Nothing recently

HPI_Savage25
11-15-2012, 05:23 PM
have never told the wife about the one job I was doing, the neighbor did not know I was working in the back yard when she came out to sunbathe -nude! It took two hours longer to trim that hedge. which I did with shears instead of a trimmer as they were quieter.

Hahah NICE!!! I don't think I would have ever finished that hedge. :D

Snip....stare...snip...stare...snip...stare....

patrick6411
11-16-2012, 08:58 AM

Need help next summer on that job? I will work cheap :P

CHEESE2009
11-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Just found this topic in my email... LOL

So many times I nearly smashed into concrete flower boxes that the city puts out in the middle of the road, I'm too busy staring at the ladies waiting at the bus stop wearing short skirts.

I did something romantic with one of my exes though, I drove past one of the flower boxes going 40km/h and grabbed a flower out with my hand, from the truck, and gave it to her, she was sitting in the passenger seat and she had no damn clue where the flower came from.

I told her I was a magician part time.

Steve
11-19-2012, 12:07 PM
I told her I was a magician part time.

That was smooth. ;)

Hedgemaster
10-22-2013, 10:29 PM
I had my first scare with my 36" walk behind last week.

I was mowing a lawn I've cut all season and went around an obstacle in the back yard from a different direction this time. Bad move.

The back tire dropped into a small depression causing the front to pop up and me to lose my footing.
The mower was headed toward the house just 5' away as I slipped and watched in slow motion as my feet were sliding towards the back of the mower deck. I don't know if my feet would have actually fit under it, but I wasn't about to find out, and just let go of the mower and watched it slam back down to the ground, and head for the house.

It shut off JUST as it rolled into the building. Actually, it is an enclosed sunroom built on a deck on the ground level. The mower ran over some concrete flowerbed edging stones and the front of the mower ended up under the decking with the muffler pressed against the decking face board.
There was a small gouge in the wood, but after getting the mower started and backed out, I looked it over and found no damage!

My feet are fine, the mower is fine, and after touching up the stain, the deck is fine.

Scared the crap out of me as it was happening though.

LawnBoy0311
10-23-2013, 06:38 AM
I had my first scare with my 36" walk behind last week.

I was mowing a lawn I've cut all season and went around an obstacle in the back yard from a different direction this time. Bad move.

The back tire dropped into a small depression causing the front to pop up and me to lose my footing.
The mower was headed toward the house just 5' away as I slipped and watched in slow motion as my feet were sliding towards the back of the mower deck. I don't know if my feet would have actually fit under it, but I wasn't about to find out, and just let go of the mower and watched it slam back down to the ground, and head for the house.

It shut off JUST as it rolled into the building. Actually, it is an enclosed sunroom built on a deck on the ground level. The mower ran over some concrete flowerbed edging stones and the front of the mower ended up under the decking with the muffler pressed against the decking face board.
There was a small gouge in the wood, but after getting the mower started and backed out, I looked it over and found no damage!

My feet are fine, the mower is fine, and after touching up the stain, the deck is fine.

Scared the crap out of me as it was happening though.

Did you check your underwear to see if that was fine too? :D

Glad to know you made it out alive on that one! Sounds like it could have gotten ugly fast!

Steve
10-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Holy crap! I am glad nothing happened but it is amazing how fast accidents can occur!

It makes you wonder if something could be designed, like a bar that goes along the back, when pushed forwards, it shuts off the engine.

Is there any guard on the back of your mower now?

I found more interesting reading on this here.
Was a manufacturer at fault for a mower without advanced safety features? (http://machinedesign.com/guest-commentary/safety-files-was-manufacturer-fault-mower-without-advanced-safety-features)

And also here (http://www.hillgardens.com/mower_safety.htm).

As far as I'm concerned, the most valuable safety feature is the rear toe guard—the rubber or Click on photo for a larger view. thick, flexible plastic thing that drags on the ground behind the mower

Florida Lawn Man
10-23-2013, 06:43 PM
I had my first scare with my 36" walk behind last week

We call that a Religious Experience around the shop LOL!

I thought it would be cool to were my Justin boots to work when I was younger, I was on the Bunton riding on the dummy wheel, my heels caught the ground and pulled the nice leather slicked bottom boots right off the velki, I hit my chin on the grease fitting and needed 9 stitches. My hands never left the handles LOL! Right when it becomes 2nd nature WAM!!

stevef1201
10-23-2013, 08:05 PM
Hahah NICE!!! I don't think I would have ever finished that hedge. :D

Snip....stare...snip...stare...snip...stare....

This is a 15 minute job, she was 22, blond, and would have never had trouble drowning, if you know what II mean

stevef1201
10-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Did you check your underwear to see if that was fine too? :D

Glad to know you made it out alive on that one! Sounds like it could have gotten ugly fast!

Underwear is in the trash. Right?

Hedgemaster
10-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Haha! Yeah, definitely a "drawer checker".

I've had minor slip-ups where I tend to "hang on" and get jerked before I can slam the brake on, but this time the thought of my feet headed towards the deck had me just let that sucker go!

It DOES have a shutoff - Sensor Grips sense the presence of your hands and teh engine quits if no contact is detected. It worked, but it still covered 5' of ground before it stopped.

TamMik
10-30-2013, 04:54 PM
My wife who helps me out occasionally turned a brand new walk behind off a sloped yard,down a 6ft bank and parked it upside down in the homeowners paved drive.she thought that was the coolest thing ever.So i fired her....again.:eek:

Steve
10-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Holy crap! Was she belted in? That could have been a disaster!

Hedgemaster
10-30-2013, 08:24 PM
Holy crap! Was she belted in? That could have been a disaster!

Seatbelts on a walk behind?

:D

TamMik
10-31-2013, 10:56 AM
Seatbelts on a walk behind?

:D
:eek: No belt.Which is probably a good thing.Would have hated to seen her hurt.Besides being my wife,she's a hoot to work with.

LawnBoy0311
10-31-2013, 01:31 PM
Thats reason # 108932457592390435601 why my wife won't work for me.

Steve
10-31-2013, 04:34 PM
Whoops I misread that and was thinking a ztr.

http://nasdonline.org/static_content/documents/113/1.jpg

KevinsLawns
11-02-2013, 06:41 PM
I am injurin my back all the time loading and unloading equipment. I can't turn too fast or twist much at all. If I have to look to one side or the other, i tend to tuen my whole body to look because my neck hurts.

I don't tell the wife about it but she knows. She knows all. :eek: