PDA

View Full Version : Truck vs. Van

pblawncare
08-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Which do you guys prefer for doing regular maintenance, a pickup truck or a van. I'm debating on a van so I can be more organized and can lock certain things up easier. thoughts? I love my truck, but its just a mess all the time.

Hedgemaster
08-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Look around you. How many vans do you see in use with lawn services?
There's your "general" answer. Everyone is different though. Maybe it would work for you.

Around here you see three basic setups:
1. Dump truck pulling a huge trailer
2. Pickup truck pulling a trailer (of varying sizes)
3. Pickup truck with a mower or three tossed in the bed

I'm a bit different in that I have started out using my daily driver (truck) that has a cap on it. I didn't want to remove the cap and the mower wouldn't fit in it with the cap on, so I bought a cargo carrier that slips into the receiver, and I haul my mower (push) on that. Similar to your reasoning for using a van, I'm able to keep my tools in the truck bed, out of the elements, and out of sight for the most part. I can also lock the cap, although it certainly wouldn't deter anyone intent on breaking in.

I also have a 5x8 trailer, but 95% of the time I use the setup described above. It works for me for now.

Steve
08-15-2011, 02:16 PM
With a van, how would you deal with having gas in your driving compartment?

XtreemGreen
08-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Dam... Here I thought We were going to see a crash between a truck and van...

Steve
08-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Maybe a van front end with a cube on the back? That might be ideal.

Also, found these pictures of a van and a pickup covered in artificial turf! WOW they are different and do stand out!

monoshock
08-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Van pulling a open 6x12 trailer for me.

Steve
08-17-2011, 01:53 PM
What made you decide to go with a van over say a pickup? What do you like about the van or dislike about it?

monoshock
08-17-2011, 05:47 PM
What made you decide to go with a van over say a pickup? What do you like about the van or dislike about it?I like being able to lock my small tools inside out of the weather and away for crooks. Dislikes, maybe if your trimmer or blower leaks(which mine don't) you will smell gas fumes for ever and a day.

CHEESE2009
08-17-2011, 06:07 PM
I will end this.

Vans

Usually difficult to find with 4WD
Less towing capacity
Chance of injury or death is extremely high if you have equipment in the back.
Debris and stains will cause deterioration.
Vans are clumsy.

Personally, would you be proud to pick up chicks in a van that stinks of fuel? Get a truck.

Truck

4WD is not rare
Huge towing capacity
If you don't have the money for a trailer, buy a bed cover and bingo, you'll be just like a van but better.LINK (http://leer.com/)

Trucks are probably less expensive if you are looking for something new. Very weird....

brian'slawncare
08-18-2011, 05:29 PM
what about a truck with storage on the sides and bed in the center? I typically see plumbers using them

kinda like this but without the black parts on the top..

http://www.sanjoseplumbing.us/images/plumbing-truck.jpg

or this without the ladder rack..

http://www.castilloplumbing.com/assets/images/Castillo_PlumbingTruck.jpg

I think their great because you have a bed for things but also a place to lock your things away in. but what if they sell cargo boxes that fit in pick ups?

pblawncare
08-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Brian,

I like what your talking about the best, most of us use the racks on the trailers for blowers and trimmers anyway, but I like being able to keep things on the truck for those "just in case" moments. being prepared for ANYTHING is how I like to think.

calebmoss
08-20-2011, 08:28 PM
how about slt

http://www.superlawntrucks.com/news-and-press-article-66.aspx

Steve
08-22-2011, 11:49 AM
I don't think I have ever heard of a single forum member purchasing one of their trucks. They look great but I think the price keeps most away.

brian'slawncare
08-23-2011, 05:30 PM
what about just getting an enclose box trailer and lock all your stuff in there?