PDA

View Full Version : DOT number

tiedeman
03-10-2007, 05:56 PM
I just read in my local paper, that by Jan 1st of 2009, all commercial vehicles in Michigan must have a DOT number on it. Even if they are not driving out of state.

Anybody else know some information about this?

KimKriel
03-10-2007, 11:20 PM
I went to their web site and couldnt find anything newer than 2005 and some 2006 publications. Either its hidden or they havent took the time to post it. Any ideal how much thats gonna cost us?

tiedeman
03-11-2007, 12:02 AM
I really don't know.

This is what I do know though. My cousin works for an excavating company. Just this past week he went to a motor vehicle regulation meeting in regards to new regulations and what to expect for the upcoming years. The group of them were told by the speaker, who is a retired officer, that the State Police posts in the state of Michigan are short on money big time because of the number of state cuts. In order to generate more revenue, the motor carrier division of the state police are going to start cracking down on all commercial vehicles. They are going to check anywhere from vehicle lettering, to making sure the load is secure. Even if you are doing nothing wrong while driving, they are still going to pull you over to make sure that everything is up to par.

KimKriel
03-11-2007, 12:19 AM
That makes sense I did read alot about how they need money, however it was unclear how they were going to get it. Well lets hope this season finds us who live in the GRAND state of MI without unwarranted tickets.

kc2006
03-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Someone told me that last year, so I went online and did some reading. Now this is for Ohio but after talking with DOT they said it wasn't their deal it would be PUCO. So i called PUCO up and they told me there was no such thing going into effect. He then said that I'm not hauling commercially, because it's my own equipment I didn't have to have a DOT number.

kc2006
03-14-2007, 10:26 AM
BTW, if you do end up having to put DOT numbers on, its not the fee's that are bad, its all the stuff you have to do. All the safety equipment that needs added to the truck, I believe you'd have to keep a driving log, you might have to take courses for safety.

I think it was in Ohio or PA but they made it so if your trailer is so big and your not commercial you still need to follow DOT. A guy was hauling his race car and his trailer was big enough so he got fined a bunch of money because he didn't have a log or DOT numbers or safety equipment.