PDA

View Full Version : Intro to Living Systems

limbwalker2002
08-13-2011, 06:45 PM
So, I've been doing lawns since I was in high school - 20+ years ago. I've always been employed in seasonal jobs (outside work), and have continued with lawns and tree care as supplemental income. Last winter I decided I was unhappy enough with my 'real' job and tired enough of turning down side jobs that I'd jump into my own business.
I live in North Idaho, in an area that most would describe as rural. My 'base' working area has a population of about 300. I have dipped into mailings, and make sure my cards are on local bulletin boards, but most of my work comes from referrals (I don't even offer discounts for them). I'm fortunate because my work is viewed as the highest quality, and I place more emphasis on timeliness and communication than my competitors. I have around 15 steady clients, and a few others who I work for on occasion. It's tight financially, but if next year goes as well as this one has, it looks like I will 'break through'.
My equipment is old, but dependable, and well maintained. I run a riding mower, a push mower, weedeater, blower, etc. I try to work all of my jobs by myself - less hassle, better quality control, more enjoyable. I like doing lawns, and when I have a 'crew' I end up doing all of the weedeating ('cause I don't trust anyone else to), and others do the mowing - which I find to be the most enjoyable. I also love to hook my clients up with sweet patterns in their lawns, and as of now, don't have anyone else I can count on that for (although my 13 yr-old son is on his way to that point).
BTW - I have 2 riding mowers, a push mower, 2 nice weedeaters, a blower, lots of pruning saws and necessary ladders, I figure close to $3,000 worth of equipment, as well as my truck, and I've spent AT MOST $800 to aquire that. The rest has come through bartering, which in today's economy is a good way to get stuff you want.
I've already benefitted from some posts on this site - look forward to more - and hopefully can offer advice that's useful to others.

Steve
08-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Welcome to our forum!

As you look ahead, where would you like to take your business? What goals would you like to hit with it?